[Tutorial] Sound Extraction and basic modding

+
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9034270 said:
Did anyone make a map of where various music from the game is found?

Don't know if this is exactly what you're wanting but if you've extracted the games files then the "soundbanksinfo.xml" (D:\uncooked\soundbanks\pc\soundbanksinfo.xml) contains the sounds and music and their respective file ID so you can search for them within the content folders.

e.g. if you want all music relating to Kaer Morhen search within the soundbanksinfo.xml for "kaermorhen" the File ID's can then be used to search the content folder for the .wem files.

Also if I understand it correctly then the playgo_chunks.csv (D:\uncooked\engine\misc\playgo_chunks.csv) shows which region in game relates to which content folder. Therefore using this and the soundbanksinfo.xml I think you could find all of the music for the different regions.

Hope this helps in some way.

alphastorm7;n9118870 said:
Don't know if this is exactly what you're wanting but if you've extracted the games files then the "soundbanksinfo.xml" (D:\uncooked\soundbanks\pc\soundbanksinfo.xml) contains the sounds and music and their respective file ID so you can search for them within the content folders.

e.g. if you want all music relating to Kaer Morhen search within the soundbanksinfo.xml for "kaermorhen" the File ID's can then be used to search the content folder for the .wem files.

Where are those coming from? I've extracted sound cache files as the method above prescribes, and got tons of bnk, wem and ogg eventually. I didn't get any xml files.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9119950 said:
Today, 20:56 Originally posted by alphastorm7 View Post
e.g. if you want all music relating to Kaer Morhen search within the soundbanksinfo.xml for "kaermorhen" the File ID's can then be used to search the content folder for the .wem files. Where are those coming from? I've extracted sound cache files as the method above prescribes, and got tons of bnk, wem and ogg eventually. I didn't get any xml files.

All of this is in the tutorial

marzipanstan;n9119990 said:
All of this is in the tutorial

I don't see any mention of xml files in the tutorial. I'm referring to the first post in this thread. Do you mean something else? For the reference, I'm doing all this on Linux, and built tools mentioned in the first post from source to run them.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9120020 said:
I don't see any mention of xml files in the tutorial. I'm referring to the first post in this thread. Do you mean something else

Yup my previous replies about having made a full tutorial series on sound modding. Here's the thread with links to all three videos

Edit: I cover everything, start to finish, xml and trimming and everything, in those videos, except for the bnk re-building. The stickied comment in the third video covers that part

marzipanstan;n9120030 said:
Yup my previous replies about having made a full tutorial series on sound modding. Here's the thread with links to all three videos

Edit: I cover everything, start to finish, xml and trimming and everything, in those videos, except for the bnk re-building. The stickied comment in the third video covers that part

Ah, thanks. I'll take a look and check if it's feasible to extract those xml lists on Linux.

marzipanstan;n9120090 said:
Holy crap I've never touched Linux in my life. Uhhh if you can run python scripts, divinity sound converter, and Wwise on Linux then my tutorial should work fine for you

I don't need sound converter - resulted ogg files are already usable for me. Just need to figure out how to extract the mappings (title to file), which is that xml file.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9120120 said:
I don't need sound converter - resulted ogg files are already usable for me.

Mmm there are a lot of conversions and the final one is wave>wem so even if you don't need divinity you'll need something that can reliably do that last conversion

marzipanstan;n9120160 said:
Mmm there are a lot of conversions and the final one is wave>wem so even if you don't need divinity you'll need something that can reliably do that last conversion

I mean, my point is not to mod TW3, but simply to extract audio from it, and then map individual files to track titles. I.e. just a subset of your whole process.

I still didn't quite get how to do the step you call "uncook" there, to get soundbanksinfo.xml. At least I didn't find that in the video. What tools are used for it?

Oh word that's the first step of doing most things with the game. You'll need the mod tools and maybe a GUI if you want. That's a subject for just like first steps of general W3 modding tutorials like the classic Gopher one

So I suppose ModKit will be needed? There is no easier way to extract that file?

I just hope ModKit will work in Wine, otherwise it will be a problem.

Last edited:
OK, it worked in Wine. Something like this:

Code:
wcc_lite uncook -indir=C:/<game_dir>/content/content0/bundles -outdir=<target-dir> -infile=C:/<game_dir>/content/content0/bundles/xml.bundle

The file ends up in

Code:
<target-dir>/soundbanks/pc/soundbanksinfo.xml

I updated my script here with details.

Last edited:
It happened to me just now on latest Win10:

QuickBMS couldn't extract the sound files. Fix is simple, run quickbms as administrator and you should be good to go!

Top Bottom