How to make your own DLC and add new files to the game some thoughts and a guide.

+
Allright so I'm having a bit of trouble with this. I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I followed all the steps a couple of times and these were my results:

If anyone can tell, judging by these pictures where exactly I've gone wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is how the final result is supposed to look: (it works fine without adding it as DLC, but I'd like it to work as DLC)

Attachments

• witcher3_2015_11_13_19_47_52_100.jpg
    witcher3_2015_11_13_19_47_52_100.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 130
  • witcher3_2015_11_14_14_46_14_316.jpg
    witcher3_2015_11_14_14_46_14_316.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 127
  • witcher3_2015_11_11_15_52_37_936.jpg
    witcher3_2015_11_11_15_52_37_936.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 113
  • witcher3_2015_11_11_21_26_20_276.jpg
    witcher3_2015_11_11_21_26_20_276.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 113
Allright so I'm having a bit of trouble with this. I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I followed all the steps a couple of times and these were my results:

If anyone can tell, judging by these pictures where exactly I've gone wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is how the final result is supposed to look: (it works fine without adding it as DLC, but I'd like it to work as DLC)

Haha, I remember these messy looking things. In my progress of finding out how this works I ended up with stuff that looked similar.

Here's my guess. You probably fucked up something regarding the texture.cache and related textures / mesh .xml etc. make sure! all pathes to textures.xbm etc. are pointing to the right pathes (dlc folder etc.).

Also make sure that when you edit the .w2ent's that you ALWAYS also edit the _flatCompiledData_ chunk of the .w2ent you're modifying.

But regarding your problem shown on screenshots, definitely a problem resulting because of your texture.cache / mesh .xml / .xbms.

Maybe @erxv can tell you more about it, we kinda experimented with this together. I don't really recall exactly anymore what caused this.

Last edited:
No, the one you get when you uncook the game. It is in <Uncook>\gameplay\globals\resources\gameplay.xml

Thanks!
Another dumb question:
I'm trying to create a new armor, but the gameplay.xml file doesn't contain any references to items, only characters/creatures. so how would I go about creating a name for armor/boot/gloves/pants?

Thanks again!

Thanks!
Another dumb question:
I'm trying to create a new armor, but the gameplay.xml file doesn't contain any references to items, only characters/creatures. so how would I go about creating a name for armor/boot/gloves/pants?

Thanks again!

there are enough files provided by CDPR that would just require you to look at them to get an idea of how it's done, no need to ask questions you can answer yourself by just looking at already exisiting stuff.

Thanks!
Another dumb question:

Thanks again!
Do a search for the item xmls that are uncooked.

This deserves a push. 2 months passed and I have seen one mod, which added something to the game.
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to add new Gwent cards to the game with this method? So many characters from the games and books are missing;(

This deserves a push. 2 months passed and I have seen one mod, which added something to the game.
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to add new Gwent cards to the game with this method? So many characters from the games and books are missing;(

I know two that have been released using this method... @marvelmaster's hyrule dlc costume

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/987/

and my dlc that added a few new hairstyles to the barbershop in novigrad, completely with dialoge options etc.

no idea which one you're refering to, maybe it's one I don't know of. I'm not really following this community anymore so no idea.

this method would actually be great I guess for all these weird christmas mods for that cdpr contest thingy.

instead of replacing an existing item with some weird santa clause costume, you could instead add one that you could just buy from a vendor without replacing any existing sets and items, which sucks if you ask me.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

Because there are no people left who'd do that and you're fairly limited in what you can add.

Guest 3841499

I noticed some modders place their bundle files not directly into DLCName\contents\ directory, but in DLCName\contents\bundles directory. Does it make a difference?

Guest 3841499

I find that most DLC mods out there do not follow this structure at all and often non-w2ent files are placed in directories for w2ent templates. I am kind of confused on how to create those custom w2ent files that are based off original ones, but have only one changed entry... Should all other params just be deleted and the file renamed? I need to re-read the OP guide again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom