[Tool] TW2/TW3 Models converter

+
Just keep it up! As I see The Witcher 1 is unfairly neglected. But it was the first step on the road and it deserves a bit more respect. Please give us a few new HD wallpappers with the classic Geralt face :)

New update
- TW1 loader : Many improvements here, the previous version was just able to load a few simple meshes without textures, so now geometry, textures and skeletons (skinning not supported yet however) import work well.
- Redkit exporter : Fix LOD2, fix collision meshes and fix mesh positions

A new update is online :)
  • Fix a major issue in the Redkit exporter (regression of the 2.9 update - thx @Nemomallo for the report)
  • Add more exporters, save last exporter used
  • Fix some black materials with TW3 meshes (regression of the 2.9 update)
  • Fix some crash with TW3 meshes
  • Fix some log messages
I don't check the forum very often, so if you still have some issues, post them again here and I will check that if I have the time

Guest 3841499

Old version working, but new one does not work at all... "Qt platform plugin failed to initialize" is the first among 3 or 4 errors that follow that show up when I launch the .exe...

Guest 3841499

It looks like I sort of fixed it by using old platforms directory for the updated plug-in dll...

Thx for the info, I will check that.
It's not possible to move or rotate a mesh and export it yet, but I plan to add a more flexible scene management, with a hierarchy of meshes, so maybe in the future

Guest 3841499

This tool is exceedingly helpful, although it would be even more so if it could export into FBX format. Is there a way to clear added meshes to add new ones? I want each exported mesh in an individual file and to do that, I use "add meshes" button, convert/export, then forced to close the program and restart it after each mesh addition.

Also, I compared:
ModKit's official W2MESH to FBX export/conversion
with
The Witcher Models Converter's W2MESH to PLY/STL export/conversion

The procedure steps:
- remove extra/unnecessary vertices
- "subdivide smooth" 2x
- subdivide surface using augmentation/modification tool on the right side of the panel (forgot exact name...)
- convert/export into FBX with correct settings for TW3 (changed Auto to Copy + changed that icon, etc)
- imported/converted FBX to W2MESH using W3Oven or WolvenKit

The ModKit's W2MESH to FBX for Blender, then Blender's FBX to W2MESH conversions resulted in the mesh having a single chunk, just like vanilla mesh.
The Witcher 3 Models Convert's W2MESH to PLY/STL for Blender, then Blender's FBX to W2MESH resulted in the mesh having SEVERAL chunks, unlike the vanilla mesh. Having or not having XML doesn't seem to make a difference...

Any idea why that is? I think multi-chunking creates an issue when it comes to specifying materials for each chunk. There are also plenty of options in vanilla meshes that imported ones do not have, such as "useForShadowmesh" and then some meshes specify generalized value of 0, while imported ones have value above 0...

Is there no in-depth mesh modding guide for TW3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the feedback @MonarchX

To clear the current scene, you can use the "Select a 3D model" button, this is the main difference with the "Add mesh(es)" button : "Select a 3D model" will clear the scene and load the mesh, and "Add mesh(es)" will simply load the mesh and merge it with the other mesh of there is already a mesh in the scene.
But yes I should probably also add a button to clear the scene in the menu.
In the future I want to add a better scene management with a hierarchy where you can add/remove/move meshes.

For the FBX exporter, yes it will be added, it's supported in the last version of Assimp, so I just have to update this library for the next update.

What do you mean by "chunk" ?
Have you the issue with all the exporters (.obj exporter for example ?)

Guest 3841499

Chunks are different parts of the mesh, from what I gather and they can be set to use different materials. Sometimes a mesh with a single chunk in its w2mesh format will end up having several chunks when imported via Model Converter into Blender through whichever conversion, then exported as FBX from Blender. That's not been the case with any meshes converted via official wcc_lite.exe into FBX for Blender and exported as FBX from Blender.

Rotation, btw, is also an issue. I think for OBJ file, there needs to be a 270 degree X-axis rotation and for DAE conversion, there should be 270 degree X axis + 180 degree Z axis rotation
Post automatically merged:

It appears the The Model Converter sometimes clumps LOD's as part of a single mesh instead of detecting as separate LOD's. It sees as a single object made of all LOD's clumped together... Either that or I don't understand it correctly - i am very new to 3D editing.

I rarely used the Model feature of the tool because I am into FX meshes, which often don't have textures assigned to them.

Generally, here are some features I would love for this tool to do:
- Export as FBX with XML
- Export with directory and with correct (vanilla) file name
- Convert back to W2MESH + buffer (wcc_lite.exe does it, but fails at reading XML files quite often)

Last edited by a moderator:
when will you be adding rig support for DAE meshes?
would be extremely helpful since I don't know how to import B3D models into blender

Yes, it is possible to import stuff into the REDEngine 2( the REDKit) but to recreate the game in the REDkit probably not.

Guest 3841499

Any chance for KHX export? I noticed that ModKit included special kind of meshes that provided import file name and in each case they were HKX Blender animation files.

Are the rigged exports supposed to not have weight paints?
if so that kinda defeats the purpose of it

am I doing something wrong with the b3d exports or is it a problem with the program? :unsure:

Just to share a screen of my current work if there are some fans of The Witcher 1.
Wizima loaded here, each TW1 map is packed in a single file, so very easy to export them in a few clics if you want to play with them !
Still a few things to fix to have a better render (splatting shader for the terrains, transparancy, specific shaders)

Hi @JLouisB!

How goes this project?
I exported some exterior area as OBJ. The mesh is ok, but I lost materials and UV maps. Maybe it works well with other format, or I miss something. I would like to rebuild these areas in blender, but without UV maps it is a huge work.

Hi all,

Sorry, it's complicated to answer to all the requests and fix all the issues, I have other plans, but I like to come back to this once in a while.

@Nickolox : Planned, but it also depend of the progress of the Assimp (the library that I use for a part of the export) progress in this area, I will test and use a new version of it for the next update.
Skinning weighting is supposed to work, maybe you lost it you during your workflow to import your model, what do you do exactly ?

@legtom Technically possible
You can import TW1 mesh in the tool, and export to RedEngine (.re) format.
.re format s supported by Redkit for TW2, and by the modkit for TW3.
I currently look at some improvement in TW1 import

@MonarchX : I don't know KHX format, but after a quick search, seems to be an open format so it should be possible

Issue of @hiuuz is solved, check that you have correctly set your "base directory" you have some issue with the textures

Top Bottom