Modding The Witcher 3 : a collection of tools you need

+
spacegeek37 the rune sockets for the armor and weapons are in the xml files. Its under gameplay\items folder. Under armors and weapons.xml files around 3/4 down into the xml files and its called enhancement slots not rune slots/sockets.

Willief23: Once again, thank you. However, you still did not tell me which file on the mod link you gave me gives all weapons three rune slots.

willief23 I hope you're still there. I managed to use modkit to uncook the game, edit the def_items_weapons xml, and successfully cooked the mod. When I start my game, I opened my inventory and saw that the starting weapons, the ones I was testing, had three enhancement slots. But when I tried to add runes to them, it makes the enchanting sound but nothing happens. The slot is unfilled, the rune is still in my inventory, and the weapon stats are exactly the same. Is there some other file I need to edit?

spacegeek37;n9769771 said:
The slot is unfilled, the rune is still in my inventory, and the weapon stats are exactly the same. Is there some other file I need to edit?

Such XML edits won't work with items which are already in your inventory, but if you find/craft new such item - changes will work.

DeadMan451;n9774781 said:
Such XML edits won't work with items which are already in your inventory, but if you find/craft new such item - changes will work.

Thank you so much! I know it seems like a simple mod, but its my first, and I spent a very long time trying to get it to work. Even after it was technically working, I don't think I would have realized my mistake unless you helped me out.

Happy new year all. I need help to locate yennefer's gown mesh to edit. But I can't find it after uncooking the game under yennefer model files or dlc. Anyone know where it is? Or what it's called?

Thanks

Hi I am new to modding. I have some questions and I want to somebomy let me go on a right way. So.

What I want to mod:
- I want to change Gerald face textures with my own.

How I am going to do It:
1. Download otherside mod, that replaces Gerald face texture (complited).
(I choose that way becouse in this method I just need to modify a mod and paste it to game dir. I dont neet to exctract game files, search ect.)

2. Find a file in a mod dir that is texture (Complited)
(This file name is a texture.chache, I know that this file keeps only one face of gerald (with beard or not)).

3. Exctract a texture (2d image) from this file using special tool (Complited)
(I ve downloaded Cache Parser from this page of this forum (link included) and used it to extract DDS file from texture.chache.

4. Modify dds file named h_01_mg__geralt_d01.xbm.dds (chache parser named it like this) using Adobe PS CS6 with dds plugin Nvidia installed. (complited)

5. Put the modified file to texture.chache (not complited) how to do it? (chache parser only extracts it).

6 Put my own mod to Witcher game dir and test it. (not complited).

Also I have a question about 4 step.
So what if I want to create a texture from a photo of smth face.
Imagine I have a photos of a smth face in front and from left and from right.
How to create a texture from this photos? Is there any guide or topic?

Also do I need to change a 3d model of the face to make a result more realistic? How to to it? What is my first steps.

Thanks for any assistance. And sorry if I made a reply on a wrong topic.

Edit: My bad, apparently I had been looking in the wrong xml files. The data is in def_loot_quests.xml. Solved.

I'd like to know how I can change the loot a container has when it doesn't seem to come from the loot lists already defined in def_loot_containers.xml, def_loot_livingworld.xml etc.

Specifically I'm trying to change the food loot inside the food containers during the sidequest "A Matter of Life and Death", the banquet at the vengelbud estate that's over 20 containers and 200+ pieces of food inside.
With script studio you can see that these containers call on
\quests\sidequests\novigrad\quest_files\sq301triss\objects\sq301_container_drinks_only.w2ent
\quests\sidequests\novigrad\quest_files\sq301triss\objects\sq301_container_fancy_food.w2ent
\levels\nobigrad\quests\sq301_triss\dawn_estate\objects\loot_food_drinks.w2l

Yet inspecting these files with Sarcen's W3Edit I don't really see anything that could help me edit the list of loot contained inside.

Any help?

Last edited:
I need help for Creating Mods:

Hey dudes, one Questen about the Modding in TW3: Its my first time for Creating Mods, i have no Experience in this theme, but I want to learn it!

I wanna do the following: Create a complete New Beard Style for Gerald - Maybe Like Zoltans http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt/Zoltan-Chivay/ First, is it possible to do that with the Creation Tool? If yes that i need for Programms to do that?

I wanna be happy if you coud give me some Instuctions for that, if its possible?!

Guest 3841499

Why are there no public (public as in these CDPR forums) links to Wolven Kit and especially no link to the latest version? I've been trying to compile it using NET without much success as it confused the hell out of me. The Visual Studio won't even install on my PC because I tweak the hell out of it and it gets stuck on the first install/download screen. I know several people never bothered to compile them and didn't know how to do that anyway, probably wouldn't even try if it wasn't pre-compiled. They simply downloaded pre-compiled version (somewhere...). I got my hands on version 0.2.2 from September and it definitely has some advantages over W3Edit, like being able to view meshes and even being able to view XBM-only proxy textures (in some kind of heavily-dithered form). Aside from that there are other advantages for texture cache, DLC, etc. It's a tool that should definitely be available to all modders. Who knows, some may even find ways to contribute as it suffers from random crashes and specific crashes, like from deletion of too many params, attempts to create CVar Transform, cases when too many files are opened (same in W3Edit), etc. None-the-less, it's the best tool there is...

...and W3Edit link in OP is still broken... I mean, shouldn't this post be re-posted by someone else with working links and updated information? There are moderators here, aren't there?

Last edited by a moderator:
MonarchX;n10412412 said:
I mean, shouldn't this post be re-posted by someone else with working links and updated information? There are moderators here, aren't there?

It's not up to us to keep 3rd party modding program/software links up to date. If you find those yourself, you can post them and ask one of us to make the post a sticky in the thread.

Come on, can't we just force CD-Projekt Red into giving us the proper modding tools? They just need some small team of people who can work on the tools so the modding community can keep this Witcher 3 game alive, it is the best game out there and they know it, why would they give us such amazing tools for the Witcher 2 but not for the Witcher 3, it doesn't make sense, they don't even give a good enough reason, all they say it, "This is it and final', it's just pure laziness. They can't just shove us aside like that, we paid for this game and spend multiple hours playing it, now we wan't to mod it to make it even more rich then it already is, why would any game developer want to stop working on a project they worked so hard on, I'm not even telling them to work on it 24/7, all I'm saying is that we need modding tools so we can create new adventures for ourselves and others out there.

MikeyWulfie;n10777821 said:
Come on, can't we just force CD-Projekt Red into giving us the proper modding tools? They just need some small team of people who can work on the tools so the modding community can keep this Witcher 3 game alive, it is the best game out there and they know it, why would they give us such amazing tools for the Witcher 2 but not for the Witcher 3, it doesn't make sense, they don't even give a good enough reason, all they say it, "This is it and final', it's just pure laziness. They can't just shove us aside like that, we paid for this game and spend multiple hours playing it, now we wan't to mod it to make it even more rich then it already is, why would any game developer want to stop working on a project they worked so hard on, I'm not even telling them to work on it 24/7, all I'm saying is that we need modding tools so we can create new adventures for ourselves and others out there.

In short, no, there is effectively 0% possibility of it happening the way you describe. I do get the impression that plans for the REDkit were more expansive at one point, but the only thing that's certain at this point is: it's done. The tools shall remain as they are. I understand how disappointing and frustrating the situation may be.

Better focus for this type of request is to begin making arguments for CP 2077. Since there is such a big drive for modding in modern gaming, I think a much more robust toolset would be a worthwhile venture for future titles.

Top Bottom