[Lighting Mods] STLM 3.0

+

Guest 3841499

tennisaddict1999;n9686031 said:
Some more screenshots, I think we've definitely come close to the e3 dream.

For exteriors - yes, but cave interiors are too bright and if you consider that fake character lighting was not disabled for cut scenes, cave interior cut-scenes (and generally many other cut scenes) are WAY too bright.

So far the one and only lighting mod I can enjoy is Extended View Distance mod. I wish STLM would take a look at how interiors are done in that mod and make some adjustments. I think Wiedzmin interiors are also excellent if fake character lighting is fully disabled, but I don't like Wiedzmin exteriors - too bright, over-saturated, borderline-cartoony. I do view all of these mods on several accurately calibrated displays before making a decision on how I think it looks. I even have several gamma presets to make sure that's not the problem.

Does anyone have links to previous STLM versions? I think he's gone a bit off the rails with the latest update and that's the only one up at Nexus.

Garrison72;n9686591 said:
Does anyone have links to previous STLM versions? I think he's gone a bit off the rails with the latest update and that's the only one up at Nexus.

PMed you a couple of previous versions (2.2.1 and 3.1.2). Also can you elaborate on the ways essenthy has in you opinion deviated from the previous versions?

I personally think it could have been the best version yet if it weren't for the nights. Here's (https://imgur.com/a/RT9im) the comparison of how the nights look in 3.1.2 and in 3.2. They are too washed out in my opinion in the latest version and in 3.1.2 they were much closer to the 37 min gameplay demo.

Some objects during night time looked washed out, devoid of detail. Also, not a fan of his big moon. Not sure when he implemented that. He does amazing work, but I recall the previous versions being better across the board; ie: in all weather/ lighting conditions.

Garrison72;n9686871 said:
Some objects during night time looked washed out, devoid of detail. Also, not a fan of his big moon. Not sure when he implemented that. He does amazing work, but I recall the previous versions being better across the board; ie: in all weather/ lighting conditions.

I agree wholeheartedly. In regards to the latest STLM iteration it seems like when he started to work on a it he scrapped all previous advancements and started over on all the things which is not a good way to work on something if I may say so especially when the previous changes he's made were mostly the right ones.

VedmakOfOld;n9686891 said:
I agree wholeheartedly. In regards to the latest STLM iteration it seems like when he started to work on a it he scrapped all previous advancements and started over on all the things which is not a good way to work on something if I may say so especially when the previous changes he's made were mostly the right ones.

What's your favorite version?

Garrison72;n9686941 said:
What's your favorite version?

Hard to say. I've played the expansions on 2.2.1 which had issues with cave lighting. 3.1.2 looks great at night and during the clear weather pretty much everywhere apart from Skellige which is too brown and does not have this cold palette shown in trailers. This cold palette is restored in 3.2 but it introduces new issues and inconsistencies such as washed out objects during nightime (I'm not sure if the Moon size has anything to do with it).

But you can really see the pattern emerging - it's all side-effects of one man doing the job. And I'm not saying he needs help. He could do fine by himself just by documenting the changes he's made and putting aside portions of the game that don't need any further tinkering. Judging by the above screenshots of tennisaddict1999 3.2 looks great during the day in all major zones (Velen, Novigrad and Skellige).

P.S. Take all of the above with a HUUUGE grain of salt as I repeat I've thoroughly tested version 2.2.1 and have not replayed the game with either 3.1.1, or 3.1.2 (which is basically 3.1.1 with bug fixes) or 3.2.

Is there any way to make the nights darker in this version? I mean, the lighting overall is gorgeus, but the nights look really bright in my opinion. So, is there any other mod that can be used in addition to STLM that can achieve this without creating a lot of conflicts?

VedmakOfOld;n9686971 said:
3.1.2 looks great at night and during the clear weather pretty much everywhere apart from Skellige which is too brown and does not have this cold palette shown in trailers.

I can agree with you on the cold palette, but not that it was shown in trailers, at least not the ones that essenthy was going for. This was his reference:

https://tpucdn.com/npu/img/2015/05-21/21146-b7f0adfb.jpg

And this the outcome:

http://i.imgur.com/Uf67Vjw.jpg

So he did achive his goal, imo. But, I still think that STLM 2.1 had the best skellige so far, it just looked cold and rough:

https://imgur.com/a/FFl12

Guest 3841499

GregorWladacz;n9686541 said:
cartoony?

Yes, I see overly bright and inaccurately-colored image - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oEy2JtoLU , but this is JUST an opinion and the author could be seeing something entirely different just because of display settings. I am not so much for all these lighting mods *looking good* in general sense. Instead, I am all about them looking *as accurate as possible*, which first of all, requires a very accurately calibrated display not only to view lighting mods, but also to make them and "factory-calibrated" or "calibrated through downloaded ICC profile" or "display review stated it had good accuracy" doesn't mean squat... A simple difference between my display's gamma and mod author's display gamma is enough to experience same exact lighting mod as 2 entirely different entities with vast differences, even though they are exactly the same mod.

Accuracy preference (yes, its a preference!) is natural to me. For example, most people would probably not like if fake character lighting would be disabled for cut-scenes because some cut-scenes, like the ones in caves, would appear very VERY dark. The cut-scenes in Kaer Morhen caves would be especially dark and you would barely be able to distinguish characters. To me - that's a good thing, its an accurate thing because makes far more sense than having a dark deep cave with 0 light sources to appear bright and colorful... That's a deal breaker when it comes to STLM and also a deal breaker when it comes to vanilla lighting. WLM is much better at this, but it also crushes all the dark details in interiors that do have light sources, like houses in Bloody Baron's output in the middle of the day. I tried different lighting mods and I settled for Extended View Distance mod without even knowing that many contribution to that mod came from someone who was also into accuracy and provided many accuracy-enhancing tweaks. The actual lighting stayed vanilla (but tweaked, fixed-vanilla), which made sense because CDPR W3 designers did take accuracy of lighting and colors into consideration, but they also had to consider that people with all kinds of displays are going to play their game and catering to them was also very important, even at the cost of losing image and light-interaction accuracy.

The thing about E3 look, the one that STLM attempts to resemble, is that it is not unknown what exactly was changed and whether lighting or other graphics assets that made that lighting possible even exist in the final game. That means attempts to make the final game resemble E3 in some areas can very much make other areas look very inaccurate or just strange, but it may be the best that could be done given the available assets. For all we know, CDPR could've been using different-colored grass textures, architecture textures, etc. Those assets might've worked perfectly for the lighting they displayed in E3 trailers, but the final game assets may be lacking for E3 color reproduction. That's the thing about making a game and modding a game - when you make a game, you design so that everything fits together well, but when you mod it, you're limited to available assets and you only mod what you can. You can't expect any modder or even a group of them to just re-create E3 lighting, even if its lighting alone, because it may need re-coloring and changing of many other non-lighting assets.

Then there's the whole "game mood" aspect that does not fit neither vanilla nor any of the lighting mods available. Grim Lighting mod attempts to mimic the theme and the mood of the game, but in my opinion, it needs a lot more work.

Last edited by a moderator:
MonarchX You know, that there is no right/objective way to calibrate your monitor like there is no objective way of perception. So you may like your settings and perception, but that doesn't mean, that it is more accurate or objective than another one.

Guest 3841499

GregorWladacz;n9695151 said:
MonarchX You know, that there is no right/objective way to calibrate your monitor like there is no objective way of perception. So you may like your settings and perception, but that doesn't mean, that it is more accurate or objective than another one.

No, there IS an objective way to calibrate your display. Calibration is based on a standard, not a preference. You don't adjust settings based on how you like it - you use hardware devices (colorimeters, spectrophotometers, etc.) and software to measure your display's color output and then make appropriate adjustments to reduce error to a minimum, again, using hardware and software, not your eyes.

Imagine if CDPR or any other professional studio graphics designers each had a display that would show different colors for the same image based on how they "preferred it". Do you think they would get anywhere that way? The same principle applies to any graphics/visual work on PC

Top Bottom