[MOD Compilation] Alternative Chimney Smoke

+
[MOD Compilation] Alternative Chimney Smoke

Hey everyone, this is a mod I’ve been working on for quite a while, then put it to rest for some time only to come back at it now.
Basically, what I tried is to replace chimney smoke in the game with something a little more “punchy” to get a more pronounced effect on the particles:

I originally wanted to create something reminiscent of the smoke effects in earlier trailers, but I realized by now, that I cannot improve it much further than what I have now.
Also, I created various versions along the process, and because tastes are different and even I can’t really decide which version I prefer the most, you’ll find 5 different mod versions attached below.
  • Version 1: Defined, rather sharp smoke
  • Version 2: Smooth smoke
  • Version 3: Combination -> Some chimneys use version 1 others version 2
  • Version 4: Smoothest puffy smoke
  • Version 5: Dark and “oily” smoke

Link to mod on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2751/?

For a comparison of all versions, have a look here:
https://imgur.com/a/Fo6nT

Some more details of what I changed:
  • Chimney smoke of most housings (but not all) has been changed
  • Maximum particle count has been raised
  • Four of the five versions use modified original textures or even some I made from scratch
  • I deleted the lower quality LOD levels and raised the maximum distance for the remaining highest quality LOD level of the smoke
  • Probably some more tweaks, I’ve already forgotten about :)

Installations instructions:
  • Only choose one version at a time
  • Drop the folders (version 1 to 4 contain two folders, version 5 is only one folder) into your “The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\Mods” folder
  • Only particle and texture files for smoke have been changed, no scripts, thus there should be no conflicts with any other mod AFAIK

Many thanks to:
  • The real Witcher 3 Modding Discord
  • Sarcen for providing us with ModEditor
  • CDPR for creating this marvelous game

Finally, I hope that some of you may like this mod and I'm happily awaiting your feedback.
Happy witchering, everyone!

Last edited:
This looks cool! I never gave too much attention in game to chimney smoke but after looking at your screenshots and then the vanilla one I was like "omg was it always this bad?" XD.
They all look much better than vanilla but I really think v4 looks the best, at least in a fantasy world. But tastes do differ so thank you for including multiple versions.
Thanks for the mod!

Honestly, I like all versions quite a bit.
Combination of all of them is probably the best and most immersive!
Think you did really astounding work here!

Will this be a part of the Compilation mod?

LukeSparow;n8263880 said:
Honestly, I like all versions quite a bit.
Combination of all of them is probably the best and most immersive!
Think you did really astounding work here!

Will this be a part of the Compilation mod?

Same mod author?

Oh gawd, this is gonna be a hard decision. Great work dude, just recently thought about the chimney smoke in this game and how it could be improved.

I'm sure you worked hard on this, but the smoke just looks completely unnatural and it does not dissipate into the sky at all. Like a nuclear plant. Chimney smoke simply is not that dense. Ever.

Top Bottom