[MOD Compilation] Alternative Chimney Smoke

+
Mishikedman;n8459660 said:
Just want to say, you done really good job, why not post your mod on nexus ? It is fantastic :)

Thank you :) I actually had the impression my mod was not quite polished enough to publish it on Nexus, but I consider doing that soon!

GregorWladacz;n8462470 said:
GMSBS_Ghost I meant, version 4 for smoke, like burning houses etc, therefore a little bit darker. But for the chimneys, its too thick, so you need to tweak transparency.

Since you have more experience with it, could you say, where which textures are used ingame? Because I want to give it a try and modify it. I already found a texture for burning houses in Novigrad area for hearts of stone (smoke_tileable.tga), but I need to know for exemple, which textures appear in the frozen village, or the burning stables. And how to increase the particles. Maybe you can help me with that ;)?

Ah ok now I understand. I could try to tweak it some more and some point. However, I have no access to my main computer at the moment and only sporadic internet access, so I can't make any promises. I strongly encourage you to go on and tweak things yourself, I really can be lots of fun an isn't really that hard.
Some textures I remember from the top of my head: smoke_front_animated.tga, white_smoke_front_animated.tga, smoke_03.tga (I think that one is used by some fire sources and looks pretty cool).Most of these textures should be located at fx/textures/smoke or similar (sorry, again I have no access to my main PC right now ;) )
I really hope you can create something cool! :)

GMSBS_Ghost Yeah, thank you. I am already trying :D I achieved to use the smoke of haerts of stone for burning stables of the baron, but I have problems with increasing the particles: I increased the particle count for example, but nothing really happened. So I increased the float const, and I didn't really saw an improvement. With lower values though, there were lower particles (at least in some instances). Doesn't really make sense to me. I decreased the emitter duration too, and I think it helped a little bit. Can you tell me, what I can try further too increase particles? What about seeds?
Texturewise: I don't know, how to make the smoke darker ( I think the alpha value could be it) and reworkig the textures is pretty.... strange. If I change the contrast, the textures will go all flat and pixelated. Any ideas?

Edit: Managed to increase particles and density ^^

Last edited:
essenthy;n9298301 said:
excellent work man !

Thank you! Just found this on your twitter today:

So amazing! I don't even know what to say!
Wonder how it would look with the chimney smoke, probably exactly like this:

Djeetje;n9298211 said:
How do I use this mod with COMPILATION by ramccoid?
When I give the smoke file the priority over compilation the smoke will look like it's from a cartoon.
https://gyazo.com/4f60b62f8f8d44cf80b75fc2c069643d

Sorry mate, but my mod modifies textures just as COMPILATION does, and if the same texture is modified I don't know if there's much to be done. I haven't tried using COMPILATION myself as of now. But if I do and find something out, I'll let you know.

Hey Djeetje , I just wanted to report back to you that I tested all five versions of my smoke mod with ramccoid's COMPILATION (latest full version).
For me every combination worked well and I never got the textures you have in your screenshot.
I had only these two mods installed and did do no merging or priorizing of any kind.
Do you use ANY other mods that might edit textures etc.? Please if you do, try to test with only those two mods installed and do not merge anything.
Actually, the "glitch" in you screenshot reminds me a lot of an issue occuring when cooking textures with wrong texturegroup. This was a bug in an older version of modkit, where it would not keep alpha transperency of textures leading to this cartoony look with very hard edges.

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

Why is this mod not on Nexus yet? Its freaking excellent! Any there awesome functional mods not uploaded to Nexus? Need links!

Guest 3841499

This mod replaced just 2 of the 4 effect files that exist for smoke. That makes smoke from further away look different. I wonder if replacing those 2 remaining files with one of the files from this mod would make the effect similar both close and far away? I would rename the effect file from this mod to mirror the effect from the remaining vanilla files.

MonarchX;n9745161 said:
This mod replaced just 2 of the 4 effect files that exist for smoke. That makes smoke from further away look different. I wonder if replacing those 2 remaining files with one of the files from this mod would make the effect similar both close and far away? I would rename the effect file from this mod to mirror the effect from the remaining vanilla files.

First, I finally published my mod on the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2751/?
I originally wanted to improve upon it, but really haven't had any time for modding this last couple of months.

About your comment on smoke further away looking different: actually I removed the lower quality LODs entirely and only left LOD0 (highest quality) and at the same time increased the drawing distance of that. So, there should be no change from a distance, except if maximum distance is reached and the smoke doesn't render at all any more.

You are correct though, that there are more smoke particle files that I did not modify and which theoretically might be used by (a small number of) chimneys for displaying smoke from an even greater distance.
I obviously didn't check all the chimneys in the game, so those might have slipped past me. Could you maybe provide some screenshots? If I can improve that, I might do so some time in the future ;).

Guest 3841499

GMSBS_Ghost;n9787051 said:
First, I finally published my mod on the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2751/?
I originally wanted to improve upon it, but really haven't had any time for modding this last couple of months.

About your comment on smoke further away looking different: actually I removed the lower quality LODs entirely and only left LOD0 (highest quality) and at the same time increased the drawing distance of that. So, there should be no change from a distance, except if maximum distance is reached and the smoke doesn't render at all any more.

You are correct though, that there are more smoke particle files that I did not modify and which theoretically might be used by (a small number of) chimneys for displaying smoke from an even greater distance.
I obviously didn't check all the chimneys in the game, so those might have slipped past me. Could you maybe provide some screenshots? If I can improve that, I might do so some time in the future ;).

I've already replaced vanilla chimney_smoke_long_thin_ditance.w2p with your chimney_smoke_long_thin.w2p (renamed to chimney_smoke_long_thin_ditance.w2p of course) and it didn't hurt anything, but I can't say it made any difference either. Vanilla chimney_smoke_long_thin.w2p and chimney_smoke_long_thin_ditance.w2p seem to be identical, but I have not examined them close.

Black smoke volumetric smoke - that would be amazing, but I know you've already tried and it didn't exactly work... However, Better FX black smoke in cut-scenes looks really good, almost like in E3 - volumetric!

I added "windInfluence" effect/attribute and I think it worked, but maybe smoke is affected by wind by default - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B54HJ36TbhjwcGtEZVJYOFozZ00/view?usp=sharing

I really wish Aard had effect on that smoke...

Huge thanks for your mod - it made an obvious difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom