[TOOL] Cache reader

+

Guest 3841499

This tool does not unpack full-quality textures, does it? They are always smaller in size than original ones and recooking them results in quality loss...

Guest 3841499

How else do you pack?! All the tools out there use it - W3Oven, W3Edit, Mod Merger, etc. It's not about packing/cooking btw. It's about UNpacking (UNcooking) what was already packed into texture.cache, someone other than myself. Cache Reader exports lower quality DDS files compared to the ones that were used to create that texture.cache file...

Guest 3841499

It appears some files this neat program will corrupt as it extracts them and it tends to crash with some texture.cache mods...

Guest 3841499

Wow, that's impressive for one or few hours of work and an update would be great! HD Reworked Project is the toughest one to extract uncookable textures from, especially since tree DDS-only textures, which cannot be imported as TGA's/cooked as XBM's, extracted from texture.cache with Cache Reader are of lower quality and file size than the ones used for cooking. The only trick that I know of to extract full quality tree DDS-only files from incorrectly cooked mod is to create a properly cooked (uncookable) DDS-only mod with bundle file using vanilla files, then replace custom mod's bundle and metadata files with vanilla mod's bundle and metadata files. That uncooks full quality DDS files 90% of the time, but that does not work for all mods. Some textures end up corrupt or un-openable, look corrupt in the game if recooked, yet work perfectly fine if left in original mod's texture.cache. Sometimes I see unreadable symbols in texture.cache and Cache Reader usually crashes upon extraction of any files from such texture.cache files.

Non-tree DDS files (normally in TGA/XBM format) from texture.cache seem to be of full quality, but of course they have to be converted to TGA and imported/cooked.

Guest 3841499

Traderain, I remember a few weeks ago you said you might have something (new I guess?) for texture extraction (or something W3-modding-related) in a few weeks? Could we have a status update on that?

Guest 3841499

Is this ever going to be updated or has this been pretty much joined with Wolven Kit?

Top Bottom