How do you pack w2mesh files into a mod?

+
How do you pack w2mesh files into a mod?

I'm trying to edit the Ultimate Concept Ursine armor by Lexars and CAPA14 (I want to make the shoulders and gauntlets of the armor metalic like they are in the concept art). I've figured out the texture part and can make it show up in my game, but modkitchen doesn't pack the w2mesh files from the original mod into my new mod.

Here's what I'm doing:
* uncook all the files with ModOven. This reveals a bunch of .tga, .w2mesh and .xbm files
* edit the two .tga files I need
* put the .tga files back with all the other files.
* cook everything into a new mod.

If I uncook my mod, I can see that the meshes haven't been packed, and the meshes ingame remain unchanged (the scarf shouldn't be on the armors for instance).

Am I doing something wrong? What tool do I need to use to pack w2mesh files?

Any help is appreciated :D

Lim3zer0;n9188061 said:
Are you importing your .tga files into .xbm format?

Yes, at least I'm pretty sure. There are .xbm files when I uncook my mod again at least.

Cercaphus;n9188571 said:
Why aren't you using w3oven to pack back your mod?

I am using W3Oven to pack my mod. The w2meshes aren't showing up in the file preview for cooking for some reason. Is there something I'm missing?

Corvah;n9188721 said:
I am using W3Oven to pack my mod. The w2meshes aren't showing up in the file preview for cooking for some reason. Is there something I'm missing?

Ah, I think I know now what's wrong! I will assume that you have proper file structures and names.

When cooking the mod, in the modded folder you've created you have the tga files right alongside the w2mesh files?

Cercaphus;n9189051 said:
Ah, I think I know now what's wrong! I will assume that you have proper file structures and names.

When cooking the mod, in the modded folder you've created you have the tga files right alongside the w2mesh files?

Yes, I do.

(on an unrelated note, I saw your post about modding tools with a link to a discord server, but that link is dead. Does the server still exist? I'm having trouble with another problem that I could use some advice with, although this problem is more complex)

But you see Corvah that's the problem. xD Place your mouse cursor over the "skip import" checkbox in the preferences panel to the right of w3oven's UI. What you will gather from there is (not to check it because you are also trying to import exported tga files) but that you have to create an uncooked folder keeping the same structure as in modded where you will place the w2mesh files (when you export w2mesh files they are in fbx form). Because they are already in imported w2mesh form w3oven isn't importing them from the modded folder and you have to place them in the uncooked folder as that checkbox implied. :p Hope it works for you this time! ;)

And about that discord, I don't know anything about it as I haven't used it. Better send a pm to skacikpl or Holgar82 or KNGR who are of the old modding guard here and will definitely know more about it than someone like me who's been here for just 2 months! :p

Last edited:
Cercaphus;n9189231 said:
But you see Corvah that's the problem. xD Place your mouse cursor over the "skip import" checkbox in the preferences panel to the right of w3oven's UI. What you will gather from there is (not to check it because you are also trying to import exported tga files) but that you have to create an uncooked folder keeping the same structure as in modded where you will place the w2mesh files (when you export w2mesh files they are in fbx form). Because they are already in imported w2mesh form w3oven isn't importing them from the modded folder and you have to place them in the uncooked folder as that checkbox implied. :p Hope it works for you this time! ;)

And about that discord, I don't know anything about it as I haven't used it. Better send a pm to skacikpl or Holgar82 or KNGR who are of the old modding guard here and will definitely know more about it than someone like me who's been here for just 2 months! :p

It seems to be working now! Thanks for your help :D

Unfortunately the meshes from the mod seem to be corrupted, so I can't really do anything, but I learned something nonetheless.

Corvah;n9190491 said:
It seems to be working now! Thanks for your help :D

Unfortunately the meshes from the mod seem to be corrupted, so I can't really do anything, but I learned something nonetheless.

If meshes you extract are corrupted they will have been when exported and not when imported (usually that's the case). If you want try to extract the meshes from the mods you want to edit/combine with quick modding tool from the nexus forums and then do the same cooking procedure as I told you with w3oven.

Top Bottom