"Global Illumination" enabler/enforcer mod?

+

Guest 3841499

"Global Illumination" enabler/enforcer mod?

I noticed that no matter what lighting mod is used - be it STLM, or Extended View Distance or No Cut-Sscene Lighting or Cut-Scene Lighting, the actual strength of lighting from light sources in certain cut-scenes will always change. The room will go from semi-dark to very-bright. Upon ending that conversation, there will be a transition during which lights will slowly fade. ] believe some referred to this effect as "Global Illumination".

Is there a mod that forces such illumination to be enabled at all times OR does the opposite by disabling the effect entirely? Personally, I find this effect and transition very annoying. I was hoping by now there would be a mod that would entirely eliminate the difference between in-game non-cut-scene lighting and in-game cut-scene lighting. I think No-Cut-Scene-Lighting mod attempts to do that, but fails in my cases and of course has that highly-limited "short-view-distance-blue-fog optimization".

Then I was also curious how it is we can Increased Draw Distance mod that does increase draw distance considerably, but many meshes/objects/geometry still manages to pop sometimes just feet away from Geralt! I believe someone referred to those items as "Proxies" and the only solution so far is creation of an additional texture for that asset, something that is supposedly being worked on by someone, but proved to be hard-to-accomplish, Is there no way to override "proxy asset draw distance", just like normal draw distance? Its so incredibly annoying, given that mods such as Increased Draw Distance maxed out completely barely reduce FPS on today's mainstream PC's with cards, such as GTX 1080, let alone GTX 1080 Ti...

Finally, I am curious about where there is now a list of "tweaks" or render settings that are known to actually make a difference and are not hard-locked or do not break the game (like MaxCubeShadowSize breaking shadows past value of 512)? Is there a way to find .exe-related settings and values that do not exist in any Rendering.ini/xml files, such as CharacterShadowsFallbackDistance=40 tweak, discovered by Asmodian, I believe?

Conversations and cutscenes spawn pre-determined fake light sources mid-air, placed there by the developers/artists to light up the scenes the way they wanted.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Global Illumination, GI is an advanced rendering technique which simulates light bounce and energy transfer between surfaces.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2414/?

Download the optional version which removes the fake lights in nearly all cutscenes.

MonarchX

Do you see similar behavior under vanilla graphics? It could simply be your monitor / brightness / contrast / gamma settings.

Guest 3841499

Quantifiable;n9644701 said:
Conversations and cutscenes spawn pre-determined fake light sources mid-air, placed there by the developers/artists to light up the scenes the way they wanted.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Global Illumination, GI is an advanced rendering technique which simulates light bounce and energy transfer between surfaces.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2414/?

Download the optional version which removes the fake lights in nearly all cutscenes.

Thanks. That is what I pretty much understood a while back, but for the sake of familiarity I referred to it as GI because that it what several screenshot-posting people called it... years ago...Thank you for the link, but that is NOT what I was talking about. Aside from "fake projector lighting", the intensity of light sources themselves can often increases some 2-10x during some cut scenes and as the cut-scene ends, light source intensity gradually diminishes back to normal. You would think "Cut-Scene Lighting Mod" would make it so that light intensity is equal in and out of cut scenes, butt hat is not so..

I already tried everything from "No Cut Scene Lighting" to KNG's stuff to "Remove Fake Character Lighting" and I stuck with Extended View Distance (also removes fake projector lighting) + Asmodian HBAO tweaks.

And Yes, I see similar (identical actually) behavior with just about any lighting mod (or vanilla), except for STLM, which I do not use,do not like, and have whether/if or how it affect light source intensity.;

There is another person in this forum section working on light-source intensity! Maybe he/she can shed some light on this topic or dig up value differences between whichever light source intensity in cut scenes and out of cut scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
MonarchX;n9645841 said:
Thanks. That is what I pretty much understood a while back, but for the sake of familiarity I referred to it as GI because that it what several screenshot-posting people called it... years ago...Thank you for the link, but that is NOT what I was talking about. Aside from "fake projector lighting", the intensity of light sources themselves can often increases some 2-10x during some cut scenes and as the cut-scene ends, light source intensity gradually diminishes back to normal. You would think "Cut-Scene Lighting Mod" would make it so that light intensity is equal in and out of cut scenes, butt hat is not so..

I already tried everything from "No Cut Scene Lighting" to KNG's stuff to "Remove Fake Character Lighting" and I stuck with Extended View Distance (also removes fake projector lighting) + Asmodian HBAO tweaks.

And Yes, I see similar (identical actually) behavior with just about any lighting mod (or vanilla), except for STLM, which I do not use,do not like, and have whether/if or how it affect light source intensity.;

There is another person in this forum section working on light-source intensity! Maybe he/she can shed some light on this topic or dig up value differences between whichever light source intensity in cut scenes and out of cut scenes.

Need screeenshots or even better a video showing this, with that mod applied, maybe also try using the new STLM which removes cutscene tonemapper.

Never encountered anything of the sort. Sometimes fake developer lights might make it seem like a light source radius is being increased?
Definitely need some kind of video yeah. ​​​

Guest 3841499

I have already provided a saved game on Nexus forums a while back, but removed it since then. No worries, I know exactly where to go to witness that effect.

MonarchX;n9647311 said:
I have already provided a saved game on Nexus forums a while back, but removed it since then. No worries, I know exactly where to go to witness that effect.

Hey, I did not mean to offend. Would be glad to see proof as I am genuinely curious to see this phenomenon in action.

(Slams a marshmallow stick on the table with the force of many toddlers.) I hope everyone is enjoying their time! We can hopefully remain pleasant while doing so. (Raises the stick. Marshmallow drips menacingly.)

On the topic, there are three possible causes:

1.) As stated above, not all monitors are created equally. There are certain models that have very narrow color ranges and temps. This means that colors cannot transition as smoothly as on better quality monitors. Especially HDR lighting techniques tend to over-saturate quickly. This creates single-tone "glares" instead of "cleanly reflected light" in the final image.

2.) It's very common with modding: settings, config files, .DLLs, etc. can be added or changed over time. This means that even if the mod is removed, certain pieces of it may still remain. If players have tried multiple different lighting mods (SweetFX, ENB, Reshade, etc.), they need to ensure that each mod is installed / uninstalled exactly according to the directions of each mod. (They're not all the same.) This is the most common cause for such wild disparity between one player and the next, but only applies if multiple mods have been used.

3.) It's a personal reaction, and has nothing to do with the mod itself. I've tried many popular lighting mods for many different games over time, and very often, I find the most popular ones to be either over-saturated or washed out. I'm very color-sensitive, and that means that what looks "so atmospheric!" to most people looks like "it's colored with highlighters" to me. What seems "incredibly detailed" to most looks like "the gamma is set to +2.6" to me. Nothing can be done in this case except finding a mod that handles things more subtly.

Top Bottom