Boat anybody?

+
Just to add my 2c because I've done quite some research (lol) on the W3 boat for my unreleased boat mod:

In the game files there DOES NOT exist the triangular sail that you have seen in the promo, e3, vgx, whatever trailers and demos. The only "physics simulated" sail for Geralt's boat that exists in the game files is the square one.

Additionally, creating "physics simulated" sails, cloths, hairs, whatever - despite recent announcement/developments - is a really ARDUOUS process with little practical success in terms of importing whatever you manage to create into the game.

With that said, the triangular mast you've seen in the promo, e3, vgx, whatever trailers and demos DOES exist in the game files right next to the vanilla square mast and it is up to a modder with the time and ability to make it for you and have it replace the vanilla square mast. But for the time being, it won't have a "physics simulated" sail.

I have an Idea.... maybe I can change the position of the Sail ...and make half of it transparent...so it might look like a triangle sail^^

Cant you just change the position and leave it a square? Just rotate the sail 90° and change the mesh of the sailing rod. Could this work? In the end maybe you don't have to change any cloth-settings. Looking at the pictures, it was a square and is still a square....

Last edited:
Just because I have a unfinished sailing mod lying around as well, I could never get past the limitation that the sail rotation animation takes a variable from -1 to +1 , but actually only rotates the sail a little bit (roughly 30 degree depending on where you count the angles from)

so, is it possible to extend this rotation animation somehow (no idea where to start even) to say 90 degrees? This would allow the vanilla sail and lower mast to become alined with the boat and the rest is just a matter of the actual cloth. (Which seems hard enough tbh)

Last edited:
turns out that the opacity of the sail is defined by a texarray texture mask red channel...
unfortunaltey I was not able to reimport this texture into game again...thats why all hope dies here :(

Would it be doable to make it possible to navigate with the boat under all the bridges in Velen/Novigrad area, so that we can make full use of the dozens of the rivers in the game?

I must say that you have done excellent work with what you have been given. Not to mention taking the time to check out if other things can be done. REDpoint for you.

thing is that thats only the mesh for the boat. not the mast nor the sail. and there are no leftovers for those (except texture of sail). and just swapping the meshes for the boat wouldnt be worth it cause it varies in size and would have to create new collision data etc

Edit: was informed mast is there too, still no sail and thats not possible to make

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

I request (demand actually!) HalkHogan Appreciation mod or mods. A good photo on Halk Hogan for boat sail texture with "We love you! Release HDRP 5.0 NOW!" must be released ASAP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom