Location of certain files

+
Location of certain files

So, I am wanting to finally fix some discrepancies with some notes & letters in the game in order to create a mod. But I would like to know if anyone knows where I can find the location of in game notes, letters & books, and what folder to look in?

They are in w3strings files, in content/content0 folder, decode them using w3strings encoder/decoder

But i don't think you can put them back using just strings encoding because of ids. Instead i think you need copy the strings you want to change from game w3strings into a new w3strings and give them new ids and keys and then find those items in the uncooked game files and change their description keys to the ones you created, and then pack all that into a mod

Last edited:
stefan3372;n9700971 said:
They are in w3strings files, in content/content0 folder, decode them using w3strings encoder/decoder

But i don't think you can put them back using just strings encoding because of ids. Instead i think you need copy the strings you want to change from game w3strings into a new w3strings and give them new ids and keys and then find those items in the uncooked game files and change their description keys to the ones you created, and then pack all that into a mod

Yeah, not as easy as I thought it would be. Then again, Bethesda is not in it for gamers like CDPR is, that's why it's easier to mod their games. But CDPR didn't make it easy to mod this 3rd game. I guess I will eventually get it done. Thank you for the information.

Do you want to change the text (the strings)? That’s not that hard (like Stefan said). Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you can just
(1) decode and search the game strings for the text, look up the hex-id and then
(2) create (and encode) a new w3strings file with new running ids, but the same hex-ids for the changes strings you just looked up - that should replace the old string in game. (This might be just what Stefan said.)

W3strings encoder has a good cdpr thread and you can encode a couple of other mod’s strings to see how they do it with the ids...

Top Bottom