Strange Cut-Scene Lighting, not controlled by ENV files?

+

Guest 3841499

Strange Cut-Scene Lighting, not controlled by ENV files?

A while back I made a similar post and someone called it BS when I said that no lighting mod out there can truly disable lighting variation that occurs during cut scenes/dialogues. I tried just about every lighting mod out there and tried editing each ENV with W3Edit to get rid of camera lighting and dialogue lighting completely. None of it worked, at least not for all cut scenes. My SaveGame should be proof. Simply enter the door in front of you (use Witcher Sense to find the blood stain by the door), notice the bright light during the dialogue, choose dialogue options to start a fight (don't give the key), and notice how over the next 3-5 seconds the bright room lighting transitions to much dimmer lighting!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11fdyCCG4u31UsIOwGEX1BD9ZlQeq0N_Z/view?usp=sharing

What controls lighting during that dialogue/cut-scene? Maybe its not lighting in general that changes, but the light source radius/intensity? Once fighting starts, turn around ASAP and notice the brightness coming from the candle by the door and how its intensity transitions over those 3-5 seconds from bright to dim.

most cutscenes spawn their own lights... if you want to remove them you will have to edit the w2scene files.

Exemple:W3Edit Open this file

\quests\prologue\quest_files\q002_emhyr\scenes\q002_10_nilfgaardian_patrol.w2scene

Guest 3841499

I knew it! Thank you! This further shows just how much of a mess W3 lighting is... Why couldn't they just use a lighting system like the one Skyrim or GTA V uses? Then we would likely even get ENB for W3... Didn't developers find it very tedious to be working with a lighting system like that?

They created specific cut-scene lighting and on top of that they created specific cut-scene lights...

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3841499

jack91;n9845091 said:

Is that the result of cutting off scene-specific lights? That doesn't look like in-game lighting, which means it turns off normal in-game lights too? Isn't there a way to make in-game lighting = cut-scene lighting? I already use No CutScene Lighting mod, which does it mostly, but now I just need to go quest by quest and disable CUSTOM cut-scene-specific lights, ones that differ from gameplay lights. Gameplay lights should stay.

Guest 2364765

MonarchX;n9845541 said:
I knew it! Thank you! This further shows just how much of a mess W3 lighting is... Why couldn't they just use a lighting system like the one Skyrim or GTA V uses? Then we would likely even get ENB for W3... Didn't developers find it very tedious to be working with a lighting system like that?

They created specific cut-scene lighting and on top of that they created specific cut-scene lights...

Uh, it's not a mess. Cutscenes and dialogues are exactly what the name would imply, it's an artistic choice to add light to them to achieve certain effect.
that's like expecting a movie to be recorded using only daylight that was present on given day.

Also, boris didn't make ENB for W3 because it's a DX11 game and he doesn't like either Witcher games nor DX11.
Also the lighting system is not tedious, especially with official tools - if anything it's good because it allowed them to achieve the artistic results they wanted for each scene which actually makes it better than crude lighting in games like Skyrim where you don't really get much control over lighting besides ones you have in given place.

skacikpl I agree, lighting system is fantastic, also it is not that demanding for hardware and it works. But i can get why some people like realistic take on the game. Point on moding and tools is also spot on, because it is easy to work with. Only problem here is that moding lighting in Witcher eats soo much time, and it is very demanding and you just need to log everything you do, because a lot of things are connected, and if you want to change one thing you have to know effects this change will have on other parameters.

Mishikedman;n9846541 said:
skacikpl I agree, lighting system is fantastic, also it is not that demanding for hardware and it works. But i can get why some people like realistic take on the game. Point on moding and tools is also spot on, because it is easy to work with. Only problem here is that moding lighting in Witcher eats soo much time, and it is very demanding and you just need to log everything you do, because a lot of things are connected, and if you want to change one thing you have to know effects this change will have on other parameters.

Yes, Example for sun : Sun and Moon color\sun color : if you change this parameter, it change light for bright sun in sky\ sunColorSky + sunColorSkyBrightness + sunInfluence + globalSkyBrightness.

Sam for clouds in m_colorGroups\ fxSky + fxSkySunset + customGroup0 + customGroup1 + customGroup3.

For Cut scene, Camera Light you can add line for lightMod1 and lightMod2 :
useCustomLight
overrideColor
lightOffset
brightnessScale
radiusScale
deactivateLight
useCustomAttenuation

For Light properties event

enabled
color
lightColorSource
radius
brightness
attenuation
placement

For test i Change light in cut scene in prologue ,start new game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v6uqEux933LVkaLfnSYlw6EbL0DlJ9Hn/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

skacikpl;n9846461 said:
Uh, it's not a mess. Cutscenes and dialogues are exactly what the name would imply, it's an artistic choice to add light to them to achieve certain effect.
that's like expecting a movie to be recorded using only daylight that was present on given day.

Also, boris didn't make ENB for W3 because it's a DX11 game and he doesn't like either Witcher games nor DX11.
Also the lighting system is not tedious, especially with official tools - if anything it's good because it allowed them to achieve the artistic results they wanted for each scene which actually makes it better than crude lighting in games like Skyrim where you don't really get much control over lighting besides ones you have in given place.

See, I saw a post that stated otherwise and that it was the fact that each region used its own lighting, its scene used its own lighting, that made ENB simply not viable. I still think it sucks. The difference between in-game lighting and cut-scene lighting is just TOO drastic. Its like a whole different environment and atmosphere. Creating FAKE lights also blows. I don't mean just fake character lighting, but when standing in the middle of a very dark interior, you get a cut scene that shines uber-bright light on all characters is just ridiculous because there is no actual light source in gameplay for that light!!! In games like Skyrim and Fallout you can just disable that fake character lighting and that's it - no custom cut scene crap. It's incredibly annoying.

And using No Cut Scene Lighting mod also sucks because Geralt ends up with overly dark face in too many cut scenes if that custom cut scene lighting is not used. No custom lighting mod is going to fix gameplay-vs-cut-scene lighting because nobody is going to go through 1400+ w2scene files to disable those fake light sources.

MonarchX;n9847661 said:
And using No Cut Scene Lighting mod also sucks because Geralt ends up with overly dark face in too many cut scenes if that custom cut scene lighting is not used. .
exactly this is the reason why there is custom cutscene lighting and your "fake lights". to make sure that is not happening.
but still you want to remove the fake lights???
I think by now no one knows what you want.

Guest 3841499

KamehamehaNudel;n9848101 said:
exactly this is the reason why there is custom cutscene lighting and your "fake lights". to make sure that is not happening.
but still you want to remove the fake lights???
I think by now no one knows what you want.

I want gameplay lighting = cut-scene lighting, including light sources AND gameplay/in-game lighting must be good enough for both in-game gameplay and cut scenes. That's not possible and even IF possible, it would require going through 1400+ w2scene files and removing custom cut-scene light source stuff. The reason there's custom lighting is because the "fantastic" lighting system failed to deliver in-game lighting that would also be great for cut scenes...

Guest 2364765

MonarchX;n9849271 said:
lighting system failed to deliver in-game lighting that would also be great for cut scenes...

It didn't fail, it was a deliberate artistic design choice.
Imagine that hollywood movies were made without CGI and only used day light because everything else is fake and essentially is considered "cheating".

MonarchX;n9849271 said:
lighting system failed to deliver in-game lighting that would also be great for cut scenes...
skacikpl;n9849321 said:
It didn't fail, it was a deliberate artistic design choice. Imagine that hollywood movies were made without CGI and only used day light because everything else is fake and essentially is considered "cheating".

This is the gist. It's not possible to do natural lighting and effective scene lighting. The two are mutually exclusive. We tend not to notice awkward shadows or light imbalances in day-to-day activity. But if I "frame" it (like on a camera), the limited perspective highlights flaws and makes the final image uncomfortable to look at. Hence, we notice the way clothing falls, and whether our hair isn't even, and if there is a weird line of light on someone's cheek, etc. That's the reason camera crews set up all sorts of equipment to make a scene look "normal and natural".

Whatever TW3 does also changes the temperature of the lighting in each scene though. It adds a golden / yellow wash to each scene. I think that's why people notice it so much.

Guest 3841499

I am going to use Extended View Distance mod, where cut-scene lighting is used for in-game lighting. Therefore I need light sources to use custom light, but also disable fake light sources. How to make that happen? Should I simply add useCustomLight (set to True) ? Do I have to disable the fake cam also? Is there any way to tell which light source is fake or is it trial and error? Or should I I just remove all lightMod params and leave/add useCustomLight?

There's got to be a way to jump to cut scenes somehow - I don't have a savegame for each one and playing the game over and over again while editing 1415 files or more is not feasible... That cut scene files shown in the image is not nilfgaardian patrol scene, is it? I thought that was somewhere in files related to prologue dream + yenn interaction. There are no lightMods for it, so it doesn't use fake like sources, does it??? How can I tell if fake light sources are used at all then?

Then I guess there are true light sources, but their radius and brightness are greater in cut scenes. What values should I use for those to make them use env files? What makes sense to the most is to either remove lightMod parameter completely or delete everything withing each lightMod and add useCustomLight. If lightMod = light MODIFICATION, as in, different from cut-scene lighting, then its definitely lightMod that should be removed.

Or maybe just remove CameraLight itself? If CameraLight = Fake light source?

MonarchX;n9874921 said:
So... to get the light I want, without fake light sources, I have to simply add overrideColor and useCustomLight (set to True) ?

Yes

MonarchX;n9874921 said:
Do I have to disable the cam also?
no, your choice

MonarchX;n9874921 said:
Is there any way to tell which light source is fake or is it trial and error?

Check CStorySceneLine you have dialogue here,
now in scene refer at cam dialogue #123 go at CStorySceneSelection
search line contain NewEvent or cam
with #123

Set color X=0 Y=255 Z=0 for cam player
set color Red=255 Green=0 Blue=0 for global light cam

In game now you can localized light Green and Red

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

Oh yeah, to offset the dark scenes, there's the E3 Wisp mod by KNG. It will compensate for that. Witchers can see in the dark, especially with cat portion, but does cat potion work in dialogues? I haven't tried and can't play the game at the moment.

Guest 3841499

Looks like simply deleting lightMod entries works! Could someone, please test and let me know I am not seeing things / placebo-ing? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bg8XOYwJGwv_GTeqOPfqg1_N4l-34MoE/view?usp=sharing

The test scene is the first Opening Scene with Geralt in bath tub. Please use vanilla lighting first, notice the lights and where they come from, and then compare to my mod. Does after-scene light same as in-scene light? You cannot use it with lighting mods or weather. This one already includes both.

Guest 3841499

Fake light source removal worked, but I think w2scene events also include changes to real lighting sources (candles, torches, braziers)... I think they can be adjusted/disabled too, but what should I adjust to turn them off? I guess "Enabled - False" parameter should do it...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qFC...ew?usp=sharing

It's either that or there is script that increases/decreases light source brightness.

MonarchX;n9970031 said:
I guess "Enabled - False" parameter should do it...

no, candles and other light sources that are hardware chandeliers torches, candles, lanterns etc ...,are connected to the files .w2ent. then with the .env files. on m_colorGroups/fxFireLight

example : w2ent files change light uncook it
https://rd.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1886

Remove line ECG_FX_FireLight

Open flatCompileData
Edit CPointLightComponent#
and change color x/y/z and w is for brightness Group
Remove line ECG_FX_FireLight

Now , you can create scropt with DLC for call light with your color at your choice wen you want

Last edited:
Top Bottom