[SPOILERS] The lack of Witcher 2 decisions and content in The Witcher 3.

+
[SPOILERS] The lack of Witcher 2 decisions and content in The Witcher 3.

I purchased The Witcher 3's official strategy guide and quickly looked for my favorite characters from The Witcher 2.

I could only find a small handful: Triss, Dandelion, Zoltan, Philippa, Sile, Roche, Ves, and Letho. Furthermore the strategy guide states what impact the decisions of your Witcher 2 saved import (or your simulated save w/ Voorihs after the prologue) has on the game:

-Saving or Killing Aryan LaValette: Your interaction with an npc named Molly is different during the Main Quest: Broken Flowers.

-The path of Roche or Iorveth: This only effects a very small conversation choice during Main Quest: Get Junior when you visit Roche's camp for the fist time. (A guard will accuse you of working with the Scoia'tael and will get into a fist fight with you).

- Sile de Tansarville: If you allowed her to die, she does not appear during Main Quest: The Great Escape.

- The Witcher Letho: If Letho is alive the Secondary Quest "Ghosts of the Past, Becomes active later.

That's it.

Meanwhile, the decision to save Triss at Loc Muinne and avoid a witch-hunt or helping out your companion (Roche or Iorveth) is rendered completely irrelevant because The Witcher 3 forces the "witch hunt" result as canon. In addition Anais and Saskia are completely absent from the game - as is any mention of you helping to bring Temeria back together with Anais (Roche's path) or Saving Saskia and Vergen (Iorveth's Path).

Killing or Saving Henselt is rendered irrelevant because the game has it canon that Radovid conquers Henselt's army no matter what.

Saving or allowing Stennis to be lynched is irrelevant because he never shows up and all of Aedirn is conquered by Nilfgaard.

Killing Loredo or saving those elf girls is irrelevant because they never show up and Flotsam gets conquered by Nilfgaard.

Roche and Ves are available for everyone - while Iorveth is missing all-together from the game. Other missing characters are Aryan LaValette, John Natalis (although he's mentioned), Shilard, Dethmold, and Siegfried (as well as any minor characters on top of those).

You don't even get anything special for importing a save, unlike in The Witcher 2 where a Witcher import would grant you different starting swords and a bonus in orens.

All of this has left me wondering, what was the point of The Witcher 2 and all of those big decisions leading up to The Witcher 3 were if practically everything was going to be ignored? Why not reward fans by revisiting locations or having returning characters? I have to say, I'm very disappointed to find out there was no point in playing the Witcher 2.

Last edited:
Thanks man, that's what I've been looking for all along.

So the only repercussion from choosing between Iorveth's vs Roche's path is the fist fight and saving Triss or not is not going to matter whatsoever? So decisions 2 and 3 are completely redundant as I've gathered from your information?

That's a shame, really. I hoped they would make it better than the Mass Effect series, not worse.

Recurring characters are all well and good, but those were quite big political decisions/outcomes and yet, they barely mattered.

Thanks man, that's what I've been looking for all along.

So the only repercussion from choosing between Iorveth's vs Roche's path is the fist fight and saving Triss or not is not going to matter whatsoever? So decisions 2 and 3 are completely redundant as I've gathered from your information?

Unfortunately so. Roche and Ves are there no matter what and act the same to you despite what path you chose before. Saving Triss does not matter as the game still acts as if Radovid called for the massacre at Loc Muinne and acts as if all magic users are to blame for everything.

yeah i am very dissapointed and have to say, that bioware does a better job in putting storyparts together. its a great game on its own, but leaves me with serious plot issues especially since i chose the Iorveth path for a reason and i chose to save saskia for a reason... and not even getting a mentioning of what happened to these choices leaves me with a bitter taste.

I'm still not that far in Witcher 3 and the game is great so far, but knowing that our choices from Witcher 2 are so irrelevant is a big turn off for me. :(

Lets hope the DLC are going to fix this.

Actually anais is not removed it has impact later. Also I could tell that the witch hunt would be forced by Radovid no matter what. The endings of the EE of WItcher 2 clearly hinted that.

Actually anais is not removed it has impact later. Also I could tell that the witch hunt would be forced by Radovid no matter what. The endings of the EE of WItcher 2 clearly hinted that.

What's the impact of anais? does it have to do with saving her? Isn't it better not saving her so she can grow up without the influence of kings and politics and reclaim her throne later?

Not sure I just saw her mentioned in the guide. So don't know which would be better. Trying to avoid too much spoilers.

I burst out laughing when the Nilfgaard interrogator berated me for helping Iorveth instead of Triss as it 'caused Radovid to go on a witch hunt' when Nilfgaard helped set the whole thing up.

CDPR really, really dropped the ball with politics and witcher 2 saves.

- Not a single mention of Iorveth or Saskia in the entire game save the irrelevant 'choices' conversation.
- Stennis' kingdom just gets mowed down
- No clarification on what happens to John Natalis after he gets ploughed by Nilfgaard
- Roche is your friend regardless of who you sided with, despite the fact the Witcher 2 'Secrets of Loc Muinne' quest shows him planning to assassinate you
- Radovid made a blubbering madman for no reason
- Nilfgaard whitewashed, acting as if shit like the Cintra slaughter didn't happen
- Henselt dies regardless when Radovid attacks Kaedwen, and every single Kaedweni soldier instantly joins Radovid's side, despite Zyvik describing Henselt as 'like our father' and him potentially having the whole Pontar Valley

Its definitely disappointing BUT nothing new the TW1 events didn't matter either in TW2

I love TW3 but the whole save import thing is a lot better in Bioware games
Still since the game is otherwise so awesome I don't mind that much

DA:I had better save import but was still a terrible game for an example

Its definitely disappointing BUT nothing new the TW1 events didn't matter either in TW2

I love TW3 but the whole save import thing is a lot better in Bioware games
Still since the game is otherwise so awesome I don't mind that much

DA:I had better save import but was still a terrible game for an example

Poor example since I thought Inquisition was vastly superior in acknowledging previous game choices.

I'm calling it now that the events regarding Pontar, Saskia, Sile, and Iorveth will be dealt with in an extended edition or a the expansions.

Poor example since I thought Inquisition was vastly superior in acknowledging previous game choices.

I'm calling it now that the events regarding Pontar, Saskia, Sile, and Iorveth will be dealt with in an extended edition or a the expansions.

Yeah I agree I did say DA:I had a much better Save import, its not like choices mattered significantly (OGB just brushed aside etc.) but at least they were acknowledged properly

---------- Updated at 11:07 PM ----------

I burst out laughing when the Nilfgaard interrogator berated me for helping Iorveth instead of Triss as it 'caused Radovid to go on a witch hunt' when Nilfgaard helped set the whole thing up.

CDPR really, really dropped the ball with politics and witcher 2 saves.

- Not a single mention of Iorveth or Saskia in the entire game save the irrelevant 'choices' conversation.
- Stennis' kingdom just gets mowed down
- No clarification on what happens to John Natalis after he gets ploughed by Nilfgaard
- Roche is your friend regardless of who you sided with, despite the fact the Witcher 2 'Secrets of Loc Muinne' quest shows him planning to assassinate you
- Radovid made a blubbering madman for no reason
- Nilfgaard whitewashed, acting as if shit like the Cintra slaughter didn't happen
- Henselt dies regardless when Radovid attacks Kaedwen, and every single Kaedweni soldier instantly joins Radovid's side, despite Zyvik describing Henselt as 'like our father' and him potentially having the whole Pontar Valley

Yeah as much as I love TW3 I wish they dealt with the politics aspect better, especially seeing as how complex they were in TW2

Yeah I agree I did say DA:I had a much better Save import, its not like choices mattered significantly (OGB just brushed aside etc.) but at least they were acknowledged properly

Yeah. Witcher 3 is wonderful. I love it vastly more than Inquisition but gosh darn it CDPR... not even a mention of my bud Iorveth or my beloved Saskia?

I thought the OGB was handled nicely ESPECIALLY as there was an entirely alternate path where Morrigan doesn't have the OGB in the first place. In comparison, CDPR seems to just take the Roche path as the only canon and ran with it.

As for impact, OGB seems to be a set up as an ultimate end-game for the series. We'll see. It's too early to tell.

On that regard dissapointing yes, also if we talk about consistency I'm quite puzzled with Triss approach towards Philippa. Is she THAT naive or is she planing a sadistic and secret revenge plot that will take years, or something else but (spoilers! err... old spoilers =P) as you know Triss' little statue were inside Philipa's damn drawer while we were searching for her like a mad man. (face palm situation really, remembering everytime Geralt passing near her desk, and her madallion shakes and geralt says "hmmmm... what could it be...") pass that Triss ended up tortured and almost died because of Philippa, hell, thinking that she was one of the prime responsibels for all that pain in our asses at Witcher 2, why in earth she is so willing to help Philippa is beyond me... Wait... Does she have amnesia now?

On that regard dissapointing yes, also if we talk about consistency I'm quite puzzled with Triss approach towards Philippa. Is she THAT naive or is she planing a sadistic and secret revenge plot that will take years, or something else but (spoilers! err... old spoilers =P) as you know Triss' little statue were inside Philipa's damn drawer while we were searching for her like a mad man. (face palm situation really, remembering everytime Geralt passing near her desk, and her madallion shakes and geralt says "hmmmm... what could it be...") pass that Triss ended up tortured and almost died because of Philippa, hell, thinking that she was one of the prime responsibels for all that pain in our asses at Witcher 2, why in earth she is so willing to help Philippa is beyond me... Wait... Does she have amnesia now?

LMFAO, I completely forgot that. To be fair, in the books Yen doesn't remember a thing when she's compressed but still... you mean to tell me Triss didn't find out at all what happened to her? Just pathetic writing tbh.

Top Bottom