Question about XP from contract.

+
Question about XP from contract.

If I start any contact within +-5 level, I get full XP, about 300-400.
If I start contract on >+5 level, I get 1 xp, that I understand.

The question is: what if I, for example, start level 10 contract at level 6, fight monster, but collect my reward (finish the quest) at level >16??? How much xp will I gain?? Full 300-400, or 1???

The problem for me is if I play contract on level close to contract level, I gain very much XP and level up too fast. But if I play contract on >+5 of designated level, I slay so terrifying big ugly monster in 2-3 strikes, which is uninteresting.

iCake

Forum veteran
The XP destribution is pretty straight forward, it checks your level range exactly upon rewarding you XP points, it doesn't take into considiration the level you were when you started the quest. So if you hold on the reward for the quest and come back for it when you're out of the level range, you'll only get severely reduced XP.

Celestes666;n9020710 said:
The problem for me is if I play contract on level close to contract level, I gain very much XP and level up too fast. But if I play contract on >+5 of designated level, I slay so terrifying big ugly monster in 2-3 strikes, which is uninteresting.

You can turn "enemy upscaling" in settings for that matter. That way you'll always get to fight enemies of at least your level, thus avoiding too easy fights. Look how it's called upscaling as it will not downscale your foes. Also keep in mind that this option doesn't affect the XP you receive in any way. There's a few bugs with this as well, when it fails too properly upscale to your level and makes it a little too difficult by bumping foes way over your level range instead. Luckily these issues are few and far between, you'd want to turn it off before the jinn fight though. Some fist fights also suffer, so you might wanna turn it off there as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer!
I want to fight contract monster who is 3-4 level above me, and then gain 1xp after collecting reward when I am 6 levels above initial contract level. That way it is interesting to fight, and I wont level up too fast.

Unfortunately, level upscaling doesnt work for contacts. I tried, but then I killed lv35 archgriffin contract with 2-3 strikes (i was maybe lvl42, dont remember exactly).

iCake

Forum veteran
You'll still have those XP hefty main quests. The thing is the XP curve was specifically designed like this to kind of control very different kind of players throughout the game in how they level up in relation to their main quest progress. E.g. You'll end up at least level 30 right before the final main quest (DLC excluded) even if you rushed through the game, taking no detours. On the other hand, completionists are unlikely to be above 40 and frankly it's very hard to get that high-levelled without knowledgebly taking advantage of the XP distribution system. Most players will be around 32-38 at that point. In any case, sorry for dwelving so deep here. The actual point I'm trying to make is that there's hardly any sense in trying to control your level in this game, the differencies kind of even out at any given point as the game is already controlling your level anyway.

Celestes666;n9021350 said:
Unfortunately, level upscaling doesnt work for contacts. I tried, but then I killed lv35 archgriffin contract with 2-3 strikes (i was maybe lvl42, dont remember exactly).

It does work, the problem is the game just fails to deliver a challenge to any experienced player, even on "deathmarch". That's especially true for high-levelled Geralt. The game difficulty starts to continuously deteriorate from around level 10. Luckily CDPR recognized this by making their DLC quite harder. I suggest that you switch to them if you're looking for a challenge, the actual challenge will vary on your skills as a player of course. Oh, and if you don't own the DLCs, it's basically a must buy. You'll not regret this if you liked the base game, they basically regarded as a step-up to an already great game by the players.

P.S. If you're by any chance on PC, you'd be better off turning to mods to fix that problem you want to fix. There are quite a few good ones to adress that. I personally recommend checking the "Ghost Mod" up on Nexus. It strives to retain the vanilla feel and comes out more like a "fix" than a mod.

Last edited:
Thank you for answer.
I have all dlc, i completed the game twice, now is the third time.
The problem for me is that contracts give me soooo many xp, i level up very fast, especially first 10 levels.
I try to control xp, knowing how much xp will give story quests.
I agree, that in the end, i will be level 30-32 no matter what I do.
I dont do abandonded places question marks, cause it gives a lot xp too, i save it for later.
But then there are contracts, and there are like 30 of them (300-400*30=12000xp!! 12 levels, or so). If I dont get xp from them (and still have a tough fight using that starting lvl1 silver sword), that means I have "free-xp" and can finish more side quests and question marks parallel with completion of story missions and still not being over-leveled.
My english is not perfect, sorry.
​​

Oh, and I am on ps4, so I cant use mods.
The only real hard fight was Dettlaff second mega nuclear stage. I tried for one hour then switched to super-easy difficulty and watched the ending.
Also, first 10 levels of the game is pretty hard on deathmarch, cause 2-3 drowners or nekkers could be quick death:))))

iCake

Forum veteran
In that case holding off turning a contract can be just what will work well for you. Good luck! First few levels can be hard, yes, but unfortunately it's a drop in the bucket.

Top Bottom