Was Gaunter O'Dimm retconned into the prologue quests?

+

Guest 3823474

Was Gaunter O'Dimm retconned into the prologue quests?

I just started New Game+ out of curiosity and was very surprised to find that, in the Wild Orchard Inn, the guy you talk to to advance the quest Lilac and Gooseberries, is Gaunter O'Dimm. I don't have an original savegame from that early and I don't want to experiment with removing expansion packs, but it seems to me like that was originally a different character and that one was later replaced by O'Dimm. Can you confirm?

iCake

Forum veteran
Your conclusions are wrong, probably human tendency to always assume the worst. O'Dimm was there from the very beginning. He always struck me as an odd fella and it was very nice to see why in the expansion that followed. A lot of people didn't even remember the guy though, but that's their loss.

I didn't make that mistake myself but it's only on my 2nd playthrough where I realised despite his saying so during HoS that it's the same guy you met back in White Orchard.

Yes, he was always there from the beginning. If I recall correctly, he was not originally shown as "Gaunter O'Dimm" in the inn, though, but the dialogue was the same, so he already introduced himself as Gaunter O'Dimm. Also, the scene file of that conversation (which I do not think has changed since the original release) internally calls him "Mirror", while in the name of the file he is referenced as "Mephisto". Another interesting bit: in the witcheress epilogue, the player can meet the dwarves from The Isle of Mists again, and they talk about selling a golden chalice to a certain "Mr. Mirrory". That was also there from the first release in May 2015.

Guest 3823474

Pushtrak;n9291651 said:
I didn't make that mistake myself but it's only on my 2nd playthrough where I realised despite his saying so during HoS that it's the same guy you met back in White Orchard.

I was puzzled in the HoS dialogue when he mentioned we had met before. Felt like I was missing something. Was in fact just well played. Some random NPC in the prologue gave me a few lines and that's it. Who would remember him? Then I had a year-long hiatus shortly before the main game ending, so no way I could have remembered him.

Ay, as previously confirmed, Master Mirror was there from the start. Like many players, at the time, I thought it a bit odd that he seemed to mysteriously vanish after Geralt's and his little chat. . .

I remember the words O'dimm said in White Orchad, "we men of the road must stick together, perhaps one day i'll be in trouble, and you'll be there to help".
Always expected to meet him again.

It was really well done.

Well I learned something new the other day apparently Gaunter is possibly responsible for a specific curse quest in Blood & Wine. I won't go into to much detail as to spoil for those who have not played it yet, but during the quest, you find several notes and a diary (if you look for them cause they don't form part of the quest) one of the notes mentions that the affected individuals family had searched for the person that cast the curse but the cursed individual could not remember who he was ...possibly he was a vagrant ...and possibly once a merchant of mirrors ......

In the tavern scene at the start of the main game when Gerald asks Gaunter who his is or what he does one of the dialog trees will lead to Gaunter referring to himself as a "mandgey vagrant" ......depending if you chose to be dismissive of him with your answer.

oh ...the blood and wine quest I'm referring to involves spoons....... (For those of you that have played it)

Last edited:
Yes, there was even a thread about the Gaunter O'Dimm reference in Blood and Wine not long after the release. I wonder if there are more references that are not so easy to notice?

Top Bottom