Saddened that I had to kill Dettlaff to save the others

+

Guest 3823474

Saddened that I had to kill Dettlaff to save the others

None of them deserved to die. Even though Dettlaff's siege on the city was extreme, put yourself in his wings. It feels horrible enough to have your beloved kidnapped and having to kill to get her back. The fact the victims were violating chivalty rules is little consolation. And then it was all deception. You got tricked into serial murder for nothing. And his 'darling' didn't even have the decency to communicate properly to him what she could communicate to Geralt. Even if she thought he'd not understand, he deserved her best try. And him besieging the city, well, that was Ana choosing love-based nepotism. But overall there was way too little communicating for the sake of drama. Makes for good storytelling of course, but for me as a communicator it's bothersome.
The whole chain of pain could have been stopped in its tracks if Ana had put her foot down. She's the ruler, damnit! She wants to be strong and merciful but maybe a lot of that was wishful pretending after what she had done. She could have predicted what pains her sister would have to endure as an exiled demonized figure. How could she give in like that? (Reminds me a bit of the writing of Celestia and Luna in MLP though. Beloved sister threw a demonic hissy fit and got banished to the moon for 1000 years. Hmmmm. Bit excessive maybe?)
Interesting musing if all had been saved: Would Dettlaff get inofficial, implied amnesty? He definitely should, according to Ana's stance on her sister's actions. My bad feelings about having to kill Dettlaff as if he was the villain in the end almost tempts me to consider an alternate ending more satisfying where the sisters both die and Dettlaff lives. Because the supposedly best ending has a rotten aftertaste of human exceptionalism and glorification, like humans' weakness and mistakes deserve forgiveness where vampires' doesn't. It is vexing how 'Deadlaff' becomes a mere afterthought and a contract monster you get paid for. Either mercy for everybody or for nobody. But I guess this is the typical writing of the Witcher games that it's hard to achieve an altogether good outcome. Well, at least if you want to see it in a cynical way like that. Every now and then I found myself wanting to speak my own dialogue in scenes, more based on Dandelion's expertise. (I would actually like to see a spinoff game where you play Dandelion, more focused on in detail skillful human interaction and music and such.)

R.I.P. Dettlaff
P.S.: Also pains me to see Regis having yet another saddening burden on his soul. He'll have to carry that around for a very long time.

You cannot get a perfect happy ending, at least one of them always dies. It is possible to avoid killing Dettlaff and making Regis an outcast among vampires by not giving the ribbon to Syanna when you have the chance to do that, but then Syanna is killed by Dettlaff and Geralt ends up (temporarily) in prison.

I think Dettlaff deserves to die. If you look it like this: Sysanne only tried to kill people involved in her matters, while Dettlaff involved alot of innocent people. And if I remeber correctly, Geralt kill monsters that cause harm to innocent people (which is basically what Dettlaff did).

Dettlaff is a hotheaded person acts mostly on emotions, similar to Hjalmar. No good outcome comes from acting on emotions. So since you had to kill someone Dettlaff is the one who deserves to die between them. Even if you could save Dettlaff I would've killed him.

I feel like Regis is smoothing things out about Dettlaff just cuz he feels a burden that Dettlaff saved his life. But in reality Dettlaff seems to be more of a egomaniac, why did he even kill the person in the flashbacks that helped him?

Top Bottom