Decoction actual numbers?

+
Decoction actual numbers?

Has anyone, anywhere actually figured out exactly what the various decoctions and abilities in this game do? I feel like that's a standard thing for a deep rpg with a vehement fanbase, but I've yet to see it anywhere (the various wikis are empty of useful info).

What I mean is this. You've got, for instance, several different decoctions that increase your Attack Power over the course of the fight (though some say 'damage dealt' which makes me think AP doesn't include spells).

Succubus just increases it through a fight till it reaches a cap,
Forktail increases it if you mix attacks and spells,
Wyvern increases it as you land blows unless and until you get hit
Water Hag You have higher damage dealt as long as your health is full

Without any info, Succubus seems far and away the best of these three since you don't have to do anything to get the bonus and can't lose it by getting hit. But what exactly is its cap? Is perhaps Wyvern ultimately the strongest if you manage a perfect fight?
And this is leaving aside the question of whether they stack.

And what about

Arachas Reduces damage recieved based on armor and inventory weight. less weight carried/lighter armor means less damage is taken

Hypothetically this decoction is great, but who knows what it means. Is the bonus for wearing Light armor enough to make it better than wearing, say, Heavy? And what exactly does it mean by "less weight carried"? Is it a sliding scale? Is there a cutoff? Will mixing it with Fiend decoction improve the effect?

Chort doesn't even work

But then there's

Earth Elemental increases the witcher's resistance to Vitality depleting critical effects applied during combat. The resistance level rises the longer the effect is applied

I don't even know what the hell that one's about. I'm assuming it's talking about getting poisoned or burned (not that that ever happens), though what good being more resistant to posoining because I'm already poisoned for longer will do me idk.

I love using decoctions and potions. With the right ability I'm running around always with 2 or 3 decoctions (if one is Basilisk) on plus room for several potions. The trouble is not that some are worthless (Werewolf, Nekker Warrior) but that many are hard to judge.
I just figured that by now someone woul'dve gone into the guts of the thing and pulled out the data to make one of those detailed guides, whether on forums or wikis or even bloody youtube, that games like this always get.

Maybe I just missed it?

Wyvern & Water Hag Decoction are extremly powerful in combination if you are good enough to not getting hit.

I once raised my heavy attack Damage from around 90 to 400 against an earth elemental which was 12 lvl above me.

Wyvern & Water Hag Decoction are extremly powerful in combination if you are good enough to not getting hit.

I once raised my heavy attack Damage from around 90 to 400 against an earth elemental which was 12 lvl above me.

Well, they stack. Thanks.

Nothing is out there? Really? :/

Katakan Decoction - Increases Critical Hit Chance by 5%.
Arachas Decoction - 20% damage reduction bonus while at zero weight, 0% bonus while at full weight.
Cockatrice Decoction - All alchemy creations can be used one additional time (except Decoctions)
Archgriffin Decoction - Consumes 100% Stamina for 5% Enemy HP Reduction using a Strong Attack. Also counts the damage the Strong Attack makes in the total (the damage total on screen does not show the 5%, but only the strong attack damage).
Water Hag Decoction - Damage dealt is increased by 50% when character HP is at its maximum.
Nightwraith Decoction - Geralt's maximum HP is increased by 50 with each foe killed. Effects lasts until meditation or fast travel.
Ekimmara Decoction - Damage dealt to foes regenerates HP. (Health restored = 10% of damage dealt + 1)
Chort Decoction - +40% to knockdown resistance for each 100 points of carry weight. (This got updated in 1.12, so needs to be checked again)
Foglet Decoction - Increases Sign Intensity during Cloudy Weather by 25%.
Wyvern Decoction - Each blow landed increases Attack Power by 1% until fight ends or damage is taken. (No max limit)
Doppler Decoction - Increase critical hit damage by 50% when attacking from behind.
Troll Decoction - Regenerates Vitality during (20) and outside (100) of combat.
Noonwraith Decoction - Sets Blindness, Hypnotized, Knockdown/Stagger/Confusion, Slowdown effects duration to 0.5 sec.
Succubus Decoction - Attack power grows in 1% increments every 2 sec over the course of the fight until reaching a maximum of threshold of 30%.
Alghoul Decoction - Adrenaline Points are generated 50% more quickly until the player receives damage.
Fiend Decoction - Increases the amount of weight the Witcher can carry by 20.
Forktail Decoction - 50% to attack power and spell power after at least three of these actions: counter, attack, sign, bomb, crossbow. Clears buff after the attack, removed at the end of combat.
Grave Hag Decoction - Each foe slain accelerates Vitality regeneration by 5 for the duration of the battle (No Max Limit)
Wraith Decoction - When a single hit reduces HP by 30% or more, a Quen shield is triggered.
Earth Elemental Decoction - Increases resistance to vitality depleting critical effects (burning, poison, bleeding) applied during combat by 10%.
Ekhidna Decoction - Performing actions that consume Stamina regenerates Vitality (100% Stamina Use = 10% HP restore)
Ancient Leshen Decoction - Each Sign cast increases Stamina regen by 2/s until the remainder of the fight (No max limit)
Basilisk Decoction - Applies a random beneficial effect at dusk and dawn. The effect lasts 6 hours.
Werewolf Decoction - Running, sprinting and jumping outside combat does not consume Stamina.
Nekker Warrior Decoction - Mounts never Panic. 50% increase to mounted combat damage.
Leshen Decoction - A portion of the damage dealt by enemies is reflected back on the attacker. (2% of damage taken + 10)
Griffin Decoction - Taking damage increases damage resistance (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning, rending, elemental) in 1% increments up to a maximum of 25% for the remainder of the fight.
Reliever's Decoction - Increases damage dealt by 10% and decreases damage taken by 15% against Wraiths (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning, rending, elemental).

Source: Game files.
Note: I've used Vitality and HP interchangeably.

Last edited:
I know this is an old topic but just wanted to chime in, I personally find it best to combine the like decoction's;

Ekimmara
Grave Hag
Ekhidna
NightWraith

This combination will put you at 280% toxicity and you will not be able to use any potions afterwards, so you should use potions before hand or after the third decoction to bump the potions time span. If you use it in conjunction with Heightened Tolerance, Delayed Recovery, Fast Metabolism and Metamorphosis with Side Effects you get a combo of having 6 decoctions and 6 potions active at a single time. Which is where you might want to think about which decoctions are better and which are usesless in most cases.

For instance you can possibly combine that with a second favorite Decoction setup I use.
Wyvern
Succubus
Wraith

Which is more geared towards attack power, if you throw in Blizzard you're pretty much unstoppable even in death march at lvl 100.

In NG+ the best combo is Griffin + Echidna + Water Hag + Succubus. Griffin helps you reach 99% all resists witch allows you keeping Quen up all the time. Echidna allows healing while casting Quen and is more than enough to keep your life at 100% without needing to hit the enemies (your high resistances means you can never take too much damage even if your shield drops). Having Quen up most of the time means it's very easy to keep up the 50% bonus from Water Hag. Succubus is just added damage with no drawback.

For NG it's better to replace Succubus with Arachas because your resists won't be as high as in NG+.

Top Bottom