Looking for rare monster ingredients

+
Looking for rare monster ingredients

Specifically, cave troll liver and cockatrice stomach. And red mutagens wouldn't hurt either.
I don't suppose there's a vendor somewhere who sells such stuff?
I've yet to find a hostile cave troll, only Bart and Trololololo. Fought a couple of cockatrices but no luck there.
Need those items to upgrade a couple of oils to enhanced level, then superior. I have all the ingredients needed except these.

You can't buy them & need to be around level 20 or so to pick them up or you will get wasted.

Red's are rare but head to the main island in the Skellage Isles & find Yustinna's Grotto north of the miners camp it has a signpost outside & the woodland surrounding it is jammed full with level 20 bugs that drop reds like candy. Clear the forest then warp back to Novigrad & then back to the Grotto again & they will all re-spawn & you should get a few reds each time.

You can pickup the other items by following the guides below just make a save so if they don't drop you can reload & try again.

Troll livers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O7eHiXHIzw

Cockatrice stomach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLaIGT0UMGU

Found one! Under the bridge, SW from Crossroads on Velen. Used to be a bandit camp (I cleared that a while back).
Now, the million dollar question - will it respawn?

Edit: nope, I couldn't get it to respawn.

Last edited:
I don't think so if it's the one I think you mean they stopped re-spawning after update 1.11. If your after another a troll lives in cave just east of the village of Ursten. It's labeled as monster den on your map & is full of neckers but he also lives in the cave. Just remember to make a save so if he doesn't drop a liver you can try again.

I know this is an older thread but for new players like me, cave troll livers aren't hard to come by, especially once you get to Skellige. I ended up with several more than I need. Aside from the Crow's Perch shrieker quest, there's another cockatric in the field between Yantra and Novigrad.

Top Bottom