I'm so pissed about "It takes three to tango"!

+
RickAucoin;n7957510 said:
And yet the game clearly says that's not what happens. It says he spends the rest of his days as a wandering Witcher, occasionally reminiscing with old friends about the life he might have led if he'd made different choices.

Alone. For the rest of his life.

And imo that's really crap for the writers to pull.

Geralt never seemed to have trouble finding female companionship and I doubt that would change. I think your Geralt would do just fine ;)

RickAucoin;n7957280 said:
I found this "quest" immensely disappointing for several reasons. Primarily because it doesn't seem that Geralt deserves for the two women he loves to write him off and walk away as though they simply don't care.
Neither of them seem broken up about this. What's Yennifer's line, "Geralt of Rivia simply doesn't matter to either of us any more."

Well, that's nice, Yennifer.

It's exceedingly difficult to tell what's "in character" and not based on playing these games. Especially when it comes to Yennifer. Who could guess what her likely actions were in this scenario based only on what we see ingame? No one.

It was already difficult to understand what Yennifer's appeal was, other than she's hot. Okay, she's smoking hot. Got it. But she didn't come looking for Geralt and when he asked why her answer was essentially "Eh, you're a grown up. I knew you could take care of yourself."

Sure, he can. But that doesn't mean he wanted to spend the entire first and second game alone. It doesn't mean he doesn't miss her. It doesn't mean that when he recovers his memories and realizes "Hell, she never even tried to find me" that it didn't burn like hell.

With Triss? My Geralt and her had a good relationship going at the end of the second game. The word I've read explaining the sharp disconnect between the second game and the third game as regards the relationship between Geralt and Triss is that Triss decided after game 2 that she'd taken advantage of his amnesia to the point where it poisoned the relationship, in her mind. She left him, told him to go back to square one and maybe they'd see each other again some day and maybe they'd be friends or maybe they'd be more but she was leaving and hitting the reset button on the relationship.

Now that's a bit contrived if you ask me, but okay, take it for what it is.

Now in Game 3 Geralt gets back together with Triss. And why wouldn't he? He still cares for her. HE didn't leave her after game 2, that was all her. He understands she feels guilty for taking advantage of his amnesia but he knows he had agency in deciding to pursue a relationship with her in game 2. She didn't "take advantage" nearly as much as her guilty concience insists.

So, they get together in Game 3. My Geralt is STILL carrying around the Rose of Rememberance, a magical item that PROVED he loved her in Game 2. And which she just left behind in a dresser at her home in Novigrad and didn't try to recover.

What does Yennifer and Geralt have by this point? Very little. We met her for the first time ever ingame at the start and she was cold, to say the least. And by the time we're making decisions about a relationship with Triss we've still not had any contact with Yennifer. Memories restored or not it sure seems like there's not much relationship there, at least on Yennifer's part. SHE DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO FIND HIM.

Then the Djinn story and it seemed incredibly cold to tell Yennifer at that point "Wow, it really was all the Djinn! At least on my part. I know you just confessed your feelings, but hey, turns out I don't give a $$%^ about you after all!"

If he EVER cared about her I couldn't see him doing that.

So, a lot of people (I quite easily imagine) ended up cuffed to that bed at the Kingfisher.

And why? Because at no point did we have the opportunity to talk to either Yennifer or Triss about our relationship(s), no chance to talk to either of them about whether they feel they're in an exclusive relationship with Geralt. Do they mind if he's hitting the whorehouses? Do they even react at all to the fact he slept with Kiera Metz? They never come to him pissed off about him sleeping with anyone, at any point.

So why would he feel like he was "cheating" on either of them? They didn't say they expected exclusivity. A confession of love isn't an automatic assumption of exclusivity either. Especially given that neither of them object to him sleeping around with all sorts of women, from whores to other sorceresses like Kiera.

If either of them had taken their plenty of opportunities from the Kaer Morhen portion of the 3rd game through the departure from Novigrad later to come to Geralt and talk to him about their relationship and what they expected and let him know "Hey, if we're going to be serious I need you to be exclusive with me. I know you still have lingering feelings and a relationship with Yennifer/Triss but that can't continue if you and I are going to go forward. Let me know what you decide and please decide soon."

If either had done that then Geralt wouldn't feel like he'd been blindsided. Blindsided by a cruel prank that took advantage of his trust of both of them (you do NOT shackle someone then leave them tied up, it's a "funny" joke but it's also something you just do NOT do) and blindsided by the fact that both of them walked out of that room having utterly ended their relationships and feelings for Geralt.

And why? Because he loved the other woman too? At some point in the past? And now, after months of amnesia and being left alone by Yennifer and all these struggles... they're going to just say "To hell with you Geralt, you didn't read my mind and know I expected you to never sleep with anyone else other than all of the whores of the world and all of the other sorceresses and other people EXCEPT Triss/Yennifer!"

My Geralt is standing on the ship with Yennifer having just told him "We've both decided that Geralt of Rivia simply isn't someone either of us care about any more." And Triss told him she didn't care anymore either.

He's standing there, looking at Ciri, looking at Yennifer and Triss, thinking of all of this he's been through strictly to help these people he cares about. All the effort he made helping Triss and her idiotic escaping mage plans. All the bull he put up with from Yennifer in order to help whatever plans she had.

And they tied him up, left him there, and both tell him the next day they simply don't care at all about him anymore.

That's not justice for a "cheater". That's cruelty. Sharp, harsh, cruelty to a person who didn't deserve it.

Seriously, we're standing there on the ship and I'm supposed to go do something something involving the Wild Hunt and Ciri and... I just can't care. He's standing there with his heart ripped out. By these two women who he trusted more than anyone other than maybe Ciri. Either of them could have spoken to him, but they never did. Hell, I LOOKED for opportunties to talk to them and figure out where this was going, starting at the Kaer Morhen portion of the game, when Triss and Yennifer are at the same place there with Geralt for the first time. And never did the game give me the opportunity to even try to figure out what was Geralt's chosen path going forward.

Both women refused to talk about it, then they cruelly broke up with him, in the most heartless way I can imagine.

So, unless the writers were TRYING to write both Yennifer and Triss as heartless cruel people that makes this entire scenario an example of bad writing.

And the worst part is how this throws a shadow over everything that happens now. I'm having a hard time understanding how my Geralt can even be civil to these two women. How he's not angry, very very angry, and washing his hands of both of them after telling them both exactly what he thinks about them now.

I just can't seem to care about the next step in the main storyline even. Just standing there on the ship, supposed to go look for a "sunstone". Like he even gives a damn anymore.

I completely agree with this post and we should have been given a chance to remedy this in a dlc or patch, I don't even care to finish the game now and I hate this so much, that if another Witcher game is made, I will not be purchasing it, unless this is fixed. The story lines were too far apart to go back and redo it now and I have lost the will finish the game. There should have been some option to come clean and tell Triss you are in love with Yen when the both come together in the story line. Fuck this is a real shitty way to treat the fans.

In my opinion, it is more or less fine as it is, it is not a BioWare game, and being given a second chance would make the original choices meaningless - people could deliberately romance both and still get any ending they want. This post from another thread is a good explanation:

Rawls;n2141301 said:
If you tell one person you are in love with them, don't tell somebody else you are in love with them and expect everyone to be okay with that. Especially when they are both aware of your prior dalliances with each other and hold at least some negative association with said dalliances (which ought to be obvious for even non-book readers based on Geralt's conversations with Yen in the prologue and Triss in Novigrad). And while non-book readers would not know this, it is totally understandable that neither would be okay with Geralt sleeping with the other based on their fight in "the Lady of the Lake."

It was noon, when the sorceresses arrived in Rivia, within sight of the shiny surface of Loc Eskalott, the towers of the castle and the red roofs of the city.

'We're here,' said Yennefer. 'Rivia. What a curious and entangled destiny.'

Ciri was excited and Kelpie kept dancing and shuffling on the edge of the road. Triss Merigold sighed unnoticed. Rather, she believed it had been unnoticed.

'Please,' Yennefer looked at her. 'What strange sounds float from you beauteous breast, Triss. Ciri, go out and see what lies ahead.' Triss averted her face, determined not to give Yennefer any excuse. She did not expect it to work. For a long time she had been sensing Yennefer's anger and aggression growing stronger as they approached Rivia.

'You, Triss,' Yennefer mischievously insisted, 'do not blush, do not sigh, do not drool or wiggle around in your saddle. Or is it that you think because I agreed to your request that I want to have you with us? That I was interested in seeing you spend a meeting with an old love? Ciri, I asked you to go on ahead. The two of us need to talk!'

'It is not a discussion, it is a lecture,' Ciri dared to argue, but under the threatening glare from violet eyes, she immediately recoiled, clucked and galloped off on Kelpie on the road ahead.

'You're not going to meet a loved one, Triss,' Yennefer continued. 'I am not so noble or stupid enough to give you the opportunity, or him the temptation. But just for today. I could not deny myself the sweet satisfaction. He knows what role you play as a member of the Lodge. He will thank you for that with his famous look. And I'll be looking at your quivering lips and trembling hands, I will listen to your lame apologies and excuses. And you know what, Triss? I will faint with delight.'

'I knew,' Triss grunted. 'That you would not forget, that you would take your revenge. I agreed to this, because I was actually at fault. But one thing I must tell you, Yennefer. Do not count too much on fainting. He knows how to forgive.'

'He knows what was done to him, of course,' Yennefer narrowed her eyes. 'But he will never forgive you for what was done to Ciri. And me.'

'It is possible,' Triss swallowed. 'He may not forgive. Especially if you insist. But he won't fly into a rage. He won't lower himself like that.'

Yennefer flicked her horse with her whip in anger. The animal whinnied and leapt and the sorceress swayed in her saddle.'Enough talk,' she snapped. 'more humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, to stop thinking about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character... As of right now, right now! Oh I want to grab you by your matted red hair...'

'Try it!' screamed Triss. 'Just try it, you vindictive bitch and I'll scratch out your eyes!' I...'

The both fell silent when they saw the cloud of dust as Ciri galloped back towards them. They immediately understood that something was happening. Even before Ciri had reach them.

But assuming you don't know about the books. Let's just look at what you do know from the game itself. Triss is Yennefer's contact in Novigrad - she says so in the prologue (so they are talking to one another). Yennefer is obviously upset about Geralt's relationship with Triss during the earlier Witcher games in the prologue conversation. Geralt explicitly tells her it was only because he didn't have his memories (and Yennefer is like "BITCH I DON"T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR EXCUSES"). Let's assume for a moment that you play the game through and haven't had alot of time with Yen other than the prologue yet and you get to the Triss romance in Novigrad. From all the context clues you have at that point, it should be pretty apparent that sleeping with Triss is especially going to piss off Yennefer. So I don't think the "I didn't really know Yennefer yet" holds a lot of water. CDPR made it pretty clear that having a relationship with Triss would piss off Yen, even if it was not a serious relationship with Triss for Geralt (which would be a dick move in and of itself since he says "I love you" to Triss). So based on all the character clues you have in the game, even if you went back to Triss and said, "Sorry, I love Yen instead," there is no way that Yen would be cool with you sleeping with Triss. If you go for both, you're going to get neither. That's the way it should be.

Then when you get to Skellige, assuming you have said "I love you" to Triss, it would make sense that saying I love you to Yen afterwards would upset Triss. And we know Yen and Triss are talking to one another. If I were Triss and I found out what happened, I would totally tell Yen about Triss's relationship with Geralt, for many reasons ... not the least of which is (1) spite and (2) looking out for Yen to let her know what Geralt is doing.

SO ... yeah ... I voted no.

In any case, the development of the game has been finished half a year ago, it is unlikely that this or anything else would be changed now. But I would not miss out on future games just for that reason. :) It is true that choices in this game can be unforgiving, but that is by design, and it also adds to the replay value.

Last edited:
sv3672;n8925430 said:
In any case, the development of the game has been finished half a year ago, it is unlikely that this or anything else would be changed now. But I would not miss out on future games just for that reason. :) It is true that choices in this game can be unforgiving, but that is by design, and it also adds to the replay value.

I still hope we are getting Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut one day. Putting remaining bugs aside they really should add an ending for Shani in BaW, especially BaW is supposed to be the end of Geralt's story and the ending for her could be done without putting much effort in it.

And to people complaining about Triss/Yen relations with Geralt in TW3: in TW1 you could propose to Shani (you give her a wedding ring). Guess what happens at the beginning of TW2? You wake up in a bed with Triss by your side! Nothing in TW3 beats it. I bought TW2 on day one but because of this shit I couldn't force myself (for 5 years) to play the game. Not to mention I started to hate Triss because of that thing (even though it's not a character's fault).

Last edited:
duchU;n8936150 said:
Nothing in TW3 beats it.
---
That is very different. In TW1 you could basically get married with Shani and they got rid of her in TW2. In TW2 your relations with Triss are more balanced and what is more important you can still end up with her in TW3.

TW3 is not much different. Edit: you can also get "married" with Triss, and how you relate to her in TW2 is up to your choices, all that information is available to TW3 from the save file, so again, in the end it is not that different. It is another matter though that you do get another chance, but not with Shani. Anyway, while I understand the frustration and am not against the idea of having an ending with Shani, it was apparently not planned by CDPR, I doubt they would add that (or other content) to the game now that they are busy with other projects.

At the time when TW2 was made, it was already decided that Yennefer will be introduced in the final game, so I think that is one of the reasons the developers chose to focus on only one of the love interests from Witcher 1 as the alternative. It would have been more difficult to write the games with a Shani path throughout the trilogy - for example, to cover all the possible scenarios, we would need three different three to tango quests, and even a "foursome" version. Dialogues with Triss and Yennefer in Wild Hunt assume that Geralt recently had a relationship with the former, and that they parted ways after the second game, that would all need to be made conditional.

So, to CDPR's credit, it would not have been as easy as it may seem at first, and breaking the Shani path was probably a difficult decision. Nevertheless, more effort could still have been spent on the save import feature, given that it only affects 1-2% of the content in the games.

Last edited:
sv3672;n8936840 said:
That is very different. In TW1 you could basically get married with Shani and they got rid of her in TW2. In TW2 your relations with Triss are more balanced and what is more important you can still end up with her in TW3.

sv3672;n8936840 said:
Anyway, while I understand the frustration and am not against the idea of having an ending with Shani, it was apparently not planned by CDPR, I doubt they would add that (or other content) to the game now that they are busy with other projects.
There is always hope :) TW1 10 anniversary is coming. Adding ending for Shani in TW3 is the best thing they could do for me and probably for a significant amount of TW1 players (I say this as a player who still like TW1 the most of all three games, except maybe for HoS expansion which I think is the best part of the whole series).

sv3672;n8936840 said:
At the time when TW2 was made, it was already decided that Yennefer will be introduced in the final game, so I think that is one of the reasons the developers chose to focus on only one of the love interests from Witcher 1 as the alternative. It would have been more difficult to write the games with a Shani path throughout the trilogy - for example, to cover all the possible scenarios, we would need three different three to tango quests, and even a "foursome" version. Dialogues with Triss and Yennefer in Wild Hunt assume that Geralt recently had a relationship with the former, and that they parted ways after the second game, that would all need to be made conditional.

So, to CDPR's credit, it would not have been as easy as it may seem at first, and breaking the Shani path was probably a difficult decision. Nevertheless, more effort could still have been spent on the save import feature, given that it only affects 1-2% of the content in the games.
I get that but they reintroduced her in HoS so why the hell there is no ending for her in BaW? It can be done as a single quest where in the end Geralt leaves Corvo Bianco to find Shani (if you let Triss to go and you tell Yen you don't have feelings for her anymore during The Last Wish quest). No need to change anything in the base game or HoS. They made two unique worlds (the one with a desert and the one after it) just for one of Wild Hunt's quests. They made a quest for Roach. So come on, why there is no final quest for one of the most important characters from the 1st game? Especially this would repay what they did in TW2 with her.

Last edited:
I can't believe you didn't see it coming. You basically told "I love you" to two women, of course they didn't like it. Plus, Yen and Triss are very close friends, even if they didn't show it in the game, and they keep their friendship in very high consideration, despite the "battle" for Geralt's heart.

"The Last Wish" quest is a key quest in Geralt and Yen's relationship. If you want Triss only, you shouldn't say you still feel something for Yen. That quest is made for it, to break the spell that bound Geralt and Yen's fates in the books.

I can understand the OP's feeling on this.
If you discovered this series in 2017 as I did, you blazed through the first two games, enjoying every strumpet in sight. Especially in the first game.

In the second game, this is even used on the player in the quest...where if you can falsely acquit a female elf of double murder (bodies in cave with arrows) she invites you to come bang her at the waterfall, and you, the player, expect it to happen, because in the first game you gave a female elf a hunk of meat and she got so pissed with your pity she decided to have anger sex with you.

I could have expected the Triss/Yen decision to sort of be a last minute final decision that had to be made like the Triss/Shani in the first game.

On the other hand, maybe that's to help motivate you for a second playthrough. :hmm:

NukeTheMoon;n9189831 said:
I can understand the OP's feeling on this.
If you discovered this series in 2017 as I did, you blazed through the first two games, enjoying every strumpet in sight. Especially in the first game.

In the second game, this is even used on the player in the quest...where if you can falsely acquit a female elf of double murder (bodies in cave with arrows) she invites you to come bang her at the waterfall, and you, the player, expect it to happen, because in the first game you gave a female elf a hunk of meat and she got so pissed with your pity she decided to have anger sex with you.

I could have expected the Triss/Yen decision to sort of be a last minute final decision that had to be made like the Triss/Shani in the first game.

On the other hand, maybe that's to help motivate you for a second playthrough. :hmm:

This.

The fact that you can also bed a lot of random people (including their friend Keira) and neither Triss nor Yen mind is just baffling.
Yet have sex with one of the main two and woops, lost your chance.

Last edited:
I have to say, I really love that quest.
The perfect gift for greedy players who think you can play with the hearts of women who truly love you.
You hurt both of them, Triss and Yennefer and this is so mean of the player so I'm really happy, that CDPR made such a wonderful punishment for it. Well deserved :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom