Not getting gwent cards from playing merchants

+
Not getting gwent cards from playing merchants

According to the Gwent book, I have four more cards to get from "players of no particular renown or skill". I just visited Fyresdal for the first time, and played gwent with the smith there. I won, but I received miscellaneous crafting stuff instead of one of those 4 cards I've yet to get.
I reloaded from a quick save I made just prior to the game, played again, with the same result.
I'm not particularly worried at this time as there are quite a few people (non-quest) that I've yet to meet and play. Just wondering whether what I've experienced is normal.
This also happened with another gwent player in Velen (Claywich or Lindenvale or another in that general part of the map, I can't quite remember).

Edit: Just arrived and played the merchant at Holmstein's Port and won a card. A Phillipa Eilhart card, to be exact, which isn't on my list of cards to collect. Is this card present in the vanilla game or added by a DLC? (It's part of the base game)

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
There's one blacksmith on Skellige who doesn't reward a card, I guess he's kind of bugged. I don't remember the place's name though. In any case it looks like the situation has worked itself out.

My guess is that there're a couple of merchants, smiths etc that may be bugged, in that playing and winning against them for the first time doesn't net you a card,

I stopped getting random cards in one of my games when I was in Velen/Novigrad area. I had collected many cards at that point, but my collection wasn't complete yet. When I went to Skellige, I started receiving random cards again.

Never investigated the reasons behind that though. My uneducated guess was that there wasn't that many Monster players in Velen/Novigrad, but Skellige had many. So maybe all other random cards were already collected, but not Monsters? I'm not quite sure how that random card pool works. Only thing that I know, is that you start receiving items from random merchants after you have collected all random cards.

My guess is a glitch. After that one smith in Fyresdal, the next few people I played (innkeeps, merchants, smiths) all yielded cards from the random pool. Now I have only one more to go.

I have the same problem now. I'm only at the part in the main quest were you are to find Triss in Novigrad. I've stopped getting gwent cards from defeating new apponents. And i have so few gwent cards that the only playable deck I have is the Northen realms deck.

You probably know this, but many of the cards can only be obtained by defeating specific opponents or doing quests.
I did eventually manage to collect all the cards from the base game and got the achievement. There are sufficient merchants etc (those who drop random cards) that towards the end of my game (when I finished up in Novigrad and moved on to Skellige) that I didn't have to play many of thee types of opponents at all.

Can you only win 1 card from inn keepers/traders/merchants/blacksmiths? Or can you play with them again and eventually win another card?

misty_falls;n9897321 said:
Can you only win 1 card from inn keepers/traders/merchants/blacksmiths? Or can you play with them again and eventually win another card?

Only one card per NPC.

One and I believe only exception being
Gremist
, but one of his cards is tied to a Gwent quest. So while you can get two cards from him, only one counts towards cards won from "players of no particular renown", to quote A Miraculous Guide to Gwent.

Top Bottom