User Interface Thread

+
I would like to see more of a change in color of things like how the Monster Nest, Hidden/Guarded Treasures, Spoils of War, Persons in Distress, Bandit Camps etc. are just White when they havent been looted to something other then a slight change in transparent white from when they have been taken/destroyed or whatever on the Map.

I have a hard time making out if I already been to this camp, treasure or nest and cleared it out. I feel like I am constantly going to camps and nest that I have already been too many times with the rewards already taken. This has been my only problem with the game since release. got W3 on both my PS4 and PC

I totally agree with this! It's very rare for me to see any difference at all, I wasn't even a 100% sure there was one to be honest...
Was starting to think it was just wishful thinking ^_^

Ideally I would like to see the dotted line that shows the way in the corner map (you know the ingame gps) in another color too.

Bring the old UI back for the love of Witcher...CDPR always ruined something in their patches since patch 1.07 but this change in the UI ruined the game beyond insanity.I fired up the game eager to see the new main menu which I knew they would change and I was very glad with the change although changing the very 1st screen from the original was a dumb idea but okay,that is another talk.Ok was happy to the see that awesome song from the CGI now in the main menu and for what?....just to load ma save open the menu and see that abomination yes thats what the new UI is...an abomination.It killed all ma excitement for BaW like literally,in the moment I wanted to break ma disc and never play Witcher 3 again....I'm tired of expecting to see which thing CDPR will ruin in the next patch they release.

I even joked with ma brother when 1.20 popped up to download..."can't wait to see what they ruined this time around"....ha.

The worst of all this is that the game has so much but SO MUCH things that need to be fixed (and I do report them to the support) yet instead of focusing on fixing what needs to be fixed they go and change what do not need to be changed.Inconceivable!!!!

Really sad to see one of ma most beloved games being ruined bit by bit.

Welmosca, I don't think the UI is worst now, but more clear. However, I'd like to play with the old UI because I started the game with it.

Food consumption order

A simple idea: when you place a stack of food in a slot, and Geralt consumes it fully, it should be replaced with another kind of food with the same (or closest) attributes. Say, if there was bread of 50hp for 5 secs, it should be replaced with a stack of cheapest food/drink with the same parameters (i.e. 50x5, non-alcohol); if there are none, then cheapest of 50x10; if there are none, then 80x10; and finally alcohol (beer, then wine). I mean, when I put 50x5 food in a slot - then probably I don't consider incoming fight dangerous enough, and don't want to waste 80x10 food yet, right?

Give an option to quickly change potions from inventory, it's pain opening up an inventory when you need specific potion ex: black blood
than closing and opening it up again to select the potion you used to always carry after you drink the specific potion , if you can't do that at least give an option to consume potions directly from the inventory.

give an option to consume potions directly from the inventory.
THIS!

And also would be nice if UI remembered last inventory tab used. I.e. if I was using something from food & potions tab and closed inventory, I want to see this tab next time I press "i". To be honest, I'd make potions tab default; though, who knows, maybe there are players who change weapons and armor depending on combat (thus using weapons tab more often than potions tab)? Still, "last used" would satisfy us both I think.

Can I have the option to switch back to the old UI (before patch 1.2). I really don't like the new UI and it feels heavier on the specs too. It really was a step back from the original UI.

Give an option to quickly change potions from inventory, it's pain opening up an inventory when you need specific potion ex: black blood
than closing and opening it up again to select the potion you used to always carry after you drink the specific potion , if you can't do that at least give an option to consume potions directly from the inventory.

You can consume potions directly from inventory, Ps4 its square button..

Those who still needs a better UI for the game should try "Friendly HUD" mod. It's highly customizable. After you play with it, you won't be able to play without it.
The link is here.
CDPR should hire the author to design interfaces for them.

I know they probably won't make new patches but I need to make some suggestions(I'm playing on PS4, stuck with it, my PC sucks) regardless. I want more sorting options for the quest menu. I like reading completed quests and it's a pain to find them when I've complete them. Finally understood they're sorted by location but just having tabs for like "novigrad" , toussaint, skellige and so on and sort them by when they are complete(the latest quest completed being the first one shown). Sorting by lvl and...can't think of anything more. Cd project red are super smart so they can prolly think of more ways to make it more streamlined.

Finding certain potions, decoctions and oils is still pretty messy in the inventory. Tabs. I want more tabs. Also improve performance(prettty please..) when going through items there cause it's soooo sluggish on the PS4.

Id like to be able to favorite certain items, quests, stuff and have that as a sorting option "sort by favorites" so I can see them first in the inventory(or only showing favorited items and excluding the others from being viewable would work too).

when transferring from inventory and from the stash I'd like to be able to mark all the items first(cross-icon, something like that) and then by pushing one button I can transfer dozens of crap by pressing one button instead of waiting forever by the sluggishness and transfer item one by one(even if the transfer of all those items takes forever, i can take a shower or do some chores while the game does that). Also finding items in the stash, must be some better way rather than just scrolling through them all..

Some sorting options when dealing with merchants? Please..
option to "sell junk" and sell all shit at once. Oh yeah, I'd like to be able to mark all the items I want to sell or buy and as with the stash, press one button, and I'm done. Instead of doing item by item..
a buyback regret-option would be nice cause sometimes I accidentally sell a thing, and if I want that thing again it costs a fortune. I usually just let it be...

tabs on the character bios-page...there are soooo god damn many characters there now and it takes time(all those seconds add up into minutes, hours, in the long term, I'd like to spend that little precious game time I have as efficiently as humanly possible. Sorting options there maybe, sort by "last updated" or just having tabs for each letter would at lease then nice. That and "last updated" so I can read the last entry as quickly as possible.

and the same with books and notes and such, when I scroll through them in the book-menu and if they're new they get unmarked as unread even though I'm just scrolling through to find a certain one. I don't understand how they're sorted at all and then I don't know which I've read until I've read them a bit...time-wasting..
some sorting options there too, tabs..tabs tabs.. lol. I'd like to mark "unread","read" and to be able to sort them that way.
sort them by "latest book acquired" and sorting by quest-relation(maybe a bit too much asked, maybe three last quests, sorting to them). I'm a bit OCD about checking off lists and stuff like that..

also bestiary, there's not as much stuff there but it would be nice to be able to have a tab like "last entry" or some sorting option like that.

Sounds like I'm being naggy but I love this game, second playthrough and in total I think it's 400-600h at least both playthrough. And I'm planning a third after I'm done with this one, but I have to take a bit of vacation from this game...and get through my stack of shame-backlog of games lol.

man wish I had a good PC...I'd def want to learn how to mod....I'd like to make all of these improvements myself..

thanks for for a great game :).

Quest interface was a mess in TW3. Stopped coming back and reading completed quests logs in mid game. Just felt like I am wasting my time. Wonder why they couldn't do the same quest logs as in TW1 or TW2.

So I recently came back to do another play through of TW3 and saw that there was an option to turn of the fish eye effect. Set it to off. Went to see how it looks without it and I was surprised to see it was still on. Confused, I went back to the settings and then I notice the spelling of the option "Turn off Witcher Senses 'fish-eye' effect". There is some reverse grammar going on there as in if it's ON then the effect is OFF and vice versa. It's not a big deal because one way or another you still get the desired outcome. But I would still make the suggestion that this option be renamed to "Witcher Senses 'fish-eye effect'" with the options ON or OFF. This would eliminate the confusion and it would not be a big change programmatically speaking. I would venture a guess as to how this ended up this way. Initially this was not a feature and when it became one it came in the form of a method that removes the fish eye effect. And what the user is currently selecting is the flag (true or false) that determines if that method is used or not. Turning this around so that the confusion is removed would probably be a 5 min task for a CDPR developer.

Just a thought. Great game by the way

From what I've been able to tell, many of the suggestions in this thread have already been implemented (I'm on 1.31), which I find awesome. There are however some things that would make my life (maybe for others too) easier, and the game in general much more enjoyable:

1. Maintain my sort order in my inventory I arrange of oils, potions, and bombs (very especially oils). Each time I load the game, or restore a previous save, the sort order I setup has changed again, and I have to reorder everything again, so that I can quickly find the oil or potion I want to use. It would be so nice if my sort order stayed permanently.

2. It would be very useful if a merchant or alchemist or whatever, would show how many of an item they are selling which I already have. For example, on the merchant's side (right) of the UI each square has the number of a specific item the merchant is offering (currently in the lower-right corner), if in the upper-left corner the number of that item I have in my inventory were shown, it would make it much easier for me to decide where I wish to purchase that item from the merchant, without having to go through my inventory, which can take a lot of time.

3. When on the crafting page, when selecting equipment to craft, let me select an item and use <Left-Shift> to compare it to the same type of item I am carrying. This would make it much easier to decide if I actually wish to craft that item. Edit: Strike this, the (+/-) is already shown on the Sword/Armor in the UI.

4. Sort the weapons, armor, etc., first by their Damage or Armor value (in Crafting and at merchants), and then by their level. I don't care what level a sword is, as long as I can wield it, and it's better than the one I'm already carrying.

It would be really nice to have these implemented :)

Edit: Underlined text was updated.

Last edited:
I wish to suggest that all of the cut-scenes when purchasing items be removed and allow for conversations through the dialog system. Use cut scenes strictly for quests. That way it's 100 times faster to sell/purchase items.
I also wish to suggest that merchants be immediately accessible through outdoor stalls and only enter into buildings and go up stairs if that actually adds to game play - chasing a thief through stores, homes and the like. :))

Cogsbueno;n1966643 said:
For console users, I'd love the option to swap the Game and Pause menu buttons, so they are more like Witcher 2. Really, I think MS bonked on this one with their new controller, but I've gotten so used to Start for pause, save, load, etc. and Select for Inventory, Map, etc. I'm still finding myself navigating to the wrong menu out of habit.

Thank you to everyone at CDPR for this phenomenal game, and for truly listening to your community. I wish some AAA publishers had the same respect for their fans that you guys do.

+1 to this. Please consider everyone's muscle memory.

I agree that consoles should be given the opportunity to remap their controls. PC can do that, why not consoles? It's frustrating how something that seems simple is left out by devs. I remember NFS Payback and the throttle was on R2. As an old Gran Turismo player, I'm more comfortable pressing down on the X button with my thumb, than having to use the muscles of my forearm to hold on to the R2 button and uae my middle finger for extended periods of time. They didn't allow remaping the controls, so I just didn't play it. Too bad.

Even allowing players to simply switch button usages, like switching crouch and quickattack from O to R3, or other simple remaping tools, go a long way. It also doesn't help that it can be confusing that at times, I have to use O to confirm menu choices, but use Square to also confirm some choices.

I hope this feature is added ASAP.

Last edited:
There are needed improvements to the user interface. Firstly, the game has too many torches and candles in the way of important object or people. I keep lighting candles when trying to talk to craftsmen. Also, filters are just terrible. I don't understand how there isn't a filter to arrange things by order obtained or order completed. And the HUD needs to have better adjustment settings. I was hoping to resize the HUD so that subtitles would appear larger, but I can't get it to work properly. There also should be a filter for the world map to remove icons for explorations points that have been cleared.

Top Bottom