XP and Levelling Thread

+
Sardukhar;n48045 said:
If you have an idea or mod that pertains to XP gain (or loss!) or another way to level, put it here.

The problem with XP systems in general in action games is that in old turn-based RPGs, XP served two purposes, to serve as a gate (ie, high enough level to complete an area), and to make combat less tedious.

As turn-based combat can be boring, being way over-leveled for an area, made game combat less tedious because it made combat happened quicker.
Usually in these games, combat was not the main focus to begin with.

In action games, that have only really begun implementing major XP systems on a major scale within the last decade, it does the opposite.
Being over-leveled makes the game challenge-less, something that we don't like of action games because previously, action games we precisely balanced at different difficulty levels.

In open world action games with RPG system in particular: If it's going to be open world with a lot of side quests, then enemy-upscaling should be implemented, to keep the challenge up.
I believe that all enemies should upscale, and that the point of leveling up isn't so that you can destroy lower level enemies, but that you are now are "experienced" enough to take on higher level enemies.

It would also be a lot easier to balance various difficultly levels and keep difficulty in general consistent, if developers could assume that most players would equal "X" level or above, and that enemies would therefor be "X" level or above.
When a developer has to give an enemy a specific level that does not change, say, dogs at level 10, you're asking him to make them a "fair" challenge for level 10 players, but also not too easy for level 20 players. It's impossible without enemy up-scaling.

The only way to do that is like in TW1/2, where designers could assume that in a certain area, limited to specific quests, you could only be between level X and Y, and no less or no more. But that approach doesn't work in open world games.

As for different way of leveling, mutagens, all that sort of thing, I'm not particular about it. The hardcore SPECIAL Fallout_2 stats approach works for me, the pick-you-perk style of Fallout_4 works for me.

Although I will say that the pick-you-perk style of leveling is easier to get into than stats screens with percentage points. It also makes shaping specific "classes" much easier and more defined if they have perks specific to them.

Last edited:
I have recently started a NG+ run, and because I wanted to mess about I decided to start it at lvl100 so I used console commands to give myself the XP needed for that. Because everything is scaled up to your level when you start I thought that it would make a more interesting experience, to have the entire everything open to me, rather than have sections blocked off by monsters I had little hope of killing because the number floating above their head was a bit bigger then the one above mine.

A two things, one good one bad, became obvious very quickly:

Good: being able to use all equipment and not worry about levels is great.

Bad: noone tested enemy scaling at this high level and some really weird stuff is going on.

Maybe it's because I decided to play on "Death March," but some enemies got an absurd boost to their damage and HP, and underwater combat became impossible.

Wolves and wild dogs are biggest offenders. Even though I'm wearing the Legendary Superior Feline armor set, a single lvl105 dog or wolf takes off ~75% of my HP in a single attack. I on the other hand have to hit one ~10 times to kill it. Wolves and dogs come in packs, often numbering 5 or more.
Drowners on the other hand deal less damage (~10% of my hp in a single attack) and take fewer hits (~6-8) to kill, while coming in smaller numbers.

What. The. Hell.

And as I said, underwater combat is impossible, my crossbow deals normal damage (~90 and ~500 with the Cat Eyes mutation) to enemies that have tens of thousands of HP and drowners instakill me underwater. If I want to go to a monster infested underwater area, I pretty much have to use console commands because evading enemies underwater is more luck than anything else.

Fallen Knights of the Flaming Rose are also weird one-shotting damage sponges, though bandits in other areas are ok.

I'm currently trying to find mods that address these issues but am having no luck, can anyone help me?

So you must upgrade armor. If you have 100lvl, wear grandmaster feline set, you will be damaged less. It is common that if you use an weak armor, you will get insta killed by bandits.

I have a simple suggestion: Allow more xp to be given as Gerault's level increases. Say, for every 5 levels achieved, add 50 or 100 xp for any xp given

Top Bottom