Inventory Thread

+
Inventory Thread

Ah-ha! A place to put stuff that is about A Place To Put Stuff!

Egads, clever am I.

If you have a suggestion or modification that alters how the game inventory functions, put it here. And you won't even have to scroll through six other choices first or hit ESC nineteen times to get out...

To be honest, for my taste, the inventory management could use a complete overhaul. SkyUI for Skyrim was basically perfect, except it didn't let you mark items as "junk". I play on PC, but I use a controller to pay from my couch in the other room and watch it on the TV. SkyUI was initially created to make the inventory UI better for PC, but they made it fantastic for controller as well.

There may be a mod like SkyUI that overhauls the inventory menus for Witcher 3, but I doubt it will be any time soon. However, something that would help tremendously, and there's no reason the devs couldn't put this in a patch, is add sorting options for weight and value.

I could go on and on with more suggestions, but right now I'd be so happy with sort by weight and value that I could live with the rest of it for quite some time.

Things most needed:
- More inventory tabs (potions, books/notes, etc.) and tabs for vendors
- Separate weapons (runestones) and armor (glyphs) tabs
- Mark read books and notes, transfer them to journal
- Option to sort quests by level, location relative to Geralt, etc.
- Click quests on the map to get transferred to quest log or
- Track quest objectives on map

Inventory improvements I'd like to see

I'm a regular poster on the Bethesda forums, where we have a whole series of threads devoted to discussion of The Witcher 3. This is my first post here, and I'm on my first playthrough of a Witcher game. I'm having a great time with the game and love playing it. There are some improvements I'd like to see, though, especially with the way inventory management is handled. I play on the PC so I could wait for the Witcher version of SkyUI to come out as a mod, but that wouldn't help console players out, and I'd like to see some of these improvements in the unmodded game. Thanks for reading!

First and foremost, we need more subcategories into which items can be grouped and/or filtered, especially in the "Usable Items" category, which right now is a hopelessly jumbled mess. A couple of possible ways this could be done are to have a drop-down menu that appears when you click the category and allows you to filter items (example, a menu with entries such as "Potions", "Oils", "Food and Drink", etc.; or, just break these items up into separate sections under the category, with text ribbons that separate them into the various subcategories. Either of these approaches would make the inventory screens much easier to navigate through and find things in.

Adding the ability to sort items by weight, cost, damage (for weapons), armor rating (for armor) would also be very nice.

There are so many books, notes and diaries that can be picked up and read that I think they deserve their own separate category. Also,once they've been read they need to be flagged as such so unread ones are easier to find.

Please, please, please add a few chests scattered around the world where we can store loot.

On the buy/sell screens when dealing with merchants, we need a way to cancel out of a current transaction, or a chance to take items back at sale price before finalizing the deal. Who hasn't made a mistake when selling loot, and accidentally sold something that you wanted to keep? Unless I'm missing it, the only way to correct this kind of mistake is to buy the item back at full retail price.

something like that for meditation

or as in W2

Inventory - Books - scrolls

I think it would be helpful to have the books divided into:
books of setting game
books about monsters
books parchment-related quests (indicating which of they refer)

Also, when you talk to a seller, it would be helpful to have the evidence of the books already read or in our possession

I'd like:

My inventory, stuff I am equipped with, or have on me since I picked it up and am still carrying it around.
Roach's inventory, stuff she is equipped with, or is in the saddle bags, plus me and all I carry when riding.
A few selected inventory points. Each with their unique set of inventory items, not a unified pile.

My inventory limited to less than 60kg ~ probably quite a bit less for full actions with no penalties. Can carry 60kg with reduction in stamina and speed. Can carry upto *say* 90kg at most. (Some scope for testing and balancing perhaps).

Roach, limited to a total weight. My equipment, hers and her luggage. Cannot gallop if over her nominal weight, will *automatically* panic if mounted while over a higher threshold, cannot be loaded more than this same maximum value *at all*.

Storage. One of the quest rewards offered by certain quest-givers, especially if *money* or valuable goods don't seem appropriate. Limited in size & weight. "A corner", "A Shelf" or "A chest"... not a whole village. Sufficient to store one complete armour/3 weapons/few days of food is probably about right.

Weights of crafting items and consumables much higher. Rather than 10g, 100g or 1kg (depending on type of material, *or* crafting recipies need 10-100 items, rather than 2-3. (Generally, I prefer increasing the weight of ingots/water/food).

The current implementation encourages either working lean, with strictly less than 160kg total - less in the mid-early game, or going to town with the looting. There is no additional penalty for carrying 260kg than there is for 161kg (except it is harder to offload 100kg of weapons/armour/furs/weapon & armour repair tools than it is to lose 1kg), and Roach has an amazing unfazedness at being asked to hump around 260kg of junk, plus Geralt, and still win races... plus the 'near zero weight' for all crafting ingredients/food/alcohol means Geralt strips the country bare behind him... less temptation when it has negligible value for it's weight.

I also vote for adding these two functions:
1 - Mark read books and notes, transfer them to journal
2 - When you talk to a seller, it would be helpful to have the evidence of the books already read or in our possession
These are most needed. Because my inventory is overwhelmed by the books.

I also vote for adding these two functions:
1 - Mark read books and notes, transfer them to journal
2 - When you talk to a seller, it would be helpful to have the evidence of the books already read or in our possession
These are most needed. Because my inventory is overwhelmed by the books.

Agreed, the sheer amount of reading material in the game makes is necessary to better organize books and notes.

Inventory should be organize nicely & meaningfully as lots of decisions are depends on it like... What to sell / dismantle / drop. Which item is more valuable / useful. etc. so please do considered further suggestions...

1] More Tabs are good as par suggested earlier in this thread but I want to suggest one more thing which is Accordion [ open / close tabs ] Under Main Tab like...

1st Main Tab Weapons [ then open close tabs in it ]
Steel Swords - +
Silver Swords - +
Crossbows & Bolts - +
Secondary Weapons - +

2nd Main Tab Useful Items [ then open close tabs in it ]
Witcher Potions - +
Weapon Oils - +
Rune Stones - +
Bombs - +
Other [ Repairs n All ] - +

If sorting by type is possible then i think above idea is not necessary so either add sort by Type or add Categories inside Main Tab by separating them by its type.

PS : Sorting by type is more better then above thing as crafting is having so many things & each category not having so many items.

2] Currently there are few categories [ Tabs ] only so add few option in Sort with drop down list like...

SORT
[ Drop Down List ]
Type [ Going to sort items by type like all steels swords together, All dusts Together, All Ingot Together & Its going to be sort on A to Z name Basis ]
Value [ More Valuable Item to Least Valuable Item same A to Z ]
User [ Most Important Let us sort our inventory. ]

Thanks I hope to see Sort by user soon as for me its very important & going to solve many other problems in Inventory :)

Attachments

• InventorySugg.jpg
    InventorySugg.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 128
There are a lot of things I'd like to see... There are changes I really need but the one that sticks out is a "buy back" button. When dealing with merchants no sale has been finalised until I've said "farewell" and closed dialogue with him/her. While the "buy/sell" UI is open we are negotiating and if the Merchant takes something other than what I meant to sell I want it back at no loss to either party. Why this was never included is a total mystery to me. As it is I have sold items mistakenly and the second issue cropped up. IF a merchant can buy a certain item from you then I want to see that item in his inventory because often sold items simply cease to exist. I don't know what I've sold and I can't get it back even at an exorbitant price.

The other issue that is merely annoying is the fact that I can't find anything. "Read the letter" says the quest. Is it in quest items? At the top or at the bottom? Is it is in the 'usable' section? At the top, just before the bombs or at the bottom... Oh well, read EVERYTHING again and I'm sure to get it. Did they run out of time when designing inventory? Thank God for the weight mod I am using because otherwise I just couldn't keep the stuff that I think I MIGHT need. What a disaster.

My rambling about the weight system...

In my honest opinion, the inventory system breaks this game in a big way. You might ask "What!? How can something as insignificant as inventory break the game?" I shall tell you.
The inventory/weight system does not break the game in the sense that it blocks progression, rather it ruins two key components of any good RPG: immersion and flow.

You see, with how frequentluy I have to return to Novigrad to sell loot the game becomes repetitive. And every time I return there (which must be around once per hour) it chips away at the novelty of Novigrad. No longer do I see it as this vast, corrupt port-city rife with opportunities for an itinerant monster slayer, instead it has become a pain in the !@#. Fast Travel in, talk to Hatorri and the other two blacksmiths, and fast travel back out. Rinse and repeat every hour.

The solution to this is simple: increase storage weight or add in more saddle bags. The best solution, of course, is adding in more saddle bags with bigger weight limits. That way inventory is still a limitation and you have to spend gold to buy new bags. Plus, it's optional: if you're not a hoarder you don't have to use it.

To give you an example of how bad of a problem this is. My Geralt is level 30 right now and I just sold all my stuff I didn't need. I have the Zerrikinian Saddle Bags (best saddle bags in the game) and my maximum inventory weight is 160. After selling all my loot (swords, armor, and junk) my inventory weight was 130. After selling all my books, repair kits, and spare runes my inventory weight was 93. And I have the "Zero Weight Mod" that makes all crafting materials weigh 0.01 grams. That's how insanely restrictive the weight limit is in this game.

You place all this insignificant stuff in the world we can pick up for the sake of "world building," but we don't have enough inventory weight to hoard it. And that really limits my enjoyment of the game. Spending 10 minutes every hour selling loot really impacts my enjoyment because it interupts the flow of quests and sense of immersion. This isn't a "looting RPG" like Diablo or Monster Hunter. We shouldn't have to return to town every hour to sell loot.

---------- Updated at 10:18 AM ----------

Agreed, the sheer amount of reading material in the game makes is necessary to better organize books and notes.
Ditto. I decided to skip reading stuff at one point for that exact reason.

Last edited:
I wish there's a different sort option for items, such as sort by damage, sort by type... etc etc...
Also. please fix the mutagen bug in the next patch... otherwise I have to drop mutagens every time and loot again...

Nice thread! Some really cool suggestions in there. I just hope CD Project Red take a look in it ant writes down some notes...
What I personally missing in inventory:
- Hide/remove for outdated schematics. There are LOTS of them, and MANY is as outdated as dinosaurs... Why not adding option to remove them altogether?
- Automatically collapse irrelevant group when opening blacksmith/armorer craft menu. It's plain stupid to show entire looooong armor list with "Wrong type of master".
- Also, crafting menu should have one additional mega filter - "Items I can use which is better that my current item".
- Opening journal should show my current quest, not that "Main quests" tab.
- There sould be button to open most used inventory tab with single key (which is consumables). However, this is achievable through Razer Synapse, for example.- Show how many item of this type do I have in my inventory when browsing through merchant inventory.
- Sorting by weight/value would be nice.

I totally agree that Inventory UI could have a MAJOR overhaul... Surprisingly it doesn't match the quality of game itself...

Wow. Seems like everyone wants the same thing.

All I want is more potion slots.

Actually, a mod to convert the potion system into Witcher 2's system would be awesome. I loved having to strategically plan what I was doing based on what I thought might be up ahead according to clues from the game. Also, auto-refilling potions with only the alcohol. It's nice, but I feel like an idiot for collecting all those plants when I first started the game (because who actually reads how games work - we just jump in and figure it out, right?).

A lot of great suggestions above. My personal desires would be:

- Splitting books/letters/maps/papers/notes into their own tab so that all oils/bombs/potions are in one block together and you don't have to scroll over 300 books/letters to get to them.

- Having the inventory grid scale to fit the height of the screen resolution so that if you have more vertical pixels on your particular display then you will see more Inventory slots on the screen. The way it is now the bottom of the inventory is several inches of wasted black space on my 2560x1600 display, but still a lot of wasted space on 1920x1200 as well. Even at 1080p it has wasted space. I am guessing they made the inventory fixed size for the lowest common denominator instead of making it take advantage of what one's actual display has in terms of pixel real estate. I'd definitely like this optimized to the screen resolution, ditto with shops.

- Having a user togglable read/unread flag for books and not some auto-read thing. Sometimes I pick up books/letters and actually look at them to realize it is something I don't feel like reading in its entirety immediately. I'd like to be able to flag this back as "unread" for later with some visual indicator that requires me to manually click on something to re-mark it as read and not just by accidentally hovering the mouse over or through it as the little asterisk thing works right now. In other words, asterisk means "new item you haven't noticed yet", pass the mouse over it and it now registers you've well.. passed the mouse over it, not that you read it or looked or even noticed it or anything, you just passed the mouse over it and the asterisk is now cleared. A separate "I have read/looked at this and want to make a concrete explicit indication of this to MYSELF not to the game engine" flag, which is freely toggled back and forth 1000 times if desired, would be greatly appreciated. If the game wants to track some concept of "read/unread" for itself internally for quest completion or something that's fine but just because a user has clicked on something and the engine registers it for a quest or whatever doesn't mean the person actually read it. As it is right now, I have to keep a text file open on a secondary monitor and type out the names of books/letters/etc. that I have actually read fully with my eyes, not just clicked on or passed the mouse over, and then every book I pick up I have to check my list to see if I've already seen and read that book or not. Not the best user interface, although it's better than Skyrim's for sure. :)

- Ability to sort items in inventory by weight, by price (buy or sell as appropriate)

- For CDPR to make up their minds consistently about what is and is not a quest item, and to consistently put all quest items in one single place. As it is right now some quest items show up in the "quest" inventory tab, others in other tabs inconsistently. Also, some quest oriented books show up in the quest tab while others show up in the regular inventory tab for no apparent reason other than being inconsistent.

- Ability to either sell or drop some quest items once the quest(s) they are used in are completed and the item serves no further purpose in the game, or have the game just auto-remove items that no longer serve a purpose in order to reduce clutter, or have it move them from the quest tab to the "junk" tab and unlock them so they can be sold/dropped. Items like the green ghost lantern which still has a use after the initial quest you obtain it for would still remain in the inventory because they're still either needed for other quests, or it is still useful. Soon as something is NOT useful though, shitcan it or remove the "quest lock" on it. Being forced to cart around undroppable old no longer useful quest items just weighs down Geralt permanently for no good reason. I'm currently more or less stuck perma-overburdened at this point because I can't drop shit I don't want anymore and I have shit I do want that puts me over limit.

- When you sell stuff to a vendor, the game puts the sold items into the vendor's inventory in a seemingly random manner where it could show up 2 pages down in his inventory with a huge empty block in the middle. Why? Cram just-sold items to the very next slot in the vendor's inventory so they're immediately visible and not 3 pages down. If it is done the way it is for sorting reasons, simply sort the vendor's inventory however is fit immediately after each sale, shuffling items around in sort order if need be. Having a huge gap in inventory just looks ugly and there is no "press F to tighten up empty space" button for the vendor side inventory like there is for the Geralt side.

Top Bottom