Roach's mane glitch (post patch 1.31)

+
Roach's mane glitch (post patch 1.31)

Roach is missing half her mane when equipped with a normal saddle or no saddle at all. I have figured out exactly what causes it to occur though I cannot explain why it happens.

If you equip any saddle on Roach which covers her mane with armor you will trigger the glitch to occur. The Undvik saddle DLC which can be purchased in Skellige is what caused it for me so we'll use it as the example though it seems any other saddle with neck armor such as those found in Blood and Wine also causes it. After you equip the saddle, as soon as you fast travel to another region with that saddle on, Roach's mane will be permanently glitched in that region when equipping "normal" saddles which do not cover her neck.

I tested this by going to White Orchard which was the only area that wasn't affected by the glitch. When traveling there with Ofieri, Roach had her mane. When re-summoning her causing her to respawn she still had it. Saving and reloading, she still had it. However, when traveling to White Orchard with Undvik saddle equipped, Roach's mane became bugged in this region as well. Respawning Roach through calling her or killing her in water without Undvik equipped revealed her mane to be gone just like everywhere else. However, reloading a save prior to traveling to White Orchard with Undvik reset the game to the state before the glitch and Roach's mane works properly in that region - so long as no saddle that causes the glitch is equipped there.

I have tried everything that anyone can think of and still have yet to come up with a permanent solution in game. The only fix for it is temporary. The temporary solution is to equip a neck armor saddle and then unequip it which will cause Roach's mane to reappear only until she get's respawned which will reset the glitch again.

So after already having posted about this on the Xbox section a few days ago I have done further testing. I know it applies to all platforms and it needs to be fixed because console players have no ability to patch their own games such are one of the many luxuries of PC. I hope that by listing all of my discoveries as to the nature of this illusive bug, maybe CDPR will patch it once and for all though my fingers are not crossed as it seems 1.31 may have bee their last :/

Oh and to anyone who may wonder why I seem to be so obsessed with this glitch... It's because after noticing it, I simply cannot ignore it and it happens EVERY time I spawn Roach. In a game as huge as this, you and Roach will be spending a lot of time together. There are beautiful and elaborate sets of equipment that can be equipped on Roach for a reason but part of the entire aesthetic of these sets is lost to this ugly glitch. Imagine if part of Geralt's armor was just gone. Not cool. Another reason why I am so obsessed with them patching it is because I know how long it's been around and how many times they have tried to fix it. It needs to be dealt with once and for all.

Last edited:
iCake;n7480290 said:
I strongly encourage you to submit a support ticket. The devs rarely take a peak here, even though it's the official forum of CDPR. You... we'll have a better chance to be heard that way.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/

Hey, I know you XD Yea, I was thinking of doing that. I find it incredible that developers don't have just one employee who's job it is to check the official support forums once a day for fresh posts and bug reports. Even this long after launch. It seems like it would be pretty simple because there aren't many bug reports being posted here.

I'll probably submit something later once I go back to play and get annoyed after constantly changing Roach's saddle. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if the inventory UI didn't get as slow as it does once you get a bunch of crap in your inventory.

Alas, I have a feeling there won't be any more patches. Would love to go start anew on my PC copy (after fixing the PC) but I already have over 200 hours invested on this playthrough plus have plans for ng+ after the DLCs. I won't let it all be for naught!

This is the one bug that continues to plague me to this day. For me, it seems like it's been limited to cutscenes mostly. I know there was a LOT of work done to try to fix this, but sometimes...sometimes the software is stronger. I've tried all sorts of things to fix it or see if I can make it happen reliably, but I've come up with nothing. It's a really random bug. (I mostly just refuse to see now. :p My horse does have hair. My horse does have hair. My horse does have hair.)

I've just started a New Game and don't want to encounter this bug, it happened on my previous save.

So it's safe to say the only reason this bug occurs is if we equip roach with a saddle which covers her neck, these are the saddles I can think of:

Nilfgaardian saddle
Undvik saddle
Oferi saddle?
Various Blood & Wine saddles

So here's what I'm gonna do, not equip any of these

Unfortunately, if the bug bites your game, this may be the only fix. You may also want to try the old inventory --> saddle switch --> inventory --> saddle switch again thing. That works for some people. I'm guessing it just clears the saddle data out of memory or something.

The horse is one of the most attractive part of the game and they screwed it up and won't fix it. This is too much. Have lost the whole impression to play it now.

Okay, I just found a permanent fix for this glitch. You really only have a few opportunities to use this fix. I first noticed it when I traveled to Skellige and realized that Roach had hair again(after having used the Nilfgaardian saddle and then switching to a better saddle). So of course, I tested it out and whistled for Roach, and when she came back she still had hair. I fast traveled back to Velen and found the same thing. Now I'm hoping that this wasn't just a one time coincidence and that it actually will repeat itself. In another save I'll try to test it to see if it works when travelling to Toussaint as well, but in hopeful conclusion: the cut-scene transitions when travelling between lands will finally give Roach her hair again.

Top Bottom