Game hangs when switching signs.

+
Game hangs when switching signs.

Anybody get that bug where you switch sign so fast that the damn game freezes on you :/

So annoying...

We'll need a little more info to offer any assistance:

1.) What platform are you playing on?

2.) If on PC, are you using any mods, or have you ever used any?

3.) Again, if on PC, what are your system specs, including Windows version? Please, make special note if using Windows Creator's Update.

4.) Can you explain the steps you take leading up to the hang?

SigilFey;n9192251 said:
We'll need a little more info to offer any assistance:

1.) What platform are you playing on?

2.) If on PC, are you using any mods, or have you ever used any?

3.) Again, if on PC, what are your system specs, including Windows version? Please, make special note if using Windows Creator's Update.

4.) Can you explain the steps you take leading up to the hang?

1) PC

2) A couple mods but nothing to change the game, just Yen eyes, Ciri eyes, Triss eyes & hair to fit the lore better

3) System specs... errr

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 144Hz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise

4) Mid battle vs say... 6 nekkers or whatever, slam on Quen, quickly tab and change to Aard and close the signs circle thingy, game freezes. So Tab, Move mouse right, let go of tab, all within like half a second and the game just freezes.

(Edit... no idea why I said hangs? lol... I meant crash, freeze etc. Wtf even is a "hang" lol?)

Mrwhitey998;n9194501 said:
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 144Hz

Try switching your monitor Refresh Rate to 60 Hz. The game does does not cope well with >60 FPS. See if this prevents it. (The game wants to run at 30 FPS. It will cooperate with 60 FPS. Exceeding 60 FPS will almost guarantee issues.)

Be sure Vsync is ON and Frame Limit is 60 FPS or LESS.

(A "hang" is the program running but becoming "stuck" on a particular frame / function. It does not "crash" [successfully exiting to Windows], but rather seizes and prevents any further input via the .EXE, requiring a forcible exit [i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL]).

SigilFey;n9194711 said:
Try switching your monitor Refresh Rate to 60 Hz. The game does does not cope well with >60 FPS. See if this prevents it. (The game wants to run at 30 FPS. It will cooperate with 60 FPS. Exceeding 60 FPS will almost guarantee issues.)

Be sure Vsync is ON and Frame Limit is 60 FPS or LESS.

(A "hang" is the program running but becoming "stuck" on a particular frame / function. It does not "crash" [successfully exiting to Windows], but rather seizes and prevents any further input via the .EXE, requiring a forcible exit [i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL]).

Was my title edited to hang then? I knew I never said it lol

Well I stick to 144hz for CSGO because it takes the piss switching between them and it's not noticeable any problems, unlike Skyrim lol, physics engine just fails above 60hz on that.

Also I've tried with both 60fps and Unlimited on, always causes the error, it's rare tho, you have to really switch quick. You try it?

Mrwhitey998;n9197361 said:
Was my title edited to hang then? I knew I never said it lol

I edited the title for clarity -- forgot to mention it in the post. Sorry!

Mrwhitey998;n9197361 said:
Well I stick to 144hz for CSGO because it takes the piss switching between them and it's not noticeable any problems, unlike Skyrim lol, physics engine just fails above 60hz on that.
Also I've tried with both 60fps and Unlimited on, always causes the error, it's rare tho, you have to really switch quick. You try it?

Various games will require various settings, and that will likely always be the case. Consoles do not have to worry about it, since the games are specifically built around the exact parameters of the console's hardware and OS. If we're gaming on PC, we have to take the time to set our systems up for each title. Just the nature of the beast. You should be able to switch between Refresh Rates in a matter of seconds through your GPU's Control Panel.

As for CS:GO, that would definitely be a game that would benefit from blazingly fast FPS. For complex RPGs, where the game needs to sync a great many things simultaneously, FPS will often be necessarily limited to avoid issues. Frame-timing is vitally important for games like The Witcher, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dark Souls, etc. If your FPS get too high, the game falls out of sync and problems arise.

In order to avoid issues with TW3, ensure Vsync is ON (necessary to avoid dropped frames), Refresh Rate must be 60 Hz or LESS (PhysX calculations require this), and you should set your Frame Limit to 60 or LESS (also to avoid dropped frames). Personally, because of FPS jitters and fluctuations, I've presently got the game running at a locked 48 FPS, and it has never moved. Rock solid performance throughout the game. You can give that a try as well, as it should leave plenty of performance overhead (which is a very good thing for RPGs and Simulations).

I did see if I could recreate it last night, but it's not happening on my end. Couldn't get it to lock up using either the keyboard or the gamepad. I even tried firing off multiple different signs in rapid succession using a Blizzard potion. A lot of Nekkers were killed during the test, but everything worked well here.

SigilFey;n9197741 said:
I edited the title for clarity -- forgot to mention it in the post. Sorry!

Various games will require various settings, and that will likely always be the case. Consoles do not have to worry about it, since the games are specifically built around the exact parameters of the console's hardware and OS. If we're gaming on PC, we have to take the time to set our systems up for each title. Just the nature of the beast. You should be able to switch between Refresh Rates in a matter of seconds through your GPU's Control Panel.

As for CS:GO, that would definitely be a game that would benefit from blazingly fast FPS. For complex RPGs, where the game needs to sync a great many things simultaneously, FPS will often be necessarily limited to avoid issues. Frame-timing is vitally important for games like The Witcher, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dark Souls, etc. If your FPS get too high, the game falls out of sync and problems arise.

In order to avoid issues with TW3, ensure Vsync is ON (necessary to avoid dropped frames), Refresh Rate must be 60 Hz or LESS (PhysX calculations require this), and you should set your Frame Limit to 60 or LESS (also to avoid dropped frames). Personally, because of FPS jitters and fluctuations, I've presently got the game running at a locked 48 FPS, and it has never moved. Rock solid performance throughout the game. You can give that a try as well, as it should leave plenty of performance overhead (which is a very good thing for RPGs and Simulations).

I did see if I could recreate it last night, but it's not happening on my end. Couldn't get it to lock up using either the keyboard or the gamepad. I even tried firing off multiple different signs in rapid succession using a Blizzard potion. A lot of Nekkers were killed during the test, but everything worked well here.

Hmmm, well the weird thing is, every time I load Witcher 3 the settings default to like mid/high. So everytime I have to change to ultra, which makes no sense as I get over 60fps steady with ultra lol. I'll keep it locked to 60fps then, no point changing to unlimited.

However, I think if you go between 2 signs ultra fast and immediately use them, it will happen. If it happens for me again i'll make sure to SS or even Video it for you.

Mrwhitey998;n9199631 said:
Hmmm, well the weird thing is, every time I load Witcher 3 the settings default to like mid/high.

Be sure that you do not have your user.settings file set to "Read only". If so, it will prevent the game from saving any changes to the file.

Another possibility, especially under Windows 10, is that the ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... directory is protected. Set the folder's permissions to "Everyone".

Go to the installation directory of the game itself, and ensure that witcher3.exe is set to "Run as administrator".

The same problem,
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10

If you switch the signs in tab menu too fast, the game freezes, but you still able to open tab, open inventory and so on. Musik is playing, but the models do not move, but you are able to rotate the camera. Tried all you proposed above. The bug is still there. Do you have some updates?

Other than contacting cdpr support and asking them, there’s probably not much else you can do:

Then again, could of course experiment with different Gpu driver versions, or close every none essential background application, disable overlay features of programs like steam and see if that does anything,

Overclocking and stuff like g-sync can sometimes also cause freezes (on some computers it's best to not have these things enabled).

Top Bottom