SOLVED Occasional microstuttering on "loading"

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Occasional microstuttering on "loading"

Hey all!

I occasionaly experience split-second microstutters when playing. They seem to only occur when I enter/leave "zones" (from Crow's Perch to Blackbough for instance).
I have tried switching to 60Hz, 60 fps limit and V-sync on/off. It happens nonetheless.
They are pretty hard to notice since they happen rarely, and only last for a fraction of a second.

Still I feel that there is something "wrong" with my game/system.

Are anyone else experiencing these occasional microstutters?

i7 6700k (non-oc)
16GB RAM
GTX 1080 Strix
Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD
Windows 10

It is also worth mentioning that I've tried almost all the different tweaks that can be found online, ranging from Nvidia control panel tweaks to chaning the .ini files.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums, Floads!

Let us start with the basic steps. I know you've identified you've fiddled with some of this stuff already, but simply set everything as indicated below as a starting point:

0.) Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

1.) Try turning Vsync = On. Several game functions are tied to accurate frame-timing, and running with unlimited FPS can introduce odd issues. Also set Frames to render ahead = 1 under Nvidia Control Panel.

2.) Be sure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). These are protected directories in Windows and it can introduce issues, even using standard Administrator accounts. Best bet is to install all games to the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation, i.e. C:\The Witcher 3\... or C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3\... (If using Steam, you can simply follow these steps for moving an existing Steam installation. You'll likely have to verify each of your games once after doing this.)

3.) Add the game to the exceptions list for your anti-virus, firewall, etc.

4.) Set the game's .EXE to "Run as administrator". If using Windows 10, be sure that the Permissions for the game's folder and the ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder are set to "Everyone".

5.) Try manually editing user.settings and changing FPSLimit=48. I use this on a 980 ti and experience flawless performance. Framerate never budges; not even the slightest hitching. Also try 50, 52, 54 and 58. One of those is usually a sweet-spot if straight 60 doesn't cooperate.

Let us know how that goes!

Thanks!

I've tried both with and without mods, but I still experience the stuttering when the game is clean and unedited.

Running with Vsync on. My game is not installed on the same partion as the operative system/program files.

The game is allowed in my firewall, and I'm using Windows Defender (didn't find any way to allow it there).

I haven't tried to lower the fps that much, as it hurts my eyes.

I did read that someone else has these "loading" stutters where the game stutters one frame when loading new objects (in villages, crowded places etc.) Could it be that it is the game engine that causes this?

Edit: I found the Windows Defender exclusion function. Still getting stutters. The interesting part is that they occur at the same places.

Edit 2: Here is a video of the stuttering. Occuring at 0:28 and 0:55 (always happen in these spots)

Edit 3: After some further testing, I can conclude the following:

The stutters occur at the same places every time (Riding towards Crow's Perch from Blackbough for instance). They seem to occur when i "cross" zones, as they do not happen when roaming the wilderness. Although I'm not 100% sure if this is the case.

They do not seem to be linked with fps/frame timing, since they happen on 60/100/120/144Hz and 30, 60 and unlimited fps.
Vsync on/off makes no difference either. Same goes for changing graphic settings. Ultra or low - They have no impact.

It does not matter if the game is modded or not, as I have managed to reproduce them on a "clean" game.

I've read something about "loading/streaming portals", where the game engine loads new data to be streamed. Could this be the case?

Has anyone noticed stutters like the ones i linked in the video?

Last edited:
Floads;n10382932 said:
Has anyone noticed stutters like the ones i linked in the video?

Can't get to the video at the moment, but you're describing the very well-known microstutter / occasional hitching that occurs for exactly the reasons you identify. The game must stream assets in regularly, and larger or key areas will be set to load larger chunks. This is part of the engine, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done do "correct" it; it's working as designed.

Why some people hitch and stutter is a result of the engine + GPU + motherboard + driver version + system config + RAM latency + file system + 3rd party programs + Windows version + etc. + vice versa + amen + free pizza. The only effectual "solution" will need to be found by you getting to know your unique system in the end. I can offer advice or guidance as to a starting point, but eventually you'll have to fine-tune everything to your system and liking. Here's a bit more detail about my own journey:

Played the v1.0 - v1.03 on an old ASUS RoG laptop with some pretty serious power. Lag, hitching, FPS dips into single digits, the works. Unplayable in certain areas, no matter what I did. I built my present rig later than year (i7-4790K, GTX 980 ti, 16 GB G.SKill Ripjaws RAM, Samsung EVO SSD), and I still had hitching and chopping on that system. Took probably 2 weeks to tweak everything for smooth play, and I tested it on the laptop as well, just to see if it was effective both ways. It was. Hoorays! I was also able to apply the same tweaks to my nephew's system and it worked there as well.

So, frame-timing is the most critical aspect of getting rid of the hitching. Then, the v1.2x updates did something to the engine that basically eradicated almost all of the pop-in (characters or sometimes entire buildings appearing out of thin air a few feet in front of you). However, while I used to run at 50-60 FPS problem-free, whatever was done seriously impacted overall FPS, and I started getting pretty significant FPS dips, seemingly at random. So I tweaked for a few hours while playing, and discovered that all the game needed was more overhead. The 48 FPS limit was the sweet spot for my rig. (The game truly wants to run at 30. It will cooperate with 60, but it can develop an attitude at times. I prefer to just have consistent performance, but that's me.) At 48, I had absolutely, rock-steady performance.

Unfortunately, I get that some people find FPS that low to be very uncomfortable. I personally believe that it's mostly psychological (TV only runs at 24 FPS, for example, and many console titles still run at 30...and there seems to be no lack of players). Granted, if I'm playing other games at a smooth 60, then I go back to TW3...initially, it's, like... "Um...ew." But 15-20 minutes later, everything feels perfectly smooth. Just need to give the brain time to adjust.

The only other alternatives are to deal with the stutter or continue tweaking away until you find a different solution for your rig. There is no, "one-off fix" that works for everyone (for any game).

Last edited:
Thank you again for replying! :)

I am gonna guess that I'm having the common "asset streaming" stuttering then, because I find it really hard to believe that the occasional stuttering is due to frame timings. I see that there are others with the same issue :) Guess you gotta look after it to notice.

Marking as solved. Cheers!

Just fiddle away with vsync on, and you'll find something that works. Also, try rolling back drivers to versions released around January of 2017 (last year), newer ones will be optimized for present games, not older ones.

May you slay many foes in face!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom