SOLVED Unable to manual or quick save.

+
Unable to manual or quick save.

Greetings,

I am seeking assistance with my new gained inability to save my game, manual or otherwise.

I was playing the game with no problems only a few days ago then suddenly realised I had lost all the progress from my last play session. Experimentation led me to understand that my game simply will not save any more.

Here is the situation so far:
- I have always played this on this system, it is a windows 10 set up and there were no updates or system changes in between having the ability to save and not.
- I have tried every permutation of allowing "administrator" and read/write access on executables and save folders I can think of.
- I have tried earlier saves, and still no luck.
- The game very clearly does not save, as hitting F5 merly stutters the game slightly, and no message pops up.
- I have not modded, altered or farted around with anything in the Witcher 3 folder. The closest I got was installing (and quickly un-installing) some Empire: Total War mods on the same SSD.
- I have tried wiping my local saves and allowing Steam to re-sync form their generous cloud servers.
- And yes, I have completely uninstalled/wiped and re-installed.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I have sunk 45 hrs of my time into this game and all of them have been an absolute joy. This is by far one of my favorite gaming experiences and I would hate to give it up at this point simply because I can't actually progress.

Other things i'd try

Install on another drive - if you have another SSD of HDD then try and install on that.

Start Witcher 3 using the command prompt to log scripts -
This may not give you anything but better check anyway.

Open the command prompt, you can search for it in the start menu.
Navigate to your w3 exe folder.
Code:
cd "<[I]pathtofolder[/I]>"
For me it is this:
Code:
cd "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\bin\x64\"
Run the w3 exe like so:
Code:
witcher3.exe -net -debugscripts
That will basically log what the game is doing to this file:
...My Documents\The Witcher 3\scriptslog.txt

Try and save your game a few times and check this file (keep reloading it), you might see the issue being logged here.
You could also post the file here after trying to save.

Try to see if you can save using this save file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5mns8vssjsppzev/ManualSave_55607_7e00c800_466b3d9.zip
This is just one of mine.

Well colour me stupid.

I fixed it and it was my own damn fault.

It turns out at some point in the past few days I turned Controlled Folder Access on in my Windows Defender.

For the life of me I can't think why I would have turned that setting on, but it makes complete sense as to it denying me write access to my save folder.

Problem completely rectified and my face is a little redder than before.

Many thanks to Lim3zer0 for your input.

Top Bottom