No key bindings and no hud after W10 Redstone 4 Update

+
No key bindings and no hud after W10 Redstone 4 Update

Hello friends,

since my Windows 10 PC got the April 2018 Update for Windows 10 (Redstone 4 I guess) Witcher 3 is not working properly anymore.
In the options tab, all my key bindings are set to "keine" (German version, "none" in english). Resetting to defaults says it has been successfully resetted but stays on "none".
Ahowever, in the main menu I can perform actions, even do new bindings, but they do not persist.
When loading any of my save games and even starting a new game, I see geralt form behind as usual but I do not see any HUD elements and I cannot perform any actions. Neither keyboard nor mouse commands lead to any reaction, I need to press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] to go back to WIndows, then press "Abort" to get back to the Witcher and see the in-game menu.

I first experienced it to days ago (18th May 2018), my last game was form the 15th of May 2018. In between, my computer got the latest Windows 10 Update, as mentioned above.

System specs: Intel i5 3750K, 16 GB RAM, nVidida Geforce GTX 980

What have I tried so far?

- (of course saving my Save games)
- installed newest nVidia graphic drivers
- reinstalled the complete game (Source GOG, without Galaxy)

"Strange" thing I noticed: I tried deleting the config files. "input.settings" keeps being regenerated almost empty, only including
"
[InputSettings]
Version=-1
",
no matter what I do. New key bindings in the game do not appear there.

I even tried another keyboard on my PC (was Enermax Aurora, now a simple Cherry keyboard).

Something special about my configuration: my Documents-Folder is not in the default location (C:\Users"XXX"\) but on another drive.
I activated DirectPlay in the Windows settings.

Now I ran out of ideas what to try to solve this. I have not yet found out what has been changed during the Windows update process causing this trouble.
Side fact, maybe somehow related: my Steam is also not running anymore. Keeps telling me something about "Could not load steamUI localization file". Complete deinstall and reinstall did not help here either.

That's it so far.

Do you have any suggestions?
If I can provide further information just let me know.

Thanks a lot!
derKrischi

Sounds like the update put Windows back into "I-know-what's-best,-human!" mode. Try the suggestions above and also:

1.) Ensure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files, Program Files(x86), nor any other "protected directory" under your User Account. Move or install directly to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation in the root. So, for example, either, C:\The Witcher 3\... or ...C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3\...

2.) Set the Permissions for the ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder to "Everyone". Then, delete everything in that folder (EXCEPT the gamesaves folder -- KEEP that) and repair / verify the game through GOG.

3.) Ensure the game is added to the exceptions list of your anti-virus, firewall, etc.

If none of that works...

derkrischi;n10950860 said:
Something special about my configuration: my Documents-Folder is not in the default location (C:\Users"XXX"\) but on another drive. I activated DirectPlay in the Windows settings.

This is probably the issue. And eeew. Check to see if there's a mirror folder in what Windows would use as the "default" location. If there is...then I think the update may have restored several of your Windows configuration options to defaults, and likely trumped the Registry key that the game is using to locate the ...\Documents\The Witcher3\... folder. :( If that's the case, the simplest bet may be to manually move the saved games into the "new" folder.

The harder way to do this would be to reconfigure Windows back to recognizing the alternate Documents folder again. Trouble is, now that you've loaded the game, the game config may have already re-routed to the "new" directory. If so, I'd say the best bet is to back up the saves, completely uninstall, and manually delete all leftover files and folders. Run CCleaner to clean the Registry of the now empty keys. Reinstall the game to a new path (just ensure it's a completely different folder name than the last installation), and see where it puts the new ...Documents\The Wicther 3\... Even if it's not where you want it, using that new folder should work. (Just make sure you do the Permissions thing, like above.)

P.S. I'm still on Windows 7. :cool: That's also an option.

Top Bottom