Randomly missing textures and Geralt hair disappearing

+
Randomly missing textures and Geralt hair disappearing

I have the latest version of Witcher 3: Wild Hunt patch 1.31a. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 and so far out of all games I play, Witcher 3 has this consistent deal-breaker issue that occurs randomly after about 15 minutes of playing (sometimes sooner). Every so often it appears the ground loses textures and Geralt loses his hair:

https://image.ibb.co/jmLGi8/witcherscreen.png

I've uninstalled graphics card and game and reinstalled and started a new game multiple times but the same issue occurs randomly. I've deleted all mods and saved games.

No other games I play experience this issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know how good this card really is but you could simply try playing the game on lower settings. Maybe it's just one or two settings your card struggles with.

Of course you can always write to CDPR support and let them know about your experience:
http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Don't know if there's something that can be done here though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. GPU is stock, its a very powerful GPU. I've reinstalled the game from scratch, but this time I'm going to delete my save games as well and see if that makes a difference.

Also delete any mods. Make sure to delete the "The Witcher 3" folder. Any mods you installed will still be there, so they gotta go as well. And like you said, delete the The Witcher 3 Documents folder, which also contains your save games.

amrick;n10951034 said:
I have the GOTY edition patch 1.31. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 and so far out of all games I play, Witcher 3 has this consistent deal-breaker issue that occurs randomly after about 15 minutes of playing (sometimes sooner). Every so often it appears the ground loses textures and Geralt loses his hair:

https://image.ibb.co/jmLGi8/witcherscreen.png

I've uninstalled graphics card and reinstalled and started a new game multiple times but the same issue occurs randomly.

No other games I play experience this issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Please check your tessellation settings in radeon settings, I had something similar in a recent thread.

I don't ever recall having problems with Geralt's hair, but I've been using a HairWonks optimization mod.
Just check to make sure that you're running either "application's settings", 8x, 16x or up in both the game specific settings and global settings. Default setting for me was 64x and was too excessive, but me lowering it to 2x/4x caused problems.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I checked all those settings moonspot, and mine are the same. I've deleted all save games and all folders.
The issue is still occurring at random times in the game. Its incredibly frustrating and means I cannot play the game for a decent period of time. The only thing I'm thinking is causing the issue is the graphics card overheating. I'm pretty pissed as I paid $1200 AUD for the card, and to face these issues in unacceptable. I don't get these issues on any other game so I assume Witcher 3 is pushing it to the limits? I'm playing in 3840 x 1600 resolution, so its taxing...

amrick;n10959770 said:
The issue is still occurring at random times in the game. Its incredibly frustrating and means I cannot play the game for a decent period of time./QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. Doubt the driver 18.5.1 AMD released yesterday/today will help, but might as well give it a shot.
Are you going to try to RMA card?

hey moonspot, I'll try the new drivers and report back. at the moment I'm leaning towards RMAing the card. I even took the side panel off my case to ensure it wasn't a case heating problem.
I've also turned down some of the graphics options but the issue still occurs. first test is all max settings with new drivers. if that doesn't work, i'll lower settings with new drivers and retest

thank you all so much for your help :)

edit: something interesting happened this time. I installed all newest AMD drivers, loaded game, and also turned down settings in game. When I loaded a saved game, a cutscene started immediately and the issue was already there, the moment i loaded the saved game, so my GPU wouldn't have even had a chance to get too hot.

update: I quit the game and started it again, this time it isn't happening, and I've been playing for 10 minutes without issue.
it appears the issue is completely random which makes it 10 times harder to troubleshoot.

Update: I alt-tabbed back into the game after typing the above and the issue came back.
more screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/un7xrlr

video: https://youtu.be/i1R6IdImUuU

sorry about the watermark

Last edited:
amrick;n10960325 said:

Ugh! That's pretty horrid. I'd try picking at the brains of people on r/radeon and/or r/witcher/
There are a lot more people there, and they might have a better idea as to whats up, and you stand a good chance to find some that have seen this particular problem before. There seems to be all of 4 whole people here in these forums.

Now, it doesn't honestly look like a graphics card problem to me. Normally I'd expect to see artifacting, a techno-colour rainbow of junk sourcing from assets if it were a problem with the card, not their complete and utter absence.
For the first half a second of the video the floor was rendered and then it glitched out for the rest. I'd say your settings need attention(both driver and in game), might be something dumb like needing to be in boarder-less fullscreen. Or Radeon's driver for Vega and witcher 3 needs love(in which case you'd be SOL). Reddit will likely know if you tell them what GPU you're using.

Hell, even his hair is there before whatever the problem is shits the bed.

Last edited:
moonspot.;n10960415 said:
Ugh! That's pretty horrid. I'd try picking at the brains of people on r/radeon and/or r/witcher/
There are a lot more people there, and they might have a better idea as to whats up, and you stand a good chance to find some that have seen this particular problem before. There seems to be all of 4 whole people here in these forums.

Now, it doesn't honestly look like a graphics card problem to me. Normally I'd expect to see artifacting, a techno-colour rainbow of junk sourcing from assets if it were a problem with the card, not their complete and utter absence.
For the first half a second of the video the floor was rendered and then it glitched out for the rest. I'd say your settings need attention(both drive and in game), might be something dumb like needing to be in boarder-less fullscreen. Or Radeon's driver for Vega and witcher 3 needs love(in which case you'd be SOL). Reddit will likely know if you tell them what GPU you're using.

Hell, even his hair is there before whatever the problem is shits the bed.

LOL - guess what? I changed from Fullscreen to Exclusive Fullscreen and problem appears to be solved.
What the??

moonspot.;n10960883 said:
Nice! Hope it sticks.

Thank you once again for your help, I really appreciate it. I've played for a few hours on and off so far, and no issues whatsoever.
What exactly is the difference between exclusive fullscreen and actual fullscreen? I wonder...

Last edited:
amrick;n10962356 said:
Thank you once again for your help, I really appreciate it. I've played for a few hours on and off so far, and no issues whatsoever.
What exactly is the difference between exclusive fullscreen and actual fullscreen? I wonder...

Hm...?

Options should be "Borderless Window" and "Fullscreen". Your menu seems to want to call Borderless = "Fullscreen", and Fullscreen = "Exclusive Fullscreen". Not sure what's up. Either way, the game wants to run in "True Fullscreen", meaning: all Windows processes are suspended while the game is being played. So, Exclusive Fullscreen, in this case. I guess. Odd.

Top Bottom