Audio and Video out of sync

+
Audio and Video out of sync

This happens every time I load a cutscene. I've spent hours trying to figure this out and it's kind of ruining the immersion aspect of the game for me. Any ideas?

Specs:

Windows 10 x64
Powercolor r9 390
i5 6500
HyperX DDR4 2400 Ram
Installed on an SSD, same as the OS
1000W EVGA G1 PSU

Just tried it at 60 and 30, didn't make any difference.

Then there may be a problem with your audio drivers. Have you tried running a different game to see if it happens?

Also, verify your game cache. Personally, I would re-install the game.

I tried verifying my game cache, it didn't help.

I used delete local content in steam, reinstalled, created a new game save and it didn't make much of a difference. I'll see if there is a more complete way to uninstall the game, registry and all.

I'll try running a different game, but I'm pretty sure it's just a w3 issue not a driver issue.

Heres what the issue looks like in game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfTRVyp_T8

Edit:

My sound drivers are up to date btw.

I tried turning game settings down to the lowest possible and it didn't help in the slightest.

Edit 2: It's happening in Assassin's Creed Syndicate as well. So does that mean its my sound drivers?

Probably should mention I'm using a 144hz monitor, although I didn't think that would be an issue.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty normal. I see that from time-to-time with various characters. It is the game, as when you speak to characters (like the trader in your video) that repeat the same lines, the lines are always slightly out-of-sync in exactly the same way. That's just how the lip-sync animations and sound files are cued up for some scenes, I'm afraid. It's not that bad, really, IMO. Slightly noticeable at times, but no more so than wonky ADR in any film.

EDIT: Oops -- forgot! You may want to switch your refresh rate to 60Hz, as Havok does rely on frames being 60 or less to work correctly. It might help the cutscenes, as well, since they're also done in real-time and rely somewhat on syncing FPS for audio and animation cycles.

EDIT EDIT: Also, try the following after the above if that doesn't help:

Download RivaTuner or NVInspector. Set frame limit to 58 (not 60) or, even more generously, to 50. Set Frame Limit to Unlimited in the game's options menu, and turn Vsync off. Try running the game that way between Fullscreen and Borderless.

It doesn't work for me with TW3, but it helps a lot of others. Works wonders for me when playing DA: Inquisition or Fallout 4.

Last edited:
It's simply the way the scenes are coded/scripted, I believe. I do see the same thing. Let me know if you find a scene in which the syncing error "changes". (Meaning: the lips are out-of-sync, but in different ways each time you watch it.) That could be a sign that something is wrong.

Aside from that, it seems to be just a small imperfection with the game itself.

Also check your audio quality in your default sound device settings.

Open your Playback devices in the bottom right of your taskbar (systray), right-click your default playback device and in the Advanced tab check if the quality is set higher than 16 bits, 44100 Hz (CD quality). I often had audio syncing problems in games because I had set up too high settings here, so I have now learnt to never raise this quality again, which never doesn't make any difference in games anyway most of the time to be honest.

Please note that audio syncing problems are also very often (!!!) due to CPU overlclocking and the CPU power management settings. Try disabling any overclocking and set your CPU power management (in BIOS or overclocking software) to "standard" or "disabled" or something like that. There are games and softwares which are in fact syncing with the CPU clock (the last one I can remember is LOTR - Shadows or Mordor) and which are getting out of sync really quickly when the CPU clock is adjusted dynamically).

Erf, wonderful technology...

But maybe SigilFey is right and the "problem" is with the game itself which has small imperfections...
Still not playing the game enough to tell and without a video of your own, well, I can't tell...

Last edited:
Hi, I'm afraid I have a lip sync problem in cut scenes now that I upgraded my system and reloaded the game;

Win 10
16 GB ram
Ryzen 7 1800x
Geforce 1080 Ti

I tried all the above fixes with no improvements including;
no hair
Vsync on/off
60 fps
frames rendered to 1
no over clocking or turbo
sound reduced to cd quality
Cmd useplatformclock true

It ran fine with my last system of AMD 8350 (turbo off)
Geforce 980

Any more ideas with a latest system?

Thanks to anyone for your time.

Aside from the suggestions listed throughout this thread, there is no other solution, I'm afraid. The lip-sync actually happens in real-time. It's one function running while the audio is another function. It seems that certain scenes in certain languages simply don't line up perfectly, so either the lips de-sync or the audio speeds up to cram it into the timestamp available to the cut. It's the engine working with what it has.

It's also possible that it's corruption. If verify / repair does nothing, try re-installing the game to a new directory (not the same path as before).

Also ensure the game is on the root of your drive, not in Program Files or Program Files(x86).

SigilFey,
Thank you for such a quick response.
I have my last install on GOG Games file. I've tried a repair but I will try a complete uninstall and remove my old savegames. I'm just finishing up the last DLC and will try your ideas for a 2nd playthrough.
Thanks again. I'll post results later.

So tried a whole new install. updated chip set, flashed bios. Still out of sync. Weird how it worked fine on my 2 year old system but does not on a new Ryzen 7 with a 1080Ti. Oh well, back to buying software that matches my hardware.

Skorakian;n9682251 said:
So tried a whole new install. updated chip set, flashed bios. Still out of sync. Weird how it worked fine on my 2 year old system but does not on a new Ryzen 7 with a 1080Ti. Oh well, back to buying software that matches my hardware.

Heh heh heh... This is often a problem with "next-gen" hardware. It wants only the newest and shiniest stuff, and it scoffs at old programs. In general, sometimes more powerful hardware can be the problem. In your case, ensure Vsync is On in game, set it to "Controlled by the 3D application" in Nvidia CP, and manually set an FPS Cap of 48 in the game itself (edit user.settings and change FPSLimit=48.)

See if that has any effect.

Tried the 48 limit and 3D app control plus vsync on in game. Still not synced. Plus camera not smooth running around outside. Oh well, thanks again for all your help.

Skorakian;n9702321 said:
Tried the 48 limit and 3D app control plus vsync on in game. Still not synced. Plus camera not smooth running around outside. Oh well, thanks again for all your help.

Ensure your Windows version is the latest. 1703 I believe. There were some performance issues that were cleared up for some other users in that regard.

Also, (thanks to derpturtel for this one!) uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome. If you upgraded from a prior version of Windows to Windows 10, it seems that something gets borked with Chrome, creating stutters in TW3...somehow... The uninstall / reinstall seems to clear it up for a rather surprising number of people. I have no idea what is going on there, but if nothing else is working, that would be worth a shot.

Lastly, just confirming that your game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86)?

Reinstalled Chrome. (no help) but thanks for the idea. Updated Win 10 and it seems to get in sync a little closer (or I'm getting used to it). The game is on it's own folder but if I run the .exe it says my game saves are from a different version and the expansions indicate not installed.

Is it OK to run the game through GOG, which is on program files.

Skorakian;n9730061 said:
The game is on it's own folder but if I run the .exe it says my game saves are from a different version and the expansions indicate not installed.
Is it OK to run the game through GOG, which is on program files.

Oh...that's not right at all. Something is definitely messed up. I would recommend the following, just to be sure all of the game files are fully installed / updated:

0.) Back up your saved games and move them someplace safe.

1.) Uninstall the game, then manually delete any remaining folders, including ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... Be sure you "view hidden files" and go through ...Users\[Your User Account]\AppData\... carefully. Delete everything Wicther 3 related.

2.) Download CCleaner to scan for and fix Registry errors. Just run the program repeatedly until it reports "No conflicts detected". Restart your PC. Run the scans repeatedly again. Keep that up until the program reports "No conflicts" immediately following a restart.

3.) Install the game again GOTY version directly through GOG. I suggest you manually download the installation files through your browser and run the files locally to install. (You can also save those files somewhere for easy re-installations in the future.) But, importantly, install the game directly to the root of your drive (or a folder of your own creation), and manually enter a new folder-name (not the same one you used last time).

i.e. Do NOT install to: C:\Program Files(x86)\The Witcher 3- Game of the Year Edition\... Change it to something like: C:\MyRPGs\Witcher 3 GOTY\...

4.) Once the installation is complete, set the Permissions for game's installation folder and ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... to "Everyone". Add these folders to the exceptions list of any anti-virus / firewall you may be using. Set the game's .EXE to "Run as administrator". (I would follow the shortcut that's created during the installation to its parent file...just to be sure you've got the right one.)

5.) Launch and begin a new game, play around in White Orchard for a bit and see if the issues are still there. If all is well, move your saved games back and try those.

Let's see what that does.

At this point, if the issues continue in the saved games, it's likely a result of something in their save-state, and it's probably not fixable. From the sound of it, though, it's more likely a problem somewhere in your installation or config. Did you happen to install the game, then upgrade Windows 10 at some point after that, by any chance?

*Additional note: Also, be sure you're installing only the Base Game and the Season Pass. There should be no need to install Hearts of Stone, Blood and Wine, or the Free DLCs individually. (That might be part of the issue, actually.)

Last edited:
Your last note; Yes I did update Win 10 after install of W3. I do use season pass as well. Thanks for the through instructions. I look forward to trying everything you listed. It may be a bit before I can manage some time in. Thanks again.

Top Bottom