x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save Game Corruption PC (Version 1.3) Please Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrDeathhand View Post

Dear SigiFey,

Any updates regarding testing for this savegame corruption bug?
    I am also experiencing it and because of it I cant continue playing the Witcher.
    So pleassseee pretty please try it out / test it out and give us an update
    Sorry! Not yet. I teach -- busy time of year. If I do get a minute (and I'm not moderating ), I'm most likely seeking chocolate.

Not sure if I misrepresented my intent above. I think it's possible that the save system might be part of the problem...but even if it can be confirmed, it likely won't be easy or quick to discover a fix or workaround. It may not even be possible, given the complexity of the engine. Not trying to be a pessimist, just don't want anyone to get too excited.
    People always ask me, "What's in the box?" I get the question a lot. "Come on -- what's in the box!?" I won't tell them...but I'll tell you. Go on.
    You can see what's IN THE BOX!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SigilFey View Post

Sorry! Not yet. I teach -- busy time of year. If I do get a minute (and I'm not moderating ), I'm most likely seeking chocolate.

Not sure if I misrepresented my intent above. I think it's possible that the save system might be part of the problem...but even if it can be confirmed, it likely won't be easy or quick to discover a fix or workaround. It may not even be possible, given the complexity of the engine. Not trying to be a pessimist, just don't want anyone to get too excited.
      Dear SigilFey,

Thank you very much for your response.
      I would like to reply to that. We all understand the issue of time. I also work full time (at least 50 / 60 hours a week) and besides that have a lot of other real life things going on.
      So we totally understand if you do not have the time to deal with this. But if you do not have the time to do something with this problem like testing out and stuff then can you please forward this problems to the developers of the game??

I have contacted them before but I was probably not clear enough about the problem and thus my problem was brushed aside with the excuse "you are using mods so we cant do anything"
      So If you please contact them as a Modarator then you can explain the problem more clearly and encourage them to dive into this problem.

This way something hopefully will be done with this corruption problem.

Can you please do that??
      Last edited by DrDeathhand; 10-09-17, 18:19.

Comment

So we totally understand if you do not have the time to deal with this. But if you do not have the time to do something with this problem like testing out and stuff then can you please forward this problems to the developers of the game??
        Unfortunately, work on TW3 was ended a good while ago. Tech Support is available to assist with any known fixes, but any remaining issues either a.) cannot be fixed as the solution would potentially cause more serious issues elsewhere in the game or b.) the actual source of the problem simply could not be found.

I have contacted them before but I was probably not clear enough about the problem and thus my problem was brushed aside with the excuse "you are using mods so we cant do anything" So If you please contact them as a Modarator then you can explain the problem more clearly and encourage them to dive into this problem.
        And that's always been the case with modded games. Mods simply introduce too many variables; it makes troubleshooting the default game-state virtually impossible. No way of telling where the issue actually arises. If testing this save corruption thing, be sure you're using a vanilla installation with an unmodded saved game. If mods have been used at any point during the playthrough, it may invalidate any "official" results.

Right now, this isn't something that I can raise with Tech Support. Best bet is to just plug away and see what we can find. As I stated earlier in the thread, if it's a "problem of large numbers", there isn't anything to be done except prevent it from happening. Such "bugs" are actually the engine hitting an upper limit for assigned values. Only way to fix that is not assign such values, seriously modify the core engine, or build a new engine from the ground up.

(Draws his marshmallow stick with a flourish. Holds it aloft.) We must forge our own way!

My primary interest at this point is finding a preventative step.
        People always ask me, "What's in the box?" I get the question a lot. "Come on -- what's in the box!?" I won't tell them...but I'll tell you. Go on.

Comment

Unfortunately, work on TW3 was ended a good while ago. Tech Support is available to assist with any known fixes, but any remaining issues either a.) cannot be fixed as the solution would potentially cause more serious issues elsewhere in the game or b.) the actual source of the problem simply could not be found.

And that's always been the case with modded games. Mods simply introduce too many variables; it makes troubleshooting the default game-state virtually impossible. No way of telling where the issue actually arises. If testing this save corruption thing, be sure you're using a vanilla installation with an unmodded saved game. If mods have been used at any point during the playthrough, it may invalidate any "official" results.

Right now, this isn't something that I can raise with Tech Support. Best bet is to just plug away and see what we can find. As I stated earlier in the thread, if it's a "problem of large numbers", there isn't anything to be done except prevent it from happening. Such "bugs" are actually the engine hitting an upper limit for assigned values. Only way to fix that is not assign such values, seriously modify the core engine, or build a new engine from the ground up.

(Draws his marshmallow stick with a flourish. Holds it aloft.) We must forge our own way!

Dear SigilFey,

Thank you for your response.

I have to say one thing, from reading back you have been monitoring this forum topic / post for quite a while now and by now multiple people have responded with this problem and within these list of people there are persons that have not used any mods, for instance a person named ManPerson responded and said that he does not use any mods and also got this problem.
          So it looks like this most deff is not a MOD issue or something.

Anyways, I do really hope you can help us to find the problem and find a solution to this problem.
          Right now I am busy emptying my inventory completely which takes a LONGGG time (maby there should be an option to select all items and drop them all at once or create a drop all items button or something) and then trying to save / load / reload my game to see if the bug comes back

Comment

Originally posted by ;n7070790
            I've run into a game breaking issue in my current NG+ playthrough where my save games are repeatedly becoming corrupted after a certain number of saves. The symptoms are: glitchy invisible items appearing in inventory, normal items disappearing from inventory, non-ammo items loaded into crossbow as items, and occasionally Geralt's face vanishing altogether. The attached screenshot shows several of the inventory bugs.

These issues started appearing near the end of the main storyline, and through self diagnosis I've discovered that no matter which earlier save (hours or even days before the bug appears) I reload to prior to the appearance of the save game corruption, and no matter what I do in the game (including just standing in one spot and saving several times) after a certain amount of time or certain number of saves the same problem pops up every single time. The problem only appears after saving and loading, or less commonly after fast traveling.

After several hours of experimentation the corruption appears to be related to the count of number of loads accumulated in a given save. I have several unbugged save game files prior to the appearance of the glitches, all of which eventually become bugged. Save game #1 from several hours before the bug becomes bugged every time after the following: save, reload, save, reload. Save game #2 from the day before the bug requires 10 saves and reloads before the bug appears. Save game #3 from 2 days before the bug requires 17 saves and reloads before the bug appears. The number of saves and reloads before the save becomes corrupted is the same no matter what I do in the game.

While I did play with the FriendlyHud mod, I don't believe it is the source of the problem because even after removing the mod and replaying from an earlier point prior to the save game becoming corrupt, the problem still appeared as usual. I own the game through Steam and have both reverified my files numerous times and done a clean reinstall, with no impact.

I've put over 650 hours into this game and I've never run into this issue before, so please help me diagnose the problem! If there's any way to prevent this problem appearing, that would be enough since I have plenty of unbugged saves to restart from. Right now, I'm running into this problem every single time and I cannot progress in the game. I am happy to attach a save game, but the file exceeds the allowable attachment size limit.
            Dear Molossos,

Are you still experiencing this bug? Have you found a solution for it??

Comment

Originally posted by austin26423 View Post
              I use several mods (screenshot of them attached below), most of them are graphical tweaks or bug fixes. The bugs occur even after completely removing all mods. I used a few tweaks from the compendium on these forums to fix/enhance shadows, but reverted to the default values for "High" shadow quality. The tweaked values fixed the ambient occlusion issues with some shadows, but made all shadows in game very low-res. I also played around with some console commands (spawning monsters, changing weather) but never saved the game after using it. I have all DLC installed and only had to re-install the free DLC pack one time after accidentally removing it in GoG Galaxy. This was months ago and the only issue it caused was being unable to load any saves where Geralt was using one of the DLC hair/beard styles. Re-installing the DLC remedied that.

I've put dozens of hours into the game after the above "tweaks" with no issues. All of the bugs I've been experiencing have been a recent occurrence after starting the "Open Sesame" quest chain in Hearts of Stone.
              Dear Austin26423,

Did you find a solution for this problem? I have played for about 1850 hours before encountering this problem.
              I have almost finished the main game (only need to do the isle of mist part) and finished the heart of stone expansion.
              Right now I am playing.. or well stopped playing.. Blood and Wine and first Encountered this error while starting / playing the Paperchase quest.

Comment

1. I am playing version 1.31 of the game via GOG. I have been playing for 1883 hours and 19 minutes.
                5. The last savegame with an uncorrupted inventory that I can load / save then reload without immediately getting corrupted is from the 25th of August at 12:16:54 size: 4.099KB
                This is the highest number of hours ever seen, before the bug occurred (sigh!) and a very large savegame, expecially for a point in the main story before the isle of mists and without Blood and Wine done. Therefore I expect, you'll have the lowest number of loads ever seen too.

7. I want to run the W3SavegameEditor modified by Salvatore80. I have downloaded it but I do not have the .EXE file to run it. Can you please send it to me???
                I'll try to append a compiled .EXE file to this post. If this does not work, I'll try to send it to you by PM or I might even need your email address (by PM). Please tell me the number of loads in your last uncorrupted savegame.
                OK, the .exe is an invalid attachment. I'll try a PM.

3. I dont know of this is important but for most of the game I have not used any mods.
                This kind of savegame corruption is not caused by mods, or anything you do ingame. I never used any mod, and there are others here, who did not use mods too.

4. I did send an email to tech support but they did not know what to do with this problem. They said ...
                You got a response? In August 2017? Lucky you! I never saw any reaction, waiting for a month. Which email address did you use to contact support? But, to be honest, there is no hope, that CDPR will fix this bug, and probably neither CDPR nor anybody out there will find a workaround. But if the message reaches the team doing the next version of engine, chances are, we won't see this problem / engine limitation in their next game again. But ... I'm warned now anyway ;-)

9. I dont know of my sys specs are of any use for you but here they are.
                Hmm ... I use a Gigabyte Z77 mainboard and Kaspersky Endpoint security - anything else is different. Most probably, the problem is not hardware or Windows related. It is in the game engine.

There is a cure. But like in real life, the medicine is bitter, and it will not save a Geralt, who has neglected the basic principles of healty lifestyle for too long - ignorance is no excuse.
                Thou shalt not
                - reload your game without need, this is the 1st commandment,
                - grind.
                Especially, don't
                - fight enemies above your level, because Geralt might die,
                - kill mosters and bandits only for experience or loot, this will bloat your savegame,
                - collect too many plants and crafting materials, this will bloat your savegame.
                Instead,
                - go through the game with a poor Geralt, as described in "the books",
                - do quests (all quests) in a correct order with ascending level requirements.

But what about the sinners out there, who already experienced final damnation? Salvatore80, what an appropriate username here, has enhanced Atvaark's unfinished W3SavegameEditor and now it shows the total number of reloads already done. If older savegames before corruption are available, select one with a sufficiently lower number of reloads, and go on according to the above principles. Take into consideration, that savegames will increase in size while advancing in the game. See the diagram I've added for explanation - this is work in progress. Probably 50 - 200 remaining loads are sufficient to complete (not only beat!) the whole game this way - based on the experience with my 2nd playthrough. And this is a special challenge and fun.

Right now I am busy emptying my inventory completely which takes a LONGGG time (maby there should be an option to select all items and drop them all at once or create a drop all items button or something) and then trying to save / load / reload my game to see if the bug comes back
                This is a waste of time. Others, including me, tried that several times. You'll end up with a Geralt without face or other vital parts of his body, and/or crashes during fast travel between maps. The bug will persist in every case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	W3corruption.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	9514141

Comment

I know I'm not being much help here, but the graph alone is highlighting what I feared. It's a matter of the engine being able to accurately record steadily increasing values over time. 1800+ hours is massive amount of game time. I never had a playthrough of the main quest take me more than 100 hours. (Usually about 80, here.) I've also never played NG+, which may exacerbate the corruption issue, as reaching high experience levels stretches many of the game mechanics as it is. (I'm very curious now to find a night when I can run the save macro and see where mine bugs out.)

Trying to clarify the "modded save-game issue" -- it may be clear to you, me, and Harvey the Invisible Rabbit here that mods are not causing the issue, but there are two things to consider that CDPR would have to take into account:

1.) Many (dedicated and talented!) people often believe they understand how something works...but they don't. Only the people that actually built the engine can say for sure.

2.) Having a modded saved game (most often) makes it impossible to compare or 100% verify that something is happening in vanilla. This isn't a matter of believing or being convinced one way or another; it's literally not possible to look at the vanilla system because it has been completely changed in places. Think of it as taking a photo and putting the original into perfect preservation. Then, 100 years later, you take an identical photo using old-fashioned film on modern equipment. Both are placed in front of a judge. One of them was torn a bit by the camera. Which one? How would you ever be able to tell which one was the original without knowing exactly what the conditions were when each were taken? They're both in perfect condition, identical, and completely different. The judge would have to take apart both cameras to figure out which one caused the tear.

Therefore, it's best to try to re-create a few results on different vanilla installations. That's the only way to be 100% sure it's not somehow mod-related. Any evidence coming from modded saves may complicate the issue.

As for the whole venture, I don't have an enormous amount of hope for a fix. Playing TW3 the way that people play Dark Souls, Bethesda games, or MMOs was never what the game was intended for. (Even one playthrough of NG+ without a glitch or weirdness is a stretch!) It sounds more like the engine was simply pushed the to its absolute limit, like running a car for 45,000 miles with no maintenance -- something is going to break, dang it!

Comment

Here is a zipped version of the compiled W3SavegameEditor.exe modified by Salvatore80, this format can be uploaded here. I have added a screenshot, how the GUI looks like. If you click on Variables, you will see the full power of this unfinished piece of work - but be warned, lists of variables with thousands of members may take a long time to be displayed. It is required to have a directory with The Witcher 3 savegames at the usual location, else the program will crash without further messages.

I have uploaded and checked the program with www.virustotal.com, you can do the same to be safe.

Name:	W3SavegameEditor.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	9518771

Note: You need to be logged in to be able to see and download the attached file.
                    Last edited by karlblau; 12-09-17, 18:32. Reason: Added note, smaller screenshot

Comment

Originally posted by karlblau View Post
                      Here is a zipped version of the compiled W3SavegameEditor.exe modified by Salvatore80, this format can be uploaded here. I have added a screenshot, how the GUI looks like. If you click on Variables, you will see the full power of this unfinished piece of work - but be warned, lists of variables with thousands of members may take a long time to be displayed. It is required to have a directory with The Witcher 3 savegames at the usual location, else the program will crash without further messages.

I have uploaded and checked the program with www.virustotal.com, you can do the same to be safe.

Name:	W3SavegameEditor.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	9518771

Note: You need to be logged in to be able to see and download the attached file.
                      Dear Karlblau,

Alright, I got the EXE file and ran the savegameeditor thing. Here are the results. I added screenshots. One made from the last savegame where the inventory is still intact.
                      As soon as I save that game and reload it I get a corrupted inventory with empty items and the face if Gerald which is gone.
                      The other screenshot is from a savegame where I can at least save and load and save and load the game two or three times before it gets corrupted.

I hope you can see or do something with the screenshots I have send.

Comment

I hope you can see or do something with the screenshots I have send.
                        Yes, you provided very valuable additional data, and I'll try to give you a more precise recommendation, how to proceed with your game.

The size of your last savegame file and the number of loads until corruption fit perfectly into the diagram, I'll try to upload an updated version tomorrow.

Therefore we can conclude two facts: CDPR managed to keep the TW3 save data stable and useable for the tremendous amout of 1883 ingame hours (congratulations!), and your problem is exactly the nasty game-breaking bug, which we have to discuss here (unfortunately).

In 1883 hours you consumed 1634 loads, this is 1.1524 hours per load. If you go back to a savegame with a loadcount of 1400, you can expect to have 269 hours of gameplay until corruption without changing your playstyle. If Velen, Novigrad and Skellige until the Isle of Mists are each 20% of the total game, and the basic game until completion 20% and HoS+B&W 20%, you have done about 60% of the game, assuming you have to redo HoS. With 269 hours for the remaining 40%, this allows a total playtime of 674 hours. This would be a very generous limit for most gamers. In addition, you could reduce the number of reloads - I'm currently in my second playthrough and left Velen (all quests up to level 11, all ? explored) with a loadcount of 9.

Of course, I can't be absolutely sure, that my analysis of the bug's behaviour is correct, but I'd recommend: Select an old savegame with a suitable number of reloads below 1634 using the W3SavegameEditor, and proceed with confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by karlblau View Post
                          Yes, you provided very valuable additional data, and I'll try to give you a more precise recommendation, how to proceed with your game.

The size of your last savegame file and the number of loads until corruption fit perfectly into the diagram, I'll try to upload an updated version tomorrow.

Therefore we can conclude two facts: CDPR managed to keep the TW3 save data stable and useable for the tremendous amout of 1883 ingame hours (congratulations!), and your problem is exactly the nasty game-breaking bug, which we have to discuss here (unfortunately).

In 1883 hours you consumed 1634 loads, this is 1.1524 hours per load. If you go back to a savegame with a loadcount of 1400, you can expect to have 269 hours of gameplay until corruption without changing your playstyle. If Velen, Novigrad and Skellige until the Isle of Mists are each 20% of the total game, and the basic game until completion 20% and HoS+B&W 20%, you have done about 60% of the game, assuming you have to redo HoS. With 269 hours for the remaining 40%, this allows a total playtime of 674 hours. This would be a very generous limit for most gamers. In addition, you could reduce the number of reloads - I'm currently in my second playthrough and left Velen (all quests up to level 11, all ? explored) with a loadcount of 9.

Of course, I can't be absolutely sure, that my analysis of the bug's behaviour is correct, but I'd recommend: Select an old savegame with a suitable number of reloads below 1634 using the W3SavegameEditor, and proceed with confidence.

Dear Karlblau,

Thanks again for taking the time to look further.
                          Are you saying that I have to either reload my game half way? or like totally restart my game??
                          Jeez man... I do love the Witcher 3.... I really do... but to restart playing it again after putting so many hours into it and not having finished the
                          game is rather disappointing.

Like I said I was just about do the last couple of things @ Blood and Wine and then Finish the Witcher 3 main quest it self.
                          So now... when playing the game you have to constantly take notice of how much you are saving / reloading.... that sort of puts one playing the game
                          @ a time clock... and I hate playing a game like that. I want to explore every nick and cranny and do it at ease.

I really do hope the guys @ CDProjectREd will check out this message board and fix the Witcher 3 problem.
                          Otherwise I think I am just going to stop playing the Witcher 3 all together.
                          OR I might just reload the savegame I made just before starting Blood and Wine and Finish the main quest.

I really do hate this game breaking bug... its sooo disapointing....

Comment

Working...
                          X