SOLVED Awful FPS on GTX 1080!

+
Oh! Also![SUP]4[/SUP]

Uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome. There was a user getting random hitching and stuttering, and that fixed it for him and a handful of others. In those cases, it was some issue between Chrome and Windows 10. Also worth a shot.

Based on the GPU-Z results, it sounds as if hardware is working as intended. It must be something else, and that's likely down to Windows. You built the system yourself? Good on you! If it's working fine with other games, then it's unlikely you made any critical errors. Just a random issue. (That's the heart of PC gaming!) If voltage never popped up, RAM was steady, and CPU / GPU weren't affected by heat...that certainly narrows it down. (Stares darkly at Windows.)

As for expected performance, 60 FPS is the max if you want to avoid issues. Many of the game's functions are tied to frame-timing. 60 is the ceiling before things like PhysX start going screwy. (Same with Bethesda titles.) Even though the graphics may work fine at 80-120 FPS, there are many other game functions that can get knocked all out of sync. All games are limited by their engines, not just the available hardware. Plus, it's always a great idea to leave a healthy performance overhead while gaming (saves power / increases the lifespan of hardware). It's consistent FPS that create the sense of smooth play, not high FPS. I agree that 30 is a bit low for computer monitors because of their high refresh rates, but anything in the 50-60 range is actually silky smooth. I know how awesome 100+ FPS feels, but the games themselves need to be made for that, and most complex RPGs are not.

The one thing that is universal in your situation is that the slowdowns only occur around "internal" locations that are cached to be loaded when you walk through a door (like standing outside the inn in White Orchard...or being in a city...or strolling around Kaer Trolde...) If the Chrome thing has no effect either, send a dxdiag (64 bit) into CDPR Support with a quick vid of the issue and a summary of each step we've tried here. (Bullet lists are your friend!) I think there is enough excluded now that they can get right to the bone. Tech Support is really busy with Gwent at the moment, so it may take some time for them to get back to you.

In the meantime, we can continue fiddlin'. This is a good one. :skepticalzoltan:

Damn it, what a headache! I'm actually at a loss now... I'd say install Windows 7 as a second system alongside your Windows 10 and see if it works okay there. Just make sure not to do away with your current installation, it's way easier to avoid that if you install W7 on a seperate drive.

The graphs don't yield anything conclusive, other than saying "idle", but I knew it was idle the moment I saw your thread. I just don't really know why. There's also "vrel", but seeing it doesn't automatically mean there's something wrong, it just means the core hit its max voltage and can't go another step in frequency without losing stability and this is inevitable.

In any case, I'd also look into updating my bios at this point, then trying to run the system with just one of each of my memory stick, seeing how it has referances to memory controller. But the best bet here is trying the game out on a fresh Win7 install, keep your saves. Please, tell us how it goes from there. Meanwhile, sending the tech support guys your dxdiag, as SigilFey suggested won't hurt.

Last edited:
Right, so after a whole Sunday of misery I've finally got the game working smooth across the realm! I basically gave up in the end and went for a format and reinstall of Windows 10, been testing it today after work and it worked flawlessly in all the previous problem areas. I have no idea what the reason was or how to fix it otherwise but it was a hard drive that previously had windows 7 and old AMD drivers (although I used DDU countless times) on it before I upgraded to 10 for my new build, perhaps the problem came form there somewhere, all in all it was obviously a windows problem. So tomorrow I can finally start another playthrough in glorious quality (and now performance) Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated! SigilFey, iCake Dalitax

wazabee900;n9167620 said:
Right, so after a whole Sunday of misery I've finally got the game working smooth across the realm! I basically gave up in the end and went for a format and reinstall of Windows 10, been testing it today after work and it worked flawlessly in all the previous problem areas. I have no idea what the reason was or how to fix it otherwise but it was a hard drive that previously had windows 7 and old AMD drivers (although I used DDU countless times) on it before I upgraded to 10 for my new build, perhaps the problem came form there somewhere, all in all it was obviously a windows problem. So tomorrow I can finally start another playthrough in glorious quality (and now performance) Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated! SigilFey, iCake Dalitax

Great to know you've sorted it! Kill sumpthin' scary for me!

Top Bottom