Launching Problem with GOTY Edition

+
Launching Problem with GOTY Edition

I've been having this problem with The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition for months now and I haven't been able to fix it. It all started when I believe I was in Skellige where Geralt was about to have sex with Yennefer, I also had the Geralt Steroid Body mod Version 3 not 4 (I liked the 3rd version better) as well as a lot of other mods I installed. And as the cutscene started all of Geralt's body except his head disappeared and I immediately restarted my computer while I was I was still in the game (which hopefully wasn't the reason for this problem I'm about to explain). And since then, I haven't been able to launch the game ever since that happened, and that's with my mods installed but when I don't have my mods installed I'm still able to play the game.
So I've uninstalled and restarted Witcher 3 multiple times while also reinstalling my mods (which includes installing Version 4 of the body mod instead of 3), I've also verified integrity of the game files, I've also repaired Microsoft Visual C++, and I've also tried to launch the game from its root directory instead of my desktop, btw I also have the Unification Patch for 1.31 GOTY installed as well as Script Merger, and even after all that I'm still not able to launch Witcher 3 which is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!! But like I said earlier I'm still able to play the game without my mods installed, but I don't want that. Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem, I hope I'm not the only one having this issue. Thanks!

Have you identified the mod that causes the issue? Or does the game fail to launch if there are mods active, regardless of what mods they are?

Welcome to the Forums, Alex032691!

I see you've had some troubles...

Alex032691;n9266481 said:
I also had the Geralt Steroid Body mod...as well as a lot of other mods I installed...as the cutscene started all of Geralt's body except his head disappeared and I immediately restarted my computer while I was I was still in the game (which hopefully wasn't the reason for this problem I'm about to explain). And since then, I haven't been able to launch the game ever since that happened, and that's with my mods installed but when I don't have my mods installed I'm still able to play the game...So I've uninstalled and restarted Witcher 3 multiple times while also reinstalling my mods (which includes installing Version 4 of the body mod instead of 3), I've also verified integrity of the game files, I've also repaired Microsoft Visual C++, and I've also tried to launch the game from its root directory instead of my desktop, btw I also have the Unification Patch for 1.31 GOTY installed as well as Script Merger, and even after all that I'm still not able to launch Witcher 3 which is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

(Hits the gong.) :p As an analogy, you're jumping in the water, then taking a deep breath, then trying to put on the life jacket. I think we can get this working. Follow the steps below in order:

1.) Please, remove all mods completely.

2.) Verify the game through Steam / GOG / Origin.

3.) Ensure nothing game-related is installed under either Program Files or Program Files(x86). These are protected directories, and could be causing the mod issues. Move the entire installation of your game, GOG Galaxy, Steam, etc. to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation. Follow these steps carefully if using Steam.

4.) Verify the game again. (If you moved your entire Steam installation, you'll likely need to verify each of your installed games once to before playing them.)

5.) Launch the game and ensure everything is working under vanilla. Play for an hour or two -- be sure there do not seem to be any missing textures, etc.

6.) Install each mod one-at-a-time and revisit trouble spots -- but do not save -- ! This should make potential mod conflicts immediately apparent. Understand that certain mods are simply out-of-date, and will not work with v1.31, period. Others may have specific synergy issues with other mods. You'll need to read each mod's description to figure that out...or simply discover brand new conflicts through trial and error. :cool:

Also, be aware that you wish to avoid the following scenario:

I install a mod, play for a while, and save. Later, I uninstall the mod, reload the same game, then save again. Even later, I install a new mod, play for a while, and save the game again...

This is like purposefully shooting at your saved game. The save-state may record reference data for any mod installed, and that data remains resident in the save-state even after the mod is removed...leaving "holes". A lot of problems arise in all sorts of games when people freely add and remove mods during the same playthrough. What I recommend is the following system to test mods:

1.) Create a new, vanilla game. (Maybe speed-through until you unlock all areas.) Save the game in vanilla.

2.) Manually backup that save by creating a folder of your own and copying that save file into it.

3.) Load up whatever mods you're interested in and run around for a bit trying them out. When you've decided, manually delete any saves you made while using the new mods, and install only the ones you know you'll be keeping.

4.) Manually replace the "testing save" from your backup.

Repeat this process every time you want to fiddle with mods. Once you have saved your actual gameplay using a mod, it can be very problematic to remove it. You may be stuck with it for the remainder of the playthrough, will need to roll back to a savegame before you first installed the mod, or start a brand new game.

Last edited:
RidiculousName;n9268011 said:
Have you identified the mod that causes the issue? Or does the game fail to launch if there are mods active, regardless of what mods they are?

I haven't been able to know what mod it is, so I guess for now I'm gonna have to go with your second question.

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that recently I was able to get Witcher 3 working again. What happened was that for one I had the wrong Unification Patch mod installed so I was able to fix that, and I also had to use Script Merger for some of the mods I installed so everything's good now, thanks guys!

Top Bottom