SOLVED Can't Use Active Quen with Keyboard

+
Can't Use Active Quen with Keyboard

Hey all,

so the title pretty much says it all: when using a mouse and keyboard I cannot cast active quen. It works with a controller but not with the keyboard, and I was wondering if there is a software adjustment or ini tweak that would enable it to function?

I use a fully updated windows 7 OS and am currently playing v1.31 of the witcher 3 with all DLC installed. (And before anyone asks, yes the skills are selected and I am holding down the cast key.)

Thanks
Cheers

Regular quen happens. It doesn't seem to acknowledge a longer key press.
I have plenty of mods but I've tested and get this issue both with and without them installed (love TW3's modding).

So nobody else has this problem? I ask, and am genuinely surprised, because I've had it since I first started playing the game. The problem has persisted throughout multiple play-throughs of the game across multiple computers and hardware configurations. The only thing that's remained constant is I'm still running win 7 as my OS.

Does no one else truly have this problem?

This might be related to Axii alternate form (Puppet) not working when it's equipped at the same time as the Delusion skill.

Have you tested other Signs' alternate forms? Could make a save, buy and use a Potion of Clearance, test and then load the save.

RidiculousName;n9880701 said:
This might be related to Axii alternate form (Puppet) not working when it's equipped at the same time as the Delusion skill.

Have you tested other Signs' alternate forms? Could make a save, buy and use a Potion of Clearance, test and then load the save.

I have that problem as well. I used to be able to correct it with an ini tweak but that no longer works with recent versions of the game. With the nerf to puppet it's not a big deal anyway seeing as I just don't use that skill, but active quen is just soooo useful. I'd go so far as to call it essential.

whitelion1284;n9889811 said:
I used to be able to correct it with an ini tweak but that no longer works with recent versions of the game.

Hmm, ini tweaks are what I was going to suggest, but since you've already tried tried them without success...
What ini tweak did you use?

Edit: Wrong game... I meant to be talking about input.settings tweaks. But it might be what you're referring to as well, so the end result is the same.

Last edited:
I changed:
IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime =0.2
to 0.1 and when that didn't work I tried 0.3
I am aware that there are multiple entries and changed them all using notepad ++. If there is another value or another setting that affects the ability to cast signs I am all ears.

Last edited:
whitelion1284;n9890431 said:
IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime =0.2

I'm using an IdleTime value of 0.001; you could try that.

Also make sure your input.settings is read-only. The game at least used to revert some changes when launched, not sure if it still does it.

RidiculousName;n9890681 said:
I'm using an IdleTime value of 0.001; you could try that.

Also make sure your input.settings is read-only. The game at least used to revert some changes when launched, not sure if it still does it.

I do keep the ini's read only. I use Friendly HUD and have to re-enter a bunch of extra instructions whenever I make changes.

0.001; I'll give that a try and let you know. Thanks for the feedback, btw. It is much appreciated.

whitelion1284;n9890781 said:
I do keep the ini's read only.

In general, this is not a good idea, as it prevents the program from accessing parts of the game when it needs to.

whitelion1284;n9890781 said:
I use Friendly HUD and have to re-enter a bunch of extra instructions whenever I make changes.

Especially if you're making changes to controls, settings, graphics, etc., it will prevent those changes from sticking because it can't actually affect the needed files. This also has the potential to create issues with the save-state if there are a lot of commands that were returned as "incomplete".

Something else to look at is if you're running a program like Comodo. Comodo has been known to hook inputs for other players, preventing keyboard / mouse from working correctly.

RidiculousName, I wanted to let you know that that ini tweak did the trick. I can now use Active Quen with the M&KB and Puppet in conjunction with Delusion with both forms of control. So THANK YOU. That was the right answer.

SigilFey;n9892011 said:
In general, this is not a good idea, as it prevents the program from accessing parts of the game when it needs to.

No disrespect intended but I have never had any of those experiences. On the other hand when using mods that add to those ini's it is essential to make those ini's read only or the mods will stop working the instant the game overwrites them, which seems to happen upon startup. Whenever >I< make any changes to my game, whether it is video or HUD settings, key bindings, etc, I do so deliberately by making those ini's editable, making the changes, and then re-adding the extra info from the mods then, finally, setting both user and input setting ini's as read-only again. It seems to work fine, although I cannot speak for what is happening behind the scenes. Also, I can't speak for other players, but I don't know what Comodo is.

Last edited:
whitelion1284;n9892861 said:
...when using mods that add to those ini's it is essential to make those ini's read only or the mods will stop working the instant the game overwrites them...Whenever >I< make any changes to my game, whether it is video or HUD settings, key bindings, etc, I do so deliberately by making those ini's editable, making the changes, and then re-adding the extra info from the mods then, finally, setting both user and input setting ini's as read-only again. It seems to work fine...

Heh. Human nature, I suppose. What you're identifying is exactly where the "set config files to read-only" first began: Morrowind and Oblivion modding. And for the same reasons: mod XYZ won't work unless the .INI is set to read-only to prevent the vanilla program from overriding its changes. Eventually, the "custom" was seen for causing the problems it does and done away with, as a game does need access to its configuration files. Normally, it's not a problem. However, if the program needs to do something and it can't...then it can suddenly become a big problem.

Nowadays, I think people are most likely to run into issues with it if the game needs to update, verify the installation, reset something because of an issue, etc. If it can't access the files...there may not be code to deal with it, and that can result in a borked game state.

Although, I also understand the needs of the mods. Nothing to be done about that, presently. The good thing is that if something does go wrong...you'll eventually find out! :rolleyes:

whitelion1284;n9892861 said:
...I don't know what Comodo is.

Good. Good! No problem there! (Sorry for mentioning it.) Carry on! Carry on. :D (Don't look back.)

(It's an anti-virus solution that tries to protect you by interfering with every, single, conceivable operation your PC may perform.)

Last edited:
RidiculousName;n9893751 said:
Also, SigilFey , never knew having read-only inis could cause problems. Good to know.

It's an "if". The last time I had a problem with it was with Skyrim Classic. Had both .INIs set to read-only to prevent the 4th and 5th mouse buttons from resetting every time I launched from the console. I managed to crash the game because a mod that altered distant LoD details crashed the game in a certain cell to the far east of the map (maxed out the RAM). I lowered a setting of the mod...which needed to be able to alter settings in the .INI, but couldn't...and my entire game had turned red when I returned. All of the textures were displaying only the red of their RGB values.
:uma:
Took a couple hours of sleuthing to figure it out, and when I restored the default .INIs, the game crashed on launch. Couldn't revert from that point. 120 hours of playthrough undone in approximately 40 seconds of tweaking. Pure, modding bliss.

Back to the main topic, I find it interesting that the latency trick works. There have been a handful of players over time that had non-responsive K+M. It's been a while, but I think I'll send this tweak down the pipe and see if that has any affect. In the immortal words of Alice, "Curiouser and curiouser..."

Top Bottom