Crash after crafting Witcher Swords: CE-34878-0

+
Hey Sigil,

thanks I tried reinstalling totally clean (remove all Witcher data) a few times on the Pro. I'm also pretty sure it's not a save state issue either.

I'll see if I can send the save files from both machines tonight. While I may be wrong, I am, at this point, feeling 100% certain that no action on my part can fix this.

My only next diagnostic step was going to be trying a new DLC game (the one that starts you at level 34) to see if same issue occurs. I am apprehensive to put anymore time into it however. I don't think my play thru is salvageable and I can't bring myself to go back to using my old PS4 (performance and fan noise is a bit unbearable).

SigilFey;n10262472 said:
Just my two cents here:

It sounds like you've probably got an installation issue on the PS4 Pro. Can't guarantee that, but the type of issue you're describing sounds like something may have been borked in the update process. Installing the game fresh on the old PS4 likely didn't create the issue. If you haven't done so yet, reporting this to CDPR Support would probably be a good idea.

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, you downloaded a save from the game originally begun on the PS4 Pro to the old PS4? That means that it's likely not a save-state issue (hoorays!)...but...hm. If possible, send in a copy of both saves (one from each system), just to be sure.

My guess is the updater may have created leftover files that are causing issues.

(And just as a side-note, we always move through the basics before delving into nitty-gritty troubleshooting. Assuming that all players are aware of the basics steps to take when encountering an issue is not very efficient. I follow the exact same process when I encounter an issue in my own games.)

You may remember me and I was the first here to talk about this stuff. Its unfixable. I am still stuck with the same problem this guy is having, there is no way I can fix it nor avoid it. The game is broken.

amesh;n10263892 said:
While I may be wrong, I am, at this point, feeling 100% certain that no action on my part can fix this.
skovacevic96;n10290832 said:
You may remember me and I was the first here to talk about this stuff. Its unfixable. I am still stuck with the same problem this guy is having, there is no way I can fix it nor avoid it. The game is broken.

This is why I suggested getting a ticket into support earlier rather than later. If it's what I think it is, a console won't even let you view the files in question, let alone edit / delete them.

As for the game being broken, skovacevic96, there's sadly a shade of truth to that, but it's only a small minority of players hitting the crazy fans / terrible performance bug, or any form of bug that crashes the game. I'm in my 5th playthrough, and only a few, very minor issues to speak of. There are literally millions of people that played through on Playstations without a problem. There are still millions playing now without problems. While, ideally, CDPR wants every aspect of the game to work flawlessly for all players, that won't stop problems from occurring. When they do occur, gathering enough data to track down the source of the issue becomes the major challenge. The more random the bug...and the fewer people it affects...the harder and harder it becomes to zero in on the pertinent data. The problem at hand is not that the game is "totally broken", it's that some part of it is not working for you (and other, lucky, chosen ones, like amesh. ;)) -- and that's what we're trying to solve.

I'm very sorry for people suffering from these game-stopping issues, but the only thing to be done is be patient while CDPR works on it. Being upset is understandable, but it won't solve the issue any more quickly. Obviously, it's being caused by something. And obviously, it's something that only affects a small percentage of PS4 systems. But what...???

(Last I heard, actually, there was an interesting lead that deactivating some security program on PS4s -- something that prevents people from hacking into smart TVs -- completely rectified the issue for them. Makes sense to me, as, on PC, crazy-bad performance "for no reason...and only with this game" can very often be tracked down to the game triggering flags in an overly aggressive, anti-virus program. But, I haven't heard much back since. And that was concerning the fans / performance issue. The Griffin Gear crash is likely an inventory / item ID issue. This is an Official-CDPR-Tech-Support level problem if the normal tips and tricks didn't work.)

amesh;n10263892 said:
My only next diagnostic step was going to be trying a new DLC game (the one that starts you at level 34) to see if same issue occurs. I am apprehensive to put anymore time into it however. I don't think my play thru is salvageable and I can't bring myself to go back to using my old PS4 (performance and fan noise is a bit unbearable).

If you feel it's worth it, I think this would be a constructive venture. However, I would simply go into it as a "bug tester", not to actually play. I'm sure, however, that CDPR could do all such comparisons in-house much more quickly and easily (relatively speaking). If you're really frustrated with it, taking a break could be the perfect bowl of porridge. Giving other games some quality time is wholeheartedly endorsed!

Last edited:
The program works or it doesnt work - bug occurs or it doesnt. There are hundreds of people talking about this bug but sadly not even 1% ever get to writing a ticket. The problem is identical to anyone so it is not a random occuring thing it is a problem that probably happens to everyone who:

1. Have a big inventory
2. Have ps4 pro and 1.50 patch
3. Have played a lot of hours

Being patient is what I was doing for the last 2 months. Ive sent tickets, wrote on this forum in my own thread and was eventually told someone is going to do something about it. I was waiting patiently 2 months and after time passed I concluded that no one is actually going to do anything about it. That is just sad as I would like to play Witcher and...

The developer wont even aknowledge they are having a problem they wont fix so we cant get a refund - we are stuck with a non-working product which we cant sell nor get our invested money back. I love CDPR as they are coming from a slavic eastern european country and when I play it I feel its something that belongs to my culture too and that is just super cool but its really a shame I cant do anything about it.

Skovacevic96 is totally right here. No offense to you Sigil but I feel like you're towing the company line and I do not believe that only a small percentage of PS4 PRO users are experiencing this. I may not be a developer in my day job but I do have a fair amount of app dev and coding experience under my belt and from my personal perspective the nature and circumstances of these crashes do not indicate to me that it's some sort of freak anomaly on a few PS4 Pros.

You said you're not having these issues? So does that mean that on a PS4 PRO you can successfully create repair and compare in merchant windows a witcher set like Griffon without a crash? I would be surprised if you tell me that you can do what the YouTube videos on this thread are doing on a PS4 PRO with that same equipment.

The amount of time spent on researching fixes is now monumental and I've tried and triple tried every permutation of fix just short of trying voodoo (yes including the video copyright hail mary).

My point is, Sigil, that when you say things like only a small percentage of users are affected, I find it to be misleading and maybe even detrimental in some small way to the progress of the actual fix. I mean its enough people that multiple game mews outlets carried the story back in the fall. If the devs or users think that the problem isn't as widespread as it is then people won't speak out and the responsible party won't feel pressured to act. The fact that CD PR spent months working on getting HD support for XBOX while I can't even play sort of shows that, doesn't it?

You're right about one thing... we have to be patient. But we (while being patient for 4 months) also should be frustrated. In the end the more people to apply pressure the better.

I started a new game (only because of the above crashes) with the latest patch (1.50 in my country) and i will reply back, if i encounter the same or similar problems.

I also own the game on PS4 Pro.

I'm pretty sure, the culprit of those nasty crashes is the latest patch from CDPR. So something went deeply wrong with some merchants on that latest patch. ;)

Note: Having a big inventory shouldn't be a problem on me, as i sell almost everything, only to be sure this isn't the culprit of the crashes.

Hi, try to start the game with DLC Blood and Wine, and go to blacksmith, and make all how here

Last edited:
Hey everybody,

I also have this issue on my ps4 pro and I'm not able to continue playing the game. I already completed the main game long time ago on xbox but bought goty for ps4 in October.
i was super excited for playing this amazing game again and the dlcs for the first time. sad that i didn't even made it out of novigrad because of this stupid bug..

So after 3 months of waiting for a fix i don't think CD project red is ever going to fix that.
CDPR isn't that outstanding developer as I thought they would be for a long time, that offers a amazing game that's totally worth the money. They really did good but leaving the game rotting in this current unplayable state brings them in line with other developers.

I'm very sad about it but it's time to move on for me

ttrs3;n10327232 said:
Hey everybody,

I also have this issue on my ps4 pro and I'm not able to continue playing the game. I already completed the main game long time ago on xbox but bought goty for ps4 in October.
i was super excited for playing this amazing game again and the dlcs for the first time. sad that i didn't even made it out of novigrad because of this stupid bug..

So after 3 months of waiting for a fix i don't think CD project red is ever going to fix that.
CDPR isn't that outstanding developer as I thought they would be for a long time, that offers a amazing game that's totally worth the money. They really did good but leaving the game rotting in this current unplayable state brings them in line with other developers.

I'm very sad about it but it's time to move on for me

The best would be, to play a different game until CDPR figures out how to solve the problem.

That takes time. You don't want a rushed patch that fixes some glitches and causes new ones, right?

And you can always come back and continue The Witcher 3 game anyway. ;)

Hi

Today this bug came to me! After breaking the head a lot LOL I was very annoyed by this bug. Whenever I equip the griffin set or any other wizard set the game crashed!!!
The solution for me was the following!!!
SOLUTION FOR ME: I simply hide the letters from the inventory with the button L3, and I was able to equip the whole set of wizard griffin. I hope it helps other players, for me this worked perfectly!
Another tip is to keep inventory to the maximum 120/220, do not loading the game very often and do not save the manual game very often.
Let me know if it worked for someone!?
PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

MaiconYKZ;n10409112 said:
simply hide the letters from the inventory with the button L3, and I was able to equip the whole set of wizard griffin. I hope it helps other players, for me this worked perfectly! Another tip is to keep inventory to the maximum 120/220, do not loading the game very often and do not save the manual game very often. Let me know if it worked for someone!? PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

That worked for me for a while, I even managed to play few days without the crashes but eventually it all became useless. Game started crashing no matter what. So lets just say you cant escape it.

Hello,

BEST PS4 PRO SOLUTION FOR INVENTORY CRASH

Yesterday the problem happened to me again. After start a New Game +, when I arrived Crow´s Perch, I went to the blacksmith repair my set of GrandMaster griffin and swords, and the problem of
Crash it happened to me again.
What I do to solve this problem is the following: after the game crashed, start the game normally ... continue ... loading and you're in the game again, pause the game, click save game and delete all automatically saved games, after deleting all, manually save the game.
Now let's go to the inventory: open the inventory, do not put the selector on any witcher master item (green color) if witcher items are already equipped you select any item in your inventory (equipment other than witcher) and press L3 to hide the letters, after hiding the letters, try to remove and re-equip master witcher items (always with the letters hidden to remove and equip master witcher equipment)
do not try to hide the letters from the witch master equipment, the game will crashed, You have to hide the letters with another item, other than master witcher. if you do not have the witch master items equipped, make the same, select any item and hide the letters then equip the witcher items, always with the letters hidden.
I did not realize it, but it seems to me that I always go to the blacksmith of the crow´s perch repair the master witcher set the game crashed. I'll look at this again and come back to warn you.
With this solution I can play always, whenever you game crash , you can do this and return to play without crash.
Hope this helps!!!

PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

skovacevic96;n10292562 said:
The program works or it doesnt work - bug occurs or it doesnt. There are hundreds of people talking about this bug but sadly not even 1% ever get to writing a ticket. The problem is identical to anyone so it is not a random occuring thing it is a problem that probably happens to everyone who:

1. Have a big inventory
2. Have ps4 pro and 1.50 patch
3. Have played a lot of hours

Being patient is what I was doing for the last 2 months. Ive sent tickets, wrote on this forum in my own thread and was eventually told someone is going to do something about it. I was waiting patiently 2 months and after time passed I concluded that no one is actually going to do anything about it. That is just sad as I would like to play Witcher and...

The developer wont even aknowledge they are having a problem they wont fix so we cant get a refund - we are stuck with a non-working product which we cant sell nor get our invested money back. I love CDPR as they are coming from a slavic eastern european country and when I play it I feel its something that belongs to my culture too and that is just super cool but its really a shame I cant do anything about it.

Jesi li iz zemalja bivse Jugoslavije ( are you from former Yugoslavia country)

Bracala;n10548872 said:
Jesi li iz zemalja bivse Jugoslavije ( are you from former Yugoslavia country)

No što no jesam, odakle bi drugo bio? :) Crna Gora od kamena do orla... Poljaci nas zajebavaju opasno. Odakle si ti?

Okay, so now I'm next in line with this super crash problem. For me it always happens in Novigrad no matter what I'm doing. Can't even do a story mission for like 20 min and it crashes again. Yesterday evening I avoided Novigrad for a couple of hours and it worked fine.....until I talked to the dwarven smith in Velen and it crashed again. Seriously if they don't fix it I'm gonna be pretty sad and rebuy it on Xbox one again. It'll be a shame because I was at 80% of my trophies and 50 hours in my New Game+

johnnydepp47;n10562492 said:
Okay, so now I'm next in line with this super crash problem. For me it always happens in Novigrad no matter what I'm doing. Can't even do a story mission for like 20 min and it crashes again. Yesterday evening I avoided Novigrad for a couple of hours and it worked fine.....until I talked to the dwarven smith in Velen and it crashed again. Seriously if they don't fix it I'm gonna be pretty sad and rebuy it on Xbox one again. It'll be a shame because I was at 80% of my trophies and 50 hours in my New Game+

Best thing to do is just keep the crash reports coming in to CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Please, if possible, include any error codes, and try to briefly summarize what you were doing in the game when it crashed. Thanks to everyone for your patience!

Top Bottom