Signs completely broken

+
Signs completely broken

I picked up Wild Hunt again after a long break, only to discover the Signs don't work. The R2 button is completely unresponsive. I've played other games and the button works fine, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the game data. There's no text response of "you can't do this" or anything like that. I press R2 and nothing happens. If anyone knows the cause or a fix for this, would greatly appreciate it. This basically breaks the game in it's entirety, can't even get past the tutorial.

Thank you!

Do you have a second controller so that you could try if signs work with that one?

For some reason Witcher 3 seems to be specifically picky with that R2 button.

Signed up for an account here just to address this.

I have the same problem. I played Witcher 3 for a good 30+ hours when it came out. Never finished it. Put it back in to give it a go. My signs did not work. Nor did the following:

Mounting Roach does not allow me to cast signs either during riding (to calm) or after dismounting.
Swimming and going back to land does not allow me to cast signs.
Using the Dimetrius Bomb on myself does not allow me to cast signs after.
Being hit / killed does not allow me to cast signs.
Meditating does not allow me to cast signs.
All saves, new and old, are equally affected.

I am able to swap sign "choices".
I receive no notice of "you cannot do that now" that others did years ago.
My R2 button works as I played Overwatch yesterday (and got my ass handed to me. LoL.)

And perhaps most surprisingly:
I uninstalled and played the base version of the game while downloading the update file. The "skin" of the game was totally different, as it was years ago. I approached the tutorial where I was, predictably, unable to cast Quen and thus unable to leave the tutorial. To me this indicates some odd interaction between the current version of the Playstation and the game itself, as why the hell else would the base build of the game be unresponsive now, years later, when I got 30+ hours into it years prior. (I could be absolutely wrong here, but it's a fascinating differential none-the-less)

Information:
CUSA: 00527
Disk copy. Not downloaded
I have no DLC

CDProjekt Red. You all are an amazing company with an incredible product that I was happy to find time to dive back into. I now find myself totally unable to progress in the game. Signs are a vital cornerstone of gameplay, even with the melee build.

Please help us find an answer.

Thank you.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
corinath You just have a faulty controller. The triggers are axis-based input, meaning they can return a value of anything between 0 and 1, or 0 and -1, say, a trigger pressed half way in should return 0.5 or - 0.5. There's where your problem lies, for this game to recognize a trigger input you have to pull it almost all the way down, say, like 0.8 at least, anything between 0 and 0.79 will be your "dead zone" . If for some reason (usually mechanical) your triggers can't return a value beyond the dead zone, then the game will just act as if nothing's happened, which is your case.

Now I can see an argument like, but my triggers work fine in other games! This, sadly, doesn't mean much, as most games will recognize input even with a slight touch of a trigger, especially shooters and racing games. You actually have to be "lucky" to find a game that also uses such a big dead zone for triggers as the Witcher 3.

In short, get a new controller. I 99% guarantee it will solve your problem. Borrow one from a friend first if you don't believe me, you'll see.

In any case, try running this input test on your controller.

http://html5gamepad.com

I don't know about PS4, but it works just fine on Xbox One in Edge. In any case, you can always connect your Dual Shock to PC and run the test there. Open the link, press something on your controller, wait a little for the site to hook it up, you'll know when it happens. When all's up and running pull your trigger all the way down and if it'll return anything lower than a perfect 1, which it will, you've got a faulty controller.

Last edited:
Returned a .55, so it seems you're right.

Why in god's name would they set the value so high for just firing off a non alternate sign?

Honestly, this is seems like one of the dumbest goddamn things ever. So now I have to buy another controller to play a game that played just fine two years ago when it's LITERALLY the *only one* having this issue?

Dumb.

Edit: In my frustration I forgot myself. Thanks for solving this. I maintain it's ridiculousness while acknowledging an outsider's perspective to this "decision" they made.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
corinath;n9197041 said:
Why in god's name would they set the value so high for just firing off a non alternate sign?

I've been wondering this myself and I think they did it to be extra safe as in an absolute majority of cases the triggers start to see some wear and tear at the low values, meaning they start to return 0.1+ instead of 0 when they rest. The opposite is quite rare. But again, they could have set it to 0.4 and be just peachy, anyone would notice something's wrong with their controller anyway at that point.

corinath;n9197041 said:
Honestly, this is seems like one of the dumbest goddamn things ever. So now I have to buy another controller to play a game that played just fine two years ago when it's LITERALLY the *only one* having this issue?

It is and it is not. A faulty controller must be replaced or fixed sooner or later, now you'll just do it sooner. Yeah, if you played some racing games, you'd have noticed the fault even earlier, your car would not be able to accelerate to full speed as a trigger at 1 is basically equal to "pedal to the metal".

Top Bottom