Merchant Crash

+
Here's another user terribly frustrated by the merchant crash post-1.50. After the patch it started crashing. Then I finished the main story and started NG+. Still crashing. Then I tried the suggestion of moving everything to stash, then traveling to another map, coming back and taking the inventory back. That was 90 minutes wasted. Then I deleted and reinstalled the game. That was more time wasted.

It's really quite terrible that this splendid game is now completely unplayable, with no known workaround. And it's worse that we seem not to be hearing about a fix.

Tech support responded promptly to my request for assistance. The suggestion for now is to reduce the size of the item information pane and refrain from using the "compare" feature. This seems to be working for me. One assumes a fix is under development.

Scrancher;n9676341 said:
I have posted to CDPR's tech support department, but is there other and better ways to contact them...

The Support link at the top of the page is the same as the links the moderators sometimes tack into their posts. That is the one...the only...CDPR Tech Support. :)

In terms of the bug cropping up, here's a bit more explanation on what is likely happening and why it occurs (as a super-simplified example to explain the logic issue -- not that this is exactly how it works):

I create a function in a game that says 1+1+1+4=7 [END]. I also create a function that goes 1+1+1=3 [END]. I plan on players doing things in that order. Later, I find that this creates a conflict, because when the time comes time to do the green function, it won't work if players did the red function in-game first. As soon as it gets to 1+1+1...it goes...=3 [END] and terminates the function. Nuts...a bug! So, I fix this bug by re-writing the second function to say 3+4=7 [END]. Problem solved!

But...what happens if someone already did 1+1+1+4=7 [END] before I fixed it with a patch? Well, the references in that player's save-state would still read according to the old formula, not the patched one. It's already done. The function is already complete in the game. The save-state already contains the old data. I...can't always fix that. Only new executions of the function will read 3+4=7 [END] like it's supposed to. Blast...no way around that.

The only thing I can do is prevent the problem from occurring, but there's nothing I can to to fix it if it's already happened. This is why things like dumping inventory-->travel-->pick up inventory fixes it for some people. The game is able to re-generate the items according to the new system and fix the conflict. But anything for which that cannot be done (because the item is unique, must maintain its data because of a quest, etc.) will simply have the "buggy code". In order to rectify that, I'll need to either a.) reload to a point before the bug first occurred or b.) start a new game. Things must execute the right way the first time they happen.

"Fixing it" (after it occurs) is now a matter of mathematical impossibility. Annoying, but as stated, this has been an issue since electronic gaming became a thing. But quantum computing is coming! (Can't wait to see what bugs are like then...)

Last edited:
Are you saying a new save is required? Wouldn't this mean that in order to begin a NG+ playthrough one would have to start from scratch with a blank playthrough? And customers are expected to be okay with this? Are you speculating or operating on the basis of actual knowledge of the underlying issue and CDPR's plans for resolution?

I've heard from CDPR support that no fix is planned. The only way to change this is to make a fix a priority. The only way to do that is to file a support request.

I also have this issue. I didn't even know that this 1.50 is for 4k support. I'm on PS4Pro, 4kHDR TV and GOTY edition. I got this inventory crashes here and there. Wrote to support and got answer to not compare item and don't magnify the description (which I dont do that). Tried to completely close off all description seem to work fine on my last night play for 2 hrs. But I was being very careful now. I did manual save every time before doing anything related to inventory. It's super frustrating. But so far seem this issue isn't happen if I play on 4k. Now I wondered how I can open 4k on my or it'd change to 4k automatically?

I don't know about anyone else, but these crashes are absolutely unavoidable for me. I have started a new game, gone back to old saves, tried to drop or stash my inventory (can't, it crashes!). While SigilFey's lengthy explanation of coding logic is undoubtedly interesting to some, I couldn't care less. I bought a game, and this patch broke it beyond any recognition. Fix it, roll it back, or give me my damn money back. Technical obstacles imagined by some forum moderator have zero relevance.

towercycle;n9713461 said:
I don't know about anyone else, but these crashes are absolutely unavoidable for me. I have started a new game, gone back to old saves, tried to drop or stash my inventory (can't, it crashes!). While SigilFey's lengthy explanation of coding logic is undoubtedly interesting to some, I couldn't care less. I bought a game, and this patch broke it beyond any recognition. Fix it, roll it back, or give me my damn money back. Technical obstacles imagined by some forum moderator have zero relevance.

Agreed. This crash is beyond acceptable. I crashed badly last night as I tried to dismantle my old swords. Crash every time. Cant' work around with hide description. With 100% reproduction on this critical bugs it totally unacceptable. SigilFey even compared with those other big RPG titles. But I never experience such a critical issue with 100% repro rate before.

Last night first i reduced the description font to small than i put all my stuff in the stash in novigrad and went naked to world map to find a stas in another place. Went there took all my stuff back and then returned to novigrad to continue my mission. I played for 2h and didnt get that stupid error. Today i will play longer and test the merchant and description again and if it doesnt crash i will come here to make my descovery. Hopes this helps someone.

Hello,

BEST PS4 PRO SOLUTION FOR INVENTORY CRASH

Yesterday the problem happened to me again. After start a New Game +, when I arrived Crow´s Perch, I went to the blacksmith repair my set of GrandMaster griffin and swords, and the problem of
Crash it happened to me again.
What I do to solve this problem is the following: after the game crashed, start the game normally ... continue ... loading and you're in the game again, pause the game, click save game and delete all automatically saved games, after deleting all, manually save the game.
Now let's go to the inventory: open the inventory, do not put the selector on any witcher master item (green color) if witcher items are already equipped you select any item in your inventory (equipment other than witcher) and press L3 to hide the letters, after hiding the letters, try to remove and re-equip master witcher items (always with the letters hidden to remove and equip master witcher equipment)
do not try to hide the letters from the witch master equipment, the game will crashed, You have to hide the letters with another item, other than master witcher. if you do not have the witch master items equipped, make the same, select any item and hide the letters then equip the witcher items, always with the letters hidden.
I did not realize it, but it seems to me that I always go to the blacksmith of the crow´s perch repair the master witcher set the game crashed. I'll look at this again and come back to warn you.
With this solution I can play always, whenever you game crash , you can do this and return to play without crash.
Hope this helps!!!

PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

Hi
​​​I was having the same awful problem as you guys so I ended up here to see if it was a problem of mine, but I see it's not. Tried it all and in the end, the game ends up crashing. So I registered here. In the last 4 hours, my game crashed 5 TIMES. 5. And since I started it this week, 7 more than these it happened. Currently playing it on PS4 Pro, GoTY edition, at it is really becoming insufferable. It is really ruining the whole awesome game experience I was having before. Please, find a way to fix that patch, delete it and remake it, do whatever is necessary for the game to WORK, please. I payed a big amount of money for something that is not working on any way and you're just telling people to "adapt" to goddamn unavoidable and annoying bugs. Seriously.

​​​​

Skeyblader;n10563562 said:
Hi
​​​I was having the same awful problem as you guys so I ended up here to see if it was a problem of mine, but I see it's not. Tried it all and in the end, the game ends up crashing. So I registered here. In the last 4 hours, my game crashed 5 TIMES. 5. And since I started it this week, 7 more than these it happened. Currently playing it on PS4 Pro, GoTY edition, at it is really becoming insufferable. It is really ruining the whole awesome game experience I was having before. Please, find a way to fix that patch, delete it and remake it, do whatever is necessary for the game to WORK, please. I payed a big amount of money for something that is not working on any way and you're just telling people to "adapt" to goddamn unavoidable and annoying bugs. Seriously.

​​​​

Join the club. Lots of others including me are waiting for a fix. CDPR knows about the issues and a fix is coming 'soon'. I would guess it would come out in the next 3-4 months.

TrishKrish;n10572792 said:
Join the club. Lots of others including me are waiting for a fix. CDPR knows about the issues and a fix is coming 'soon'. I would guess it would come out in the next 3-4 months.

>I would guess it would come out in the next 3-4 months.

Be careful what you wish for! lol :p

mark5916;n10577742 said:
>I would guess it would come out in the next 3-4 months.

Be careful what you wish for! lol :p

Haha :) Obviously I wish it comes out sooner but I don't want to be disappointed!

SigilFey;n9669761 said:
As usual, certain issues may arise or cannot be fixed unless you begin a new game under the new patch version. If that's not an option, try the old unequip everything --> dump inventory into stash --> transition to new area (e.g. go from Velen to Skellige) --> grab items from stash again.

That should create new instances of your items, and may avoid the crash.

I bought the game 2 weeks ago (GOTY for ps4 pro), It was already patched to 1.50 when I started playing. The inventory crashes started before I have ever surpassed the weight limit or used the item comparison feature. This bug is so frustrating that it spoiled the whole gaming experience for me. I will demand a full refund, because the game is unplayable.

Why they can't just rollback that obviously flawed patch on ps4 pro? It completely destroys the game.

Top Bottom