Inventory crash

+
Inventory crash

Hello,

Recently (a month ago or so) I have bought Witcher 3 game of the year edition. I already played Witcher 3: Wild Hunt but could not use that save game (meh that is another story) but passed over it. Whats the problem? This game keeps crashing whenever I open stash, inventory or the damn merchant browser. At first it was not happening, I was just a fellow guy playin main story and I managed to get through it with this bug which started happening somewhere at the middle of the main story. Got entire google searched about this but couldnt find the answer. I have 160 slots in my inventory and most of the time it gets full - I empty it and then go around kill stuff until my inventory gets full. Thats how I should play right? Well, I cant sell anything anymore nor I can repair my swords as this damn game crashes whenever I try it. Why is this? I mean its not fair, it is the second time I am buying this game and it became unplayable for me. Completely.

OK, before anyone smart says "ok but did you rebuild ok but did you reinstall" yes I actually did these things today and it still crashes whenever I enter inventory. I would really like my money back as the product I received is damaged.

Welcome to the Forusm, skovacevic96!

If the bug occurs reliably, it's almost always a matter of your save-state. Once it occurs, there is unfortunately nothing else to to do except the dump to stash --> travel --> retrieve from stash thing or simply avoid interacting with the borked inventory items. Beginning a new game and ensuring your inventory remains smaller is the only way to fix it if those stems don't work. It's simply a limitation of the engine: the game cannot handle extremely huge inventories and/or very long playthroughs on single characters. (Nor is there any reason to have that much in Geralt's inventory at one time -- you won't miss anything if you carry ~20-30 of each reagent / material at the same time and sell off all junk weapons / armor. If you do sell things off regularly, you'll always have the gold you need to buy whatever you're missing. :))

I get the distinct impression that the game was not meant for Bethesda-levels of hoarding. There weren't even stashes, originally. The issue, from what I understand by other members who managed to sort this out on PC, is that after the inventory gets big enough, the game is updated during the same playthrough enough times, or a player saves / reloads a certain number of times, the game starts to thrash some of the inventory IDs. Having a large number of inventory items makes the bug potentially more damaging if it occurs. (Read here if you're interested. A few members tracked down the issue, though the workaround will only be possible on PC.) It's actually not a "bug" as much as it is pushing the engine beyond its capabilities.

I know you as a moderator are not really at fault so I will be light on you. However, as I am myself a developer and a costumer also I dont take your response as satisfying as it should be. Why is that? Ive seen your answer on some other threads (the same problem) and as a moderator you treat people as fans not as persons who actually gave money for a stable version of a product which fails to deliver its part of the bargain. I gave top bucks for it and you must understand that I dont care why it doesnt work because all I care for is being able to play. Ive spent 70 hours on Witcher 3 and after a couple of months Ive bought GOTY edition only to realise I cant use the same save game - was said that sony is at fault and decided to play again just to reach the required level (and to regain skills) to play the expansions. Took me another 70 hours to do so. Cant play anymore. My inventory may or may not be full - thats entirely my choice. I signed a contract in the proccess of buying this game and no one stated that my inventory should be trimmed accordingly to bugs. You simply dont sell something which doesnt work 100% of the time - unless its a testing stage and people are aware of it. I cant do what are you suggesting - cant even open stash anymore it crashes every time I do it. I cant, shouldnt and wont start a new game as I already like my progress and a new game would be completely unacceptable. Dont get me wrong, I play my games as stress relief and to get this kind of stress because of one game is completely counter-productive.

If the developer of the game cant fix my problem then I am in a most humane way asking for a refund. All I need from you is to point me in the right way.

Sunsibar;n9868401 said:
If your game crashes all the time, you can try contacting Support and see if they can help you.
http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Try to give them as much information as possible, including what you have already tried to do to fix this.

OK, that sounds helpful. I did that, thank you. I am curious will I actually get a reply on this? How often do they read this stuff as I am aware that these tickets get sent all the time? I am not in a rush really all that it matters is for me to be able to continue my game but I really dont see how would they be able to help me as this is not a solo problem its clearly a global game problem that has been going on for 2 years judging by this forum. Its sad that no one made a workaround till now.

skovacevic96;n9868481 said:
I am curious will I actually get a reply on this?

Usually they answer within few days (working days), but after releases it has sometimes taken even two weeks because they have been buried under support tickets. So it depends how busy the support is at the moment, but as far as I know of, they have always answered to those tickets.

I don't know what the possible fix (or core of the issue) could be, since I never faced this problem myself during my 1000 hours of playing Witcher 3. There seems to be different issues which can cause inventory crashes (based on forum posts). Some inventory crashes on PS4 has been fixed with changing the font size, if I remember correctly, but it doesn't always help. SigilFey 's suggestion above has helped some people. Latest patch seemed to cause problems for some people, but I'm not sure if your case is related to that or to something completely different.

Hopefully the support will be able to help you somehow.

Sunsibar;n9868571 said:
Usually they answer within few days (working days), but after releases it has sometimes taken even two weeks because they have been buried under support tickets. So it depends how busy the support is at the moment, but as far as I know of, they have always answered to those tickets.

I don't know what the possible fix (or core of the issue) could be, since I never faced this problem myself during my 1000 hours of playing Witcher 3. There seems to be different issues which can cause inventory crashes (based on forum posts). Some inventory crashes on PS4 has been fixed with changing the font size, if I remember correctly, but it doesn't always help. SigilFey 's suggestion above has helped some people. Latest patch seemed to cause problems for some people, but I'm not sure if your case is related to that or to something completely different.

Hopefully the support will be able to help you somehow.

I had the problem for a while, hiding the description used to be helpful and I could play while doing it. Right now game crashes even if I hide the description clicking L3. I actually got an answer this morning from your support guys but they told me almost the same thing. Good stuff is that they ensured me they are working on a fix I guess.

It is frustrating. Before the last patch I would get a crash every now and then.
After the last patch the game crashes if I open my stash or talk to a merchant.
I Cant Sell Anything Because It Will Crash.I Guess I could just drop everything on The ground but honestly Its Not worth the effort. Game is Broke. ​​​

So apparently they are aware of this bug/crash issue and are working it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-patch-crashes

Just have to wait it out :/ my game started insta crashing after I made my griffin set. Will wait an play another game till they patch us back up. Has to be a memory leak tied into the new resolution check boarding. Cause that seems to be the big issue when you try to have big pop up item comparisons it just grinds it to a halt. My bet is the game glitches when trying to resize the fly out boxes in the new checkerboard resolutions. And since its forced and everyone has different resolutions not everyone will experience it.

So how long are they going to take to fix this? Game is broke. I can't sell to a merchant, I can't stash, thus I can't upgrade my armor. Gamebreaking bug. I would think they would have fixed this immediately.

mikeyj92;n9925751 said:
So how long are they going to take to fix this? Game is broke. I can't sell to a merchant, I can't stash, thus I can't upgrade my armor. Gamebreaking bug. I would think they would have fixed this immediately.

I understand how frustrating that must be but keep in mind that Witcher 3 is a huge game and patching it may take a while.

devivre;n9925921 said:
I understand how frustrating that must be but keep in mind that Witcher 3 is a huge game and patching it may take a while.

While I agree with this some, its been over 2 months now and for me and I know quite a few others, the game is unplayable. They are going to need to do something soon. For me my vendors crash on opening now, dont even need to compare items, crafting potions or bombs even cause enormous lag. Triple A game being literally unplayable is not a good thing.

This is becoming incredibly more frustrating as the pronlem has now happened 3 times within 10 minutes. In my stash, and outside if it.

The problem appears to be attached to whatever function calls for the item properties display. Whether it is the function itself or the drawing of the panel at fault, I do not know. It seems to act very much like a memory leak so maybe purging item properties data when exiting the inventory would be helpful?

it does not appear to happen as much (If at all) with potions, crafting, food, etc and mainly seems centered on the weapons/armor properties. I have reported this multiple times but viewing this and other stories on the web seems to indicate this is a long standing problem at this point and it appears the game is on a backburner status for bug fixes? I am hoping that impression is wrong as it is a phenominal game outside of game stopping bugs like this.

Geistprophet;n10173562 said:
This is becoming incredibly more frustrating as the pronlem has now happened 3 times within 10 minutes. In my stash, and outside if it.

The problem appears to be attached to whatever function calls for the item properties display. Whether it is the function itself or the drawing of the panel at fault, I do not know. It seems to act very much like a memory leak so maybe purging item properties data when exiting the inventory would be helpful?

it does not appear to happen as much (If at all) with potions, crafting, food, etc and mainly seems centered on the weapons/armor properties. I have reported this multiple times but viewing this and other stories on the web seems to indicate this is a long standing problem at this point and it appears the game is on a backburner status for bug fixes? I am hoping that impression is wrong as it is a phenominal game outside of game stopping bugs like this.

Welcome to the Forums, Geistprophet!

The issue is largely explained throughout this thread. Also, have a read on this thread for some of the technical stuff involved.

The problem is almost completely avoidable through "responsible gameplay habits". :p (Mostly: not hoarding.) If it hits, though, it can ruin your day.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm also just now after about 45 hours of game play getting this problem on my PS4 Pro in which the game crashes upon looking and comparing weapons and armor in a merchant window.

I'd like to say that this only happened once I created the Griffin armor or weapons pieces. (I tried all the usual fixes, reinstall, rebuild, etc.) So I did some testing and loaded a save right before I created them and no problems. If i remove the griffin items the problem also goes away. I tested it out in 4 different saves trying it with each piece and sword. They all cause the problem individually. It seems nothing else in my inventory causes this. Also to add I have been using what has been described as "responsible game play habbits". I may have carried a few items over 10 but generally sell all weapons and armor except for what I'm gonna wear and any stacks of crafting/alc over 10.

So i have to respectfully disagree that the problem (as im understanding and experiencing it) is avoidable by being "responsible". To me it seems maybe avoidable by trying to notice if this totally reproducible glitch happens and dumping the offending items.

Anyways, this apparently means I cannot use the sign / griffin build I had wanted to (or its a lil nerfed from not being able to have that specific armor). Sucky but not a deal breaker. I guess I'll soon be seeing if it has to do with all witcher gear bc that wud be a real shame. I had no problems with the Viper set back in white oak so that gives me a little hope.

Sent this off to support but I'm curious if it's the Griffin set for others too... I've seen it mentioned once or twice I forums.

best

amesh;n10243212 said:
Hi,

I'd like to say that this only happened once I created the Griffin armor or weapons pieces. (I tried all the usual fixes, reinstall, rebuild, etc.) So I did some testing and loaded a save right before I created them and no problems. If i remove the griffin items the problem also goes away. I tested it out in 4 different saves trying it with each piece and sword. They all cause the problem individually. It seems nothing else in my inventory causes this. Also to add I have been using what has been described as "responsible game play habbits". I may have carried a few items over 10 but generally sell all weapons and armor except for what I'm gonna wear and any stacks of crafting/alc over 10.

best

Have you tried any of the other witcher sets?

I had a couple of crashes after crafting the griffin set but it wasn't bothering me too much. Moved on to the feline set and just stored the griffin set but if I open the repair menu at a merchant it crashes every time. I'll try getting rid of the griffin set and weapons and see if that helps.

I suspect unfortunately that it might not since I believe the source of the issue may be related to the complicated and lengthy descriptions in those sets.

In another thread i spoke yesterday about how odd it was that I was able to get rid of all crashing problems by moving my save file to witcher on my original old ps4. Not sure what everything means but I'm probably just gonna give up on the game for now... don't wanna play on my old system. Really wish I hadn't bought the expansions I might never get to play.

Yea, I dismantled that set but still getting crashes. I'm in the same situation, my old ps4 sounded like a jet fighter when it was running the game but no crashes, stopped till I got a pro thinking it would run the game no problem.

Hopefully they patch it. They have fixed a lot of the problems beforehand but most of the team is probably working on cyberpunk now.

Its shame cause I never got into the game originally and was just starting to enjoy it and didn't get close to either of the expansions.

I'm in the EXACT same boat. Did you try hiding the description before going into the screen the crashes? My thought wud be that u cud hide all descriptions then repair.

Top Bottom