From Ofier's Distant Shores bug. Possible Spolier

+
It is Feb. 27th 2018 now and I am posting to let everyone know this bug has deffinately NOT been fixed. I am playing on version 1.50!! I Googled this bug and it took me to this thread dated to 2015.. You mean to tell me it's been 3 years and there still hasn't been a proper update fix? I loved this game and couldn't wait to start the expansions after completing the main story. What a complete disappointment to find out this is an ongoing problem for the past three years and without a fix. Perhaps a refund is in order? I've already emailed support. Unbelievable...

Apologies to all for the bug. I know it's really annoying when things like this interrupt the flow of a game, but I believe this is one of the bugs for which the cause cannot be found...or for which the fix would break other more important parts of the game. A catch-22, if you would. If the issue happens, I would recommend restoring to a saved game to a point before the quest appears in your journal (or at least before the bug first occurred) and carrying on with that playthrough. It's possible to begin a "new game" by starting Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine on its own. I know that's obviously not the way most people will want to play, but it should be able to get around the issue and let people experience the content, at least.

I'm with another guy that said to just add another chest beside the one there, or just on one of the guys in there, I don't really get y it's still not fixed years later...

Still no fix? I waited a while to play this game, since RPGs are usually buggy, and still nothing? It's hard to want to buy Blood and Wine after this has happened with the Wolf gear at Kaer Morhen too. Why cant a merchant or a new added chest have this? (like TheHFH recommended) Come on CDPR, everyone acts as if you guys are gods that saved gaming, this shouldn't even be a problem for you to implement.

Unfortunately, adding additional merchants or containers is not possible, as that would create issues elsewhere in the game.

I agree that the suggestions are perfectly logical at face value, but please, try to understand that something as simple as "just add this thing" is often far more complicated than it seems in a game. It's not as easy as simply clicking to add an item, especially not if it's a part of a larger quest that is, in turn, part of a larger series of interconnected events. In this case, adding a new chest or new merchant (or adding the items in question to existing merchants) is not possible. :(

I'm very sorry for players who encounter the bug. The only option if it happens is to reload and try the quest again, or play HoS as standalone (launch it directly from the Main Menu).

If I may make another suggestion, not one that deals directly with this issue, but something that seems to be involved in a range of various issues:

Try to ensure that as many processes as possible are shut down on the console while playing the game. Having community features like friend notifications, downloading or updating programs in the background (which I think is possible on both XBox and PS4), or simply being online can use up resources on the console. Since TW3 is quite intensive, running out of available resources (or not having them be readily available exactly when the game needs them) could be indirectly resulting in various things going wrong.

I'm seeing a pattern of conveniently similar problems arising on systems that do not have a lot of performance and resource overhead (namely, consoles and lower-end PCs). This is not claiming that the game does not work properly on these systems, but it's the simple reality that systems with slower processors and less RAM will wind up hitting a ceiling before systems with more. The game is quite demanding. If a system specs in closer to the minimum requirements than the recommended ones, and that system is also trying to multi-task...I have a hunch that this may be choking certain game functions. It's worth a shot to see.

The inventory overload issue will sometimes result in the game creating "invisible" inventory items. Some of these items can still be detected by a debugger, their icons, item descriptions, or both will be invisble and/or cause the game to crash when interactied with. It seems to be the result of an item ID being a value that is too large for the game to correctly record, or it is a conflicting item ID that already exists elsewhere in the inventory, and the copy cannot be "created" as a new item. In all situations, it seems that the less RAM is available, the more these issues tend to crop up. That would account for the "randomness" in the problem. Since consoles have relatively limited RAM, any background process could be tipping the scales just over the spilling point, and exacerbating such issues.

I connected the thought to this issue in particular, because a completely "missing" quest item would likely crash the game outright. But if the "missing" letters are actually present in the chest inventory but simply "invisible"...hopefully freeing up a little more RAM / a few more CPU cycles might help the system do its thing.

Last edited:
I thought at first maybe I was too low a level to get the stuff (I was level 21 when I started the quest) so I just killed the guys in there, then left and played several hours worth of other missions. Is there anything else that can be done besides reverting to another save? It's probably upwards of 6 hours I'd have to repeat, plus my save system is kid of screwed up so I don't even know which file I should go back to. EDIT: I'm on ps4, sorry I didn't realize this was the xbox section.

Last edited:
I'm also having the same issue on xbox version v1.60. I also tried from saved games quite a few times, it doesn't help.
I wrote to the support but has no answer so far.

(why I needed to answer around 30 captcha to post)

Last edited:
unkonxbox;n10767681 said:
(why I needed to answer around 30 captcha to post)

Sorry about the inconvenience with Captchas. There was a massive spam problem some time ago and this was the only way to stop it.

You may first want to write your message and fill the Captcha just before you post it. Not before you start writing. Maybe that helps?

Hello, as of 4/15/18 this glitch is still in affect, has anyone been able to get around it?
I really like this game and I can' get past this glitch to continue the quest, please fix this.

Casper10451;n10826381 said:
Hello, as of 4/15/18 this glitch is still in affect, has anyone been able to get around it?
I really like this game and I can' get past this glitch to continue the quest, please fix this.

If the issue is popping up as part the main game, reloading to an earlier point and playing again is the only thing that may get around it. (The source of the issue has never been found, as far as I know. :()

If that will not work, the only other option is to begin a standalone game of HoS from the main menu. (Never heard of this not working! :))

Guys, i got the same bug here, with Ofieri pages and wolf gear, I've already searched for a fix but can't find it, what I find is a pattern, this bug only occurs when you intall the DLCs after started to play the base game, this sucks, to have 100% of the game done I have to start a new game.

Sorry CDPR, I have all DLCs but stops here, love the game but I hate this lack of respect with customers.

Bought the dlc couple of days ago, and got stuck cause of the bug. I remember that I quited playing the game because of the bug with killing a werewolf in a quest, and when I killed him the game didn't recognize it and still told me to kill it, although it was dead (I read in this post that you solved this bug, and I'm aware of that because when I came back to play and did the quest again it worked this time). My friend convinced me to buy the dlcs and come back to play, and I'm very disappointed that the dlc still has bugs in it, although it was launched at least year and a half ago.
Please fix the bug as fast as you can.

Please fix the bug as fast as you can.
Apologies to all for the bug. I know it's really annoying when things like this interrupt the flow of a game, but I believe this is one of the bugs for which the cause cannot be found...or for which the fix would break other more important parts of the game. A catch-22, if you would. If the issue happens, I would recommend restoring to a saved game to a point before the quest appears in your journal (or at least before the bug first occurred) and carrying on with that playthrough. It's possible to begin a "new game" by starting Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine on its own. I know that's obviously not the way most people will want to play, but it should be able to get around the issue and let people experience the content, at least.

12 August 2018, this is confirmed STILL bugged in 1.60 on PS4. I reloaded and played the segment four times with consistent results. All of the other set diagrams had already been hunted down and this was the last piece to the puzzle. Incredibly disappointing, to say the least.

I paid full price for this expansion and, of the two major sidequests, only one is functioning. That's a 50% success rate. This isn't a BS "guarded treasure" question mark or something, it's a bonafide expansion quest. To make matters worse, to my knowledge, this quest has several other branching subquests that are also now inaccessible. Starting a completely different standalone game is hardly a satisfying solution with so many hours put into this file, and skipping it entirely is a non-solution. The parade of excuses I read on the previous eight pages are weak and unconvincing, especially with some of the provided suggestions. I don't intend to sound entitled here, I'm just genuinely baffled and frustrated at CDPR's total QC failure followed by their unwillingness to transparently work towards a solution.

This bug is still a thing as of v. 1.62 (10/22/18) kinda annoying but I still love the game. Would love this to be fixed so I can fully enjoy all the content that CD Projekt RED has made for us!

Top Bottom