From Ofier's Distant Shores bug. Possible Spolier

+
Playing on Xbox one and the quest seems to still be bugged. I tried looting the chest in the bandits' underground hideout just to find out that the diagram and letter aren't there!

Come on, CD Projekt Red!! When are you going to fix this?! I want to complete this quest! :(​​​​

Just bought the game a month ago, and I am stuck on this as well. Game fully updated all expansions and adons installed. Fix this please.....

After two years you can still buy this extension, start with a new game and get the same bug (no diagram in the chest). You find hundreds of searchs results with Google about this (in several languages worldwide) and it is pretty clear: CD Project Red does not care. There is no team to fix this, there is no interest to find a working solution (like making a mearchant selling the missong object). And no, I don't want to play again something that I have just played in a stand alone version where it might work.

I don't understand why a company creates such a good game and then frustrates so many peolpe with a bug that could get fixed in several ways without touching any dependencies around it. This frustration will be mentioned if someone asks me about the game.

I just bought the expansion pass and ran into this bug... I am shocked! There has been plenty of time to kill this bug, and it is not even a difficult one at that.
Witcher 3 is a great game so that they choose to ignore this for so long is a disgrace!
I actually feel ripped off and will tell fellow gamers to think twice before buying a game from this developer :(

Heart of stones side quest From Ofier's Distant Shores bug.

I am not the first one to stuck in this side quest when the intended items couldn't be found in the chest.
There're TONS of people asking about this issue and it's been 2 YEARS already but there's still be no fix.
So I wonder what is going on with CD projekred? You don't care to fix this because your game has been praised to the point you think you don't give anymore about your customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced this bug as well, for what it's worth. I could understand the lack of a patch if the bug had only been discovered recently but this literally goes back as far as the expansion's release. It blocks you out of a trophy/achievement, it prevents access to gear, and it means a dead quest will be sitting in your quest log for as long as you wish to play on that save, so it's shocking that this hasn't been patched. I'm lucky because I have a backup save just before I started HoS, so I can hopefully​ get it later on. However, I'm still going to have this useless quest sitting there throughout the rest of HoS and all of BaW. If this was a rare bug I'd be more understanding, but judging by the number of complaints, it seems you're lucky if you DON'T experience it. Thus if left unpatched, this is going to be THE bug that will continue to effect new players for generations to come.

Sorry to all that are experiencing this, but there simply are some issues left in the game. They boil down to two basic scenarios from what I understand: a.) the actual source of the bug could not be found, even though the developers thought they had nailed it down numerous times, or b.) the "fix" would have broken other parts of the game (e.g. there is a big pillar blocking the hallway, but it's holding up the roof...take it down, and the roof will cave in...leave it up and the hallway is blocked.)

Such things occur when dealing with 1,000,000+ lines of code from what I hear. ;) Furthermore, certain bugs are fixed, but the fixes are not retroactive, and that requires a new game to be started under version 1.32. Especially if players began their present playthrough in prior versions, then updated multiple times, it can leave the game "trapped" in places (though there are usually workarounds).

For anyone experiencing this particular bug, it does seem to crop up randomly, and I think it's of the "source can't be found" variety. Try to follow these steps to get by it:

1.) Reload to a point before the quest appears in your journal, and play through again.

2.) Do not fast travel after the quest begins (unless you need to change regions or something). Just Roach it everywhere.

3.) If you think something odd may have happened, immediately reload to your last save and try again. Better to lose 5 minutes now than have to go further back later.

4.) Ensure you are "following the road". Hit all check points, Witcher-sense hotspots, etc. and try to ensure you're doing them "in order". No shortcuts if the quest is giving you trouble.

5.) If all else fails, simply reload at the point you're stuck over and over again. On PC, this has managed to get me past -1 level enemies, non-responsive NPCs, and a couple of stuck chests, even though my record for consecutive reloads was over 20 in one instance.

Hello I just bought the game four weeks ago and the expansions a week ago. I experienced the same bug in my first playthrough. However the hearts of stone standalone playthrough did not give me the bug and I was able to finish the quest provided I finish the distant shores quest in one go as soon as it appears on my journal. I have read the moderators solutions and did not fast travel until I finished it.

I don't want to lose my original playthrough as I had put a lot of time and energy into it and I don't have a save from before the "ofier's distant shores" quest appeared on my journal that doesn't go at least 10 Levels back on my character.

my question is after I start the new game plus and do everything right, can I succeed in this quest like the standalone playthrough? Has anyone done this as I remembered reading someone typing they were successful at level 82 or something on their new game plus playthrough inspite of encountering the bug in their original playthrough.

Thank You

I can't promise anything since I never experienced this bug myself, but if I had other bugs in my games, those worked in NG+. Hopefully this will do that too.

Same issue on PS4 and it's incredibly frustrating. I love the game and was happy to spend money on the expansion, but not if I can't complete It!

Mmm, im just playing my NG+, I dont want to play NG+ again..., I will try playing only HoS for de trophies, but, its posible to make de armor without The Master Blacksmith? Thanks

juankinef;n9356711 said:
but, its posible to make de armor without The Master Blacksmith?

It's possible to craft armor up to Superior. You must have access to a Master Armorer / Blacksmith to get the Mastercrafted and Grandmaster levels.

Quest-breaking bug in Hearts of Stone expansion

Hello, I just bought and installed the Expansion Pass for this awesome game on my xbox one yesterday, and about half an hour into the expansion I encounter this problem. The quest is "From Ofieri's Distant Shores" and right now I am tasked with finding a diagram in an underground Bandit's camp.

So, I defeated the bandits and now I need to search their camp, which I did. I found a diagram for this sword that started with an S (forget the name) in a chest with a couple other runes, etc, but nothing else. The quest did not update, and I see no other possible chests to loot in the cave, what's going on? I tried looking online and saw other people having this problem when this dlc launched back in 2015, is there still no fix two years later? I am running the latest version of the game on xbox one as of 26 Aug 2017, any help would be appreciated.

LaughingCircus1;n9375721 said:
any help would be appreciated.

I merged your post together with other ones.

We have a pretty lengthy thread about this on PS4 side: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...m-ofier-s-distant-shores-bug-possible-spolier

You might want to check that for possible solutions, although this quest might be impossible to fix in your current playthrough. It might work in NG+, or you might get it to work with replaying from the point where the quest hasn't started yet.

I came back to Witcher after a few months to restarts HoS, but encountered this bug again. I took everything from the chest in the bandits' hideout, but no diagram and the quest is stuck. I can't believe they haven't fixed it!

Last edited:
2 years and still can't fix this bug? I stopped for a while in patch 1.31 because this bug halted my playthrough. Now we are on patch 1.50 and the bug still exist. :(

Playing on PS4 here.

As SigilFey stated above, unfortunately, there are certain bugs which the REDs could never entirely resolve in all of the various conditions in the game, especially if a player is using a save which underwent numerous patches. Sometimes, starting over entirely can clear a bug.

Top Bottom