Playing Witcher 1 after I played Witcher 3 and then Witcher 2

+
Playing Witcher 1 after I played Witcher 3 and then Witcher 2

As you can see from the title I am playing Witcher 1 as the last in the trilogy. I loved so much Witcher 3 that I decided to play all the others. I also am reading the books by Sapkowski. I read the first one and now I am reading the Sword of Destiny.

I must say the story is interesting and surprising again. Witcher 2 is pretty decent and it looks good while Witcher 1 really looks bad. I can get over everything but the fighting and it is just terrible. In Witcher 2 it is pretty well done and they obiously they learned from their mistakes. I am still surprised that the team that made Witcher 1 made Witcher 3. It just stunning how they developed and from pretty obsolete boring game they made such a master piece as Witcher 3. Well done!

I just wanted to say I would never play Witcher 1 if I had not played W3. Now I am hooked and I want to see the origin of all events and characters that appear in W3.

Last edited:
In order to fully appreciate and comprehend all of the work, effort, and love that CDPR has given their games you must read the books and play all of the games. The Witcher 1 was a very good game for it's time. The combat is quite clunky by today's standards, but the story, dialogue, and overall feel of the game correctly portrays the setting(s) and situations. AoK, however, was another beast on it's own. Everything CDPR did right in the first game was magnified and made exponentially better. The combat was turned on it's heels and created the foundation for Wild Hunt.

In short, suffer the first game and try to enjoy it. Witcher 2 will come easy, and the books... well, you won't be able to put them down. Having read most of the books myself, I can say that some scenes that had me choked up beforehand would have made me shed plenty of tears had I read them before playing the games. It's a large world, with very deep, emotional bonds between the characters that you can feel yourself.

The games, the books... this is what art feels like.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7641300 said:
Witcher 1 is nowhere boring. Did you even finish the game?

I did finish W2 and it is quite good. Fighting is awesome and the graphics looks really good even according to today's standards. I was hooked fast and finished it after I played W3. In W1 I got to chapter 3 and I am determined to finish it cause I am in love with Geralt (not in a romantic way, though). But I still think the fighting is the worst part of the game. The story is good but kinda feels a bit streched with this Salamandra seeking. It doesn't feel exciting as in other two games. But yet again I want to finish it to have all the aspects of the story.

Last edited:
NICK.ALTMAN;n7645670 said:
But I still think the fighting is the worst part of the game. The story is good but kinda feels a bit streched with this Salamandra seeking. It doesn't feel exciting as in other two games.
These are two points which have been most often criticised by newcomers to the game. Although an interesting concept, the fighting system requires a bit more time and patience, and is not to everyone's taste. As for the story, I believe even the developers have admitted it's a bit repetitive in places, thus their efforts to avoid dull 'back and forth', or 'fetch quests', in the later games. Glad you're sticking with it, though!

sv3672

Forum veteran
It gets somewhat tedious around the parts in the swamps (Chapter 2), but the story becomes better again in the second half of the game.

Riven-Twain;n7659520 said:
Ay, those swamps can be a bit of a slog -- which, ironically, makes them rather effective as swamps.
Well put, sir.

I could not get past the introduction chapter in Kaer Morhen. The damned combat just sapped any and all interest and desire to play the game I had. Once I build my new PC I'll buy AoK and Wild Hunt on Steam/GoG and give them all a chronological run... I should be able to make some better decisions since by the time I complete my build I should have read all of the books.

Hart95;n7660780 said:
Well put, sir.

I could not get past the introduction chapter in Kaer Morhen. The damned combat just sapped any and all interest and desire to play the game I had. Once I build my new PC I'll buy AoK and Wild Hunt on Steam/GoG and give them all a chronological run... I should be able to make some better decisions since by the time I complete my build I should have read all of the books.

You are ready for the ride of your life!

SPOILERS!

I finally got to Chapter V. At some point chapter IV was so boring I almost quit. It seems that the things are finally heating up when I got back to Vizima. Also I can see things shaping up for Witcher 2.

NICK.ALTMAN;n7662750 said:
You are ready for the ride of your life!
I am, and I can hardly wait. I already know everything that happens in all the games, but when I play it all myself I manage to tap into my imaginative reserves and completely immerse myself in it. I create an entirely new story in my head. It's a blessing and a curse, as some scenes and events evoke such strong emotions that it's almost painful.

Well I finally finished Witcher 1. Last chapter and prologue were pretty dynamic and interesting. I got a feeling it is a much longer game than Witcher 2. There is much of the story inside with the Ithillene Prophecy and all the settings of the later games. Maybe if the fighting wasn't so obsolete the game would be much better. But finally I did it. I am glad for it cause I have played all 3 games. W3 remains my favorite game of all times. Now I can replay it on Death March!

After a long time I start playing again and I played Witcher 1 first last year, before that I never heard of the Witcher series. Than I read all of the books and I was totally hooked on it. A month ago I started the Witcher 2 but there is one thing what is a disappointment for me. Everithing is fine but the changed face of Geralt is woe for me! I gave up W2 and started again W1 but with a strongly modded way:

https://www.gamingboulevard.com/2015/05/special-lets-mod-the-witcher-enhanced-edition/

I saw the W3 trailers. My eyes swiming with tears, so beautiful. But that face. It's like a different man. Not Geralt! I'm sorry to say but for me Geralt will be the witcher from the first game, not from the other two.

hiuuz;n9952531 said:
But that face. It's like a different man. Not Geralt! I'm sorry to say but for me Geralt will be the witcher from the first game, not from the other two.
A few people have attempted to modify the face, to be more faithful to the first game, with various degrees of success. This one is one of the more talented attempts, although still not quite there, I'd say.

TW1 Geralt looked like a mutant. Loved it. TW1 cinematics geralt are trully dope. In TW3, it's a regular human with white hair. Pretty meh... I suggest you try some face mods, but non will look like TW1

Anyone knows who is she?
272314-werecat.jpg

hiuuz;n10138452 said:
Anyone knows who is she?
She figures into the adventure 'The Price of Neutrality'. These side adventures are worth a look, if some players have never noticed them before.

Oh Man! I played through only the main story. I didn't think that the side stories has so important new NPC-s! I must look after them! Damn I'm so stupid :)

Top Bottom