Talents - info, recommended [SPOILERS POSSIBLE]

+
Actually only the upgrades don't stack. Bonuses from main tree in sword styles stack ie. armor penetrations from strong style.

I'm a bit confused with igni. I have all the Igni things you can get for bronze, and from my expeircine I get a fireball only if I use the sign on 2 with powerup. Isn't the power up unnecessary? The fireball seems less efficient then the normal uncharged version of the sign, so why should I take it?

Nsis said:
I'm a bit confused with igni. I have all the Igni things you can get for bronze, and from my expeircine I get a fireball only if I use the sign on 2 with powerup. Isn't the power up unnecessary? The fireball seems less efficient then the normal uncharged version of the sign, so why should I take it?
You're right. Less efficient.... ,but it does offer you distance. :peace:

56236 said:
56236 said:
Thanks for answering but, maybe its doing more damage with each upgrade? And does the distance grow with levels? If not I think I might pass the powerups and save the points :)

Nsis said:
Nsis said:
Nsis said:
Thanks for answering but, maybe its doing more damage with each upgrade? And does the distance grow with levels? If not I think I might pass the powerups and save the points :)
Sorry for the late reply... I was MIA for the past week.Igni does give extra distance with each power-up... though the damage stays the same. Incineration probability I found to also increase, but I never found it statistically shown.My best bet is to just play around with a fully power arsenal of Signs over the Sword styles to fully learn and appreciate them. Maybe you'll learn some new things? :peace:

Max the Aard, PWNAGE for almost all high level mob...It is a good way to push back your enemy to a considerable distance when you are being inflicted pain(means you cast enemy Aard just a second before you suffer Pain).For all sword style, it is not necessary to learn all as the later monster will tend to interrupt your chain much more often.Dexterity tree is a bit overrated, it need to be pair up with stamina for greater benefit.Among all the styles, Group steel is the least, human type enemy tend to interrupt you more than monster do, and it is very difficult to do a full chain of Group Steel.

I just noticed something recently. Maxing out on Yrden would put a stop to any surrounding mob.Just some friendly advice for those wanting to butcher them mobs constantly surrounding you with 1 shot :dead:

I decided to try Yrden last night after reading parts of this thread.With a little planning and thinking it is fairly nasty out of box with out any added points. I am going to need to add some to it the next few levels.What does powering this one up do? Make it bigger? Range?Standing right behind it I let some mobs run up to me, then used Igni to knock them back over it (and set them on fire) so they would run up to me again. With a few swings here and there it did considerable damage.Or just fighting them and staying in place so the mob stands on it was ugly too.*Edit*OH and, as a new player working though chapter two I found this thread to be very useful.I like to be efficient in the use of my skill points and creative and effective in how I use powers. Some of the talent descriptions left me scratching my head and this threat clarified a lot.I might not have realized how to use Yrden and how some of the abilities, particularly for the weapon groups stacked (or don't stack as the case may be)My particular play style tends to be a mage type in most games. And when possible a mage with some weapon skill to fall back on. For my first run though I think I am going to sink as much in signs as possible and try to do as much as I can with them. Of course there are times when the sword is simply the best tool to use :)*Edit* I've been testing Yrden some more and reread the game book. I am finding the just placing it on the ground will damage mobs, despite the book saying it has to be powered up to do damage. Its great dropping it in front on me, then forcing mobs to cross it multiple times. Question to anyone who has used it more, the powered up version seems to be instant cast radius effect and so far has not stayed on the ground for me. Is that the case? Does it get changed from a trap to a PBAOE direct damage + status effect spell?

TheElfBoy said:
Question to anyone who has used it more, the powered up version seems to be instant cast radius effect and so far has not stayed on the ground for me. Is that the case? Does it get changed from a trap to a PBAOE direct damage + status effect spell?
I've been playing with it some more.I have a strange thing happening I hope someone can let me know how to work with the effect or work around it. (it may be a bug)Sometimes when I have Yrden selected and just tap the right mouse button it casts the powered up version. I even see the little power up meter flash on the screen. Sometimes it just casts the normal version like it should.It seems to be related to if I have recently cast the lesser version and if all the charges havnt been used up. I can understand not wanting to let the player drop a bunch of traps (specialy before combat), however I believe a more elegant way to handle the situation would be to dispel the first one and cast the second.One thing that makes it even more annoying is the previous cast of Yrden with unused charges might be in a previous zone, like I had used it in the sewers and now I am in the swamp.Can anyone provide input on this?

For those wanting to focus on fighting not magic--the group styles will cause stun, bleeding and knockbacks and lotsa nasty damage at higher levels. It is possible to use them for crowd control the same as using signs. I maxed out groups and attributes first. That way, I had time to figure out which baddie to tackle first while I was knocking them back.I'd suggest the devs did this so there was player choice between heavy magic or fancy swordplay.I put little into signs except Aard [all bronze], Igni [all 5 by the end] for crowd control and mopped up the game on "normal" with minimal damage and no fancy potions/oils/bombs except Maribbor Forest [endurance] and Swallow before the fights--even the bosses with the odd Raffertys and White Owl to detoxify.Also, buy a LOT of grindstones/diamond dust because you don't have to muck about figuring out what to put on your swords--just have at 'em. Saves money and time on figuring out which oils.By the end of the game I was shoving bronzes into signs I never used so be generous with bronzes. Silvers and gold--you want to be more discrete.I had more money than I could use. Always have some swallow down your gullet. It lasts quite a while so might as well take advantage of it.For n00bs--this is a my less complicated style than worrying about lots of potions, oils and bombs.

You know, I've never used any oils or bombs in any of my playthroughs. I focus on getting intelligence, dexterity, strength, and stamina leveled out at a sort of balanced pace. I also do this with the swords, and make sure I have the bronze filled for all the styles. Then I max out Igni and Aard. I don't touch any of the intoxication or fistfighting skills. (You can right click-left click really fast and your opponent won't have a chance to hit you. They usually go down in four or five hits.) I don't bother with the other signs because I don't have any need for them. I rarely use potions, too. Sometimes I'll down a Swallow, but I try to keep a stack of food in my inventory and let Geralt rest for a bit. (Doesn't hurt to rest my hands for a while either.) I'm playing on Hard, and I have yet to die, although I've come close one or twice. Just got to chapter 4 and it's working really well for me. I think on my next game I'll focus on all of the things that I avoid and see how well that works. Bombs and Yrden sound fun.

Ok so I am a little bit confused with the amount of talents... From what some of the guys say here, even if you reach level 50 and make all potions from special ingredients (such as Koschey heart etc) you will not earn all talents? Then why have more? So that we have the choice to "customize" our Witcher? Even though some upgrades are quite usefull, some other "characteristics" that are gained via the talents, are not visible in fights and they will not be used regularly...
Such as: the ability to draw from places of power twice a day.... even though I can use it one or two times, I still have the potions to help me...

ritualassassin said:
Ok so I am a little bit confused with the amount of talents... From what some of the guys say here, even if you reach level 50 and make all potions from special ingredients (such as Koschey heart etc) you will not earn all talents? Then why have more? So that we have the choice to "customize" our Witcher?

Yes, exactly.
Basically you can decide to focus your witcher on magic more than combat or alchemy instead. On my last palythrought (a few days before W2 releasing) I gave Geralt only three level of combat talents (in the silver sword) and put the rest on Intelligence and signs (Igni, Aard and Quen). A very satisfying playing, I guarantee. Even though you suffer a bit in Act I and II.

Even though some upgrades are quite usefull, some other "characteristics" that are gained via the talents, are not visible in fights and they will not be used regularly...
Such as: the ability to draw from places of power twice a day.... even though I can use it one or two times, I still have the potions to help me...

It mostly depends on how you play: sometimes Places of Powers are useful if you are far from any campfire and can't meditate for example. Say that your swallow\tawny owl time ends in the middle of the swamp, when you are surrounded by monsters and you wanna kill em all to gain xp. If your toxicity is too high and you have no white honey in the inventory, a Place of power could be handy. But mostly, Place of Powers are to enhance your sign intensity to the maximum. They make you signs more effective, especially when you are in the swamp hunting for kikimore warriors or wyverns, or cemetaurs... all those nasty but better worthy xp monsters. In that case, using a Place of Power twice per day is more than vital.

Max out intelligence, stamina, igni, aard and you become an insanely powerful mage. If you take tawny owl, you will be unstoppable, you can basically igni spam your way through a battle.

the pure truth.
with the correct build, you can spam 3 ignis in a row and clean a room.
Igni is the ultimate exploit of TW1.

Top Bottom