[ACT I] Stuck in Cave

+
Tommy,When I am on the main launch screen, I select "Check for Updates" and it sends me to The Witcher 2 main page and after digging around I downloaded the 1.5 patch for the original witcher, but I get the error shown here (http://home.comcast.net/~lowrider2112/img/Witcher1_5patchError.jpg) which prevents me from installing it. I've tried various compatibility settings, run as admin, etc., but I keep getting the error. So, I am still currently on the 1.4 EE patch. Truthfully, I'm not 100% sure I got the correct 1.5 patch.Corylea,Still unsuccessful. I tried reloading previous saves, but it didn't help. I even went back to a save before the ghoul crypt and verified I could use Aard on all the breakable passages in there and played until I got stuck in the cave. There's just something about that wall in the cave that makes Aard fail. I wonder if it is some 3D geometry issue, because I noticed that no matter where I point Aard, it seems to cast near the bottom of the wall.So, I have two saved games for you to try out, one is before going into the house with the trap door and the other is with Alvin in the cave, stuck. You may download them here (http://home.comcast.net/~lowrider2112/the_witcher/saves.rar). They are in WinRAR format. If you don't have WinRAR you can download it here (http://home.comcast.net/~lowrider2112/bin/wrar370.exe).If I end up using a saved game past the stuck point, will I be using someone else's character essentially, with different inventory, skill assignments, etc.?Thanks for your help.

Try the 1.5 patch from http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/07/31/download-the-witcher-directors-cut-patch/I will also try downloading the latter save to see if i can get past the wall and if so then email it to you EDIT : saved games downloaded and installed . It seems you have a problem as when you enter the cave there should have been some stolen equipment there but there isn`t any . Are these the only 2 saves you have ? If it is then i see two alternatives replay the chapter or ask for someone`s saved game . If you opt for the saved game then yes you would be playing someone elses character build but since it`s act 1 you wouldn`t be that far in so for most of the game it would be your own buildIf these are not the only ones you have then you might try loading a way earlier save and retry

LowRider2112 said:
So, I have two saved games for you to try out, one is before going into the house with the trap door and the other is with Alvin in the cave, stuck. You may download them here (http://home.comcast.net/~lowrider2112/the_witcher/saves.rar). They are in WinRAR format.
I downloaded your saved game and tried it, and yep, using Aard doesn't unblock it for you. But I've made a fix for you. It should work for you and for anyone else who has this problem.
If I end up using a saved game past the stuck point, will I be using someone else's character essentially, with different inventory, skill assignments, etc.?
Yes, that's right. That's why I wanted to try to make a fix for you, so you could continue with YOUR game.Attached at the bottom of this post (you have to be logged in to see it), is a zipped file folder. Download that, unzip it, and put all of it in your Override folder. If you haven't got an Override folder, just make one. The Override folder does NOT go into the Witcher folder where your saved games are; it goes in the Witcher folder where the game data is. This is The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data.Once you've put the files in your Override folder, start up your saved game and wait 5 - 10 seconds. You'll be given a new scroll; you should get a message on your screen that says "Received Cave Unblocker Scroll," like this: (Click on the picture to get it at a more useful size.)
Now open your inventory. You should have a new scroll in your inventory, like this: (Click on the picture to get it at a more useful size.)
Read that scroll, and it will destroy the object that's blocking you, just the way Aard was supposed to. Once the way is open, the kids start to file through. Here's a picture of the opened area: (Click on the picture to get it at a more useful size.)
Just go ahead, and when you come out into a new room of the cave, you'll see someone you know, who will talk to you. The story will pick up normally.I tested this on your "Cave" saved game (didn't try it on the other one), and it worked fine.Once you have opened the way, you can drop the scroll -- you won't need it anymore. You can also take all of the files I gave you out of your Override folder; you don't need them anymore, either.
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. This is a great game, and I want you to be able to enjoy it!Also, while I made the scroll and the script it runs that destroys that wall, the def_arealoaded.ncs script that runs when the area loads -- which is what makes it possible to give you stuff when you're in the middle of the game -- is courtesy of J_Slash, so thanks to him, too.As for anybody else who has this bug in the future, this fix should work for you, too, but make sure you actually HAVE this bug before downloading the stuff. Only use this if Alvin has come up to you and said something like "That wall over there looks thin, like we could break it down." Using it at the wrong time could mess up your game. Use the Aard on the blocker if that works, and only use this scroll in those rare instances where the Aard doesn't work.Oh, and this is specific for this PARTICULAR blocker, the one in the cave in the Outskirts. If you have trouble with Aard anywhere else, this won't help you.Have fun!!

Corylea,I can't thank you enough for the extra mile you went to fix my gameplay issue. I even get to play as my own character! That meant a lot to me. It seems others will benefit as well if they get in this same situation... bonus!So, yes, it worked like a charm, or scroll I should say. :)I don't want to spoil anything, but I've enjoyed the next part of the storyline in the Outskirts and the guard just let me pass into the city.Funny thing, I forgot to remove the Override directory contents and my inventory was full and I went into every house before I left Outskirts to do one finale search and the scroll was dropped everywhere. There must have been a dozen of them at least before I realized I had not removed the scripts as you told me to.Indeed, this is a very good game, which I am enjoying again thanks to you.I'm looking forward to turning off the lights, cranking the 5.1, and slashing some monsters this weekend.

LowRider2112 said:
I can't thank you enough for the extra mile you went to fix my gameplay issue. I even get to play as my own character! That meant a lot to me. It seems others will benefit as well if they get in this same situation... bonus!
You're welcome!
Indeed, this is a very good game, which I am enjoying again thanks to you.
I think it's the best RPG ever made. Unfortunately, because it's the first game ever out of a new Polish developer, it's not as well known as it should be. It's really something, special, though -- a mature, thinking-person's RPG. And I don't use "mature" to mean "sex and violence," as some people do, since I don't think those things constitute maturity. It's a game with depth, nuance, and ambiguity, and it can be hard to play lesser RPG's after experiencing this one.

Hi, sorry for bothering you but I have the same problem. I read the article fix but i cant find the zipp file with the fix.

Thans for qick response.

I've just faced this exact same problem and think I have a fix.

I believe the glitch is caused by getting Alvin's speech about the Barghest in Abigail's hut before you have gained the trust of the three villagers and spoken to the Reverend about it.

I went back to an earlier save, gained the trust of the three villagers and spoke to the Reverend before going to see Abigail about the Barghest and it all worked perfectly.

Lost a couple of hours of gametime but this is better than starting the whole game over again. Hopefully this helps others because I just spent ages fiddling around trying different things.

Top Bottom