Posh party constant crash (steam EE version)

+
Posh party constant crash (steam EE version)

I keep crashing at the posh party. everything up untill now have run perfectly, maybe 4 or 5 crashes in the hours leading up till now.

I have the steam version
I have tried the IFO solution, and the compability mode settings etc
Tages
i have updated drivers
UAC disablet
run it from steam and from the witcher directory
AV disablet

after i tried the IFO solution, i tried deleting all the save files from the temp directory, but still i keep crashing 15 secs to 4 mins into the game. (posh party area only)
ive tried loading an earlier save, but once i reach the posh party (once you reach the Adda quest part), i starts crashing again.
For some reason i want it to be a dialogue file thats the cause of this, but i dont know if you can delete those tempdialogue files.

I cant seem to find a file called errorlog in any related withcer directory.

Im open to suggestions on how to get this fixed.

Can you email me a save to just before you enter the party . Posiible save glitch is the reason i`m asking . As far as I can remember I have never crashed at or during the party .

I have run an eartlier save, and it ran for nearly 90 mins before crashing, this time i stayed away from the inn.

its the same error i get every time (still looking for how to get the withcer own error log)

Faulting application name: witcher.exe, version: 1.5.0.1304, time stamp: 0x4910475c
Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcddbf3
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x000355cf
Faulting process id: 0x1dbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceabf949227e26
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\system\witcher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll

ive tried reinstalling the C++ 2005, but honestly, i feel 99,99999999999999 its not the actual error, the amount of other games ive played that uses the 2005 files is rather large, and not a single one have crashed on me.

im very open to ini file editing, deleting temp files that will be recreated on game startup, registry hacks, Nvidia hacks etc, but please no "its a hardware issue" suggestions.

Is there any difference between the GoG and Steam version?
Ive tried with and without virtual memory
ive checked how hot the graphic cards are, and they are under 71 celsius when the game crashes.

Win 7 64bit
12GB RAM
SLI Nvidia 470

This is beginning to frustrate the hell out of me.

Sorry for the very late reply . I did start to try the save you sent and no it didn`t crash but then I didn`t get all the way through either . There was a bit of household emergency that needed taking care of right away . If you like I could go all the way through the Posh reception and make a save at the end of it and email it back to you . Just for the sake of trying could you disable SLI and try Posh Reception again .

If you have one the error log can be sometimes found in the Witcher/System folder .

It keep crashing for me at the market now as well.

Seeing as its specific places (or people/random NPC dialogue), thats causing this, im gonna go with a reinstallation and see if the problem remains.

well, a reinstallation got me past the posh party, but once i went upstairs again to talk with the fat guy, it crashed again with the same MSVCR80.dll error.

im pretty much at a loss how to fix this.

the version that is failing is not the newest version, but how would i go about changing what version of MSVCR80.dll the game uses, i have Win7, so the file is in the winsx folder, where i have 4-5 different version of the file.

so unless someone can show me a place in the registry where witcher points to what MSVCR80.dll to use, im not sure how to change that.

It should be using the MSVCR80.dll that comes with Visual C++ 2005 SP1. You can get the 2005 SP1 redistributables from Microsoft and install those to make sure.

The crash is almost certainly not due to the DLL, though. That's a rock-stable DLL that hasn't been updated in years and never will be.

The crash is something that the game fed to the DLL that caused the DLL to blow chunks. *Tommy* is right; the first suspect has to be the SLI setup. I'll add that the second suspect should be system or video RAM.

I would be willing to entertain your idea about a hardware error, if anything else failed....ever, but only the witcher does.

and ive found a working solution, ive installed the GoG version, and loo and behold back to a stable game, not a single crash, in 5 hours of play, and luckily i still had the saves from the steam version.

Without a better error log of some kind, i dont know what the problem is, but im gonna go with a F U steam.

Glad you got it working. *Tommy* is the forum expert on Steam; I'm not. I'll defer to him on what might have gone wrong in the Steam setup.

Sorry for the so late reply and definitely glad to hear the GOG version is working . Any number of things can go wrong with the Steam and it`s installation of games . First I think the biggest problem is that you cannot install the game as administrator and with that comes it`s own set of problems like missing registry keys . I don`t know where you have Steam installed but with my Steam experience it`s best not to run any games from within Program Files and this works pretty well even with clients like Steam , Origin , and UPlay just to name a few . So for myself Steam goes into C:\GAMES since all my games and clients run from this folder and knock on wood works good .

I am having the same exact experience as Baktunfuli. Steam version but not installed in the Program Files section. I haven't bought the GoG version. Not sure if I want to spend another $10 on the chance of it working. Any other suggestions?

Thank you all!

CChopps said:
I am having the same exact experience as Baktunfuli. Steam version but not installed in the Program Files section. I haven't bought the GoG version. Not sure if I want to spend another $10 on the chance of it working. Any other suggestions?

Thank you all!

You don`t have to buy it again . Just use your Steam key at the following link .
http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Sorry to necro this thread, but I'm having this exact crashing issue, so evidently it's still a problem with the Steam version. Since this is the thread that appears first on google, the solution seems to be to simply right click the game in your Steam menu, select properties and Disable Steam Overlay. Hopefully that helps someone and I won't get in trouble for the bump. Just trying to help. Thanks

Top Bottom