[Act IV] Am I up the creek here?

+
[Act IV] Am I up the creek here?

Im on my first play through and im kinda just whipping through the main story line. Im only lvl 18 and in chapter IV. Right as the chapter began i went to see how tough the opponents were in this chapter, so i fought the 2 wyverns chowing down on the corpse and got OWNED. Am i up the creek here?

I'm on my second play through and this time at level 30 in Act IV (normal diff). You may want to start again and spend more time doing side quests before advancing, or stay where you are and keep leveling before advancing, your choice.

You can probably be ok. Just be a bit more careful- instead of fighting two at once, lure one out at a time if you can, blast them with the fire sign then use strong attack if it's a Royal Wyvern or fast attack if it's a regular Wyvern. It's not impossible to beat them at your level. If you're worried drink a Swallow potion before the fight or have some White Rafford's handy. Also- when in doubt, you can always run like hell.To help you level up though, you should try taking on as many side jobs as you can (though you might want to avoid the Giant Centipedes and the Wild Hunt quests until you get a bit more buff.) the quickest way to level up is to finish quests and kill new monsters. At this point, you probably aren't getting more than 1 experience point every time you kill a drowner or a wolf, so going after the easy targets won't help much. You've got to take on some new critters.

I would start again or at least take a pervious save to gain more levels to enhance your fighting skills and add more combat sequences for an attack. Then it's not so frustrating to mess around with one enemy for hours ;D You earn more exp with completing as many as possible quests than lurking for creatures.

You can also just go to the lakeside at night and fight the drowners to obtain some levels. Drowners and drowned dead are not so tough as wyverns for that level.

Drowners and drowned dead give a pitiful exp... 1 (in words: one) for drowners and few more for drowned. I think on level 18 a bit more.Finishing the mean side quest "A most unusual wine" (don't know the exact title) showers you with more than 1k exp 8)

In chapter 4 there 's this crypt when you can have as many vampires you like. Just go inside, kill the vampires and then rest by the fire for 24 hours. The crypt will be full of them again. One vampire gives you around 500 exp. The crypt i 'm talking about is in the fields.

Cassandra31EEE said:
In chapter 4 there 's this crypt when you can have as many vampires you like. Just go inside, kill the vampires and then rest by the fire for 24 hours. The crypt will be full of them again. One vampire gives you around 500 exp. The crypt i 'm talking about is in the fields.
If the topicstarter has already problems with wyverns i doubt if he can encounter alps and the devourer. The crypt you're talking of is the one in the fields.

Oh, silly me! ;D Yes, you 're right, but if he manage to level up a little, maybe it 'll be OK then to try the crypt. And the Royal Wyvens are much difficult to me than the vampires.

It's the crypt where you find the shrine of the Griggs and this crypt is a real exp treasure... but for lvl 18 pretty hard because you seldom face one creature alone. Out in the fields when you deal with Wyverns you have plenty of space to run away to kill one by one. If you run away in the crypt because there are too many, just around the corner you bump into other mobs.

nimue

Forum veteran
I'd recommend going back to an earlier save or starting again and taking on the side quests. Not only for the XP value - what's the point in playing an RPG if I don't catch as many stories as I can? :) Okay, the Witcher contracts are pretty straightforward killing missions, but some of the other side quests are worth exploring.

closetpunk said:
Im on my first play through and im kinda just whipping through the main story line. Im only lvl 18 and in chapter IV.
Whoa, that's somewhat impressive. I wouldn't say you're totally screwed, but you may want to do some XP grinding and definitely practice your tactics. Also, scoot around and brew yourself a stack of potions to make up for Geralt's lack of talents - at this stage, alchemical assistance may mean the difference between life and death. Keep Geralt pumped with something like Swallow and Tawny to give you an edge until you develop enough talents to make do on your own.If you want to practice drawing out wyverns one at a time, head over to Black Tern Island, there's a colony of them. I usually creep close enough to get Igni in range, then lob a fireball at one. I scope how many I've disturbed and are coming to get me, and if it's a reasonable amount then I stay put, otherwise I run back a bit until one or two lose interest. The colony respawns somewhat reliably, too, so you can meditate and practice again. The upshot of doing that will be that you'll get some decent XP out of it.Stay away from the Giant Centipedes :( They are anti-fun :( they can usually be found lurking away from both the inn and the village... if you head out from the inn towards the fields, but turn left, that empty area with the old ruins and the destroyed bridge. Unlike echinopsae, these buggers can follow you, albeit slowly. If you need to make your way from one side of the map to another, go the long way past the inn and through the village. Or draw your sword, set it to Fast, and run like your bum is on fire :)Remember your signs - creative use of signs in a battle can make things so much easier on you. Tactics and alchemy are going to be your two best friends :) A bit of XP grinding won't hurt, though, and it's fun to watch Geralt strut his stuff :D

Top Bottom