Has the story of the game changed?

+
In the first trailer we saw it had the description of the "Psycho Squad"? Saying that we had just watched them acquire a new member. Giving us details about their purpose and the criminals that they track down yet in this trailer it seems to have gone from a Suicide Squad-esque story with psychos fighting psychos to just a mercenary type protagonist getting their big break. With not trace of the original idea to be found. Maybe you are the criminal and the squad has been sent to bring you down? Or has the original idea been scrapped all together? Thanks and much love and even greater thanks and love for really nailing the aesthetics really beautiful <3

Maybe they tell us different stories according to the background you choose while playing. They are basically two sides of the many you get according to your playstyle and choices.

Given we have never known what the story of the game was. no? no idea? also that first trailer was not a "this is what the game will be like trailer" it was a "we are making a cyberpunk game" trailer. it was never meant to tell you anything about the content of the actual game.

No. Checking out the making of the trailer released in 2013. They used every reference from the Cyberpunk lore they could. Including the posters, costumes, music, any art direction components, characters etc. They specifically said that trailer was not a trailer to the CP77 game, instead of a trailer or preview to the world.

So the story didn't really change as we didn't know what it was beyond speculation.

The old teaser does not really tell anything about the story. If I recall correctly, @Shavod said it would be somewhat inspired by Kingpin, and the description "you play as V, a hired gun on the rise, who just got their first serious contract" does not seem very far from that. Nor from the old key point that it would be a "low level, quest based" story.

From an IGN interview:

“The psycho squad is just one of many cool elements in this world," Sebastian explains. “We had several ideas for this short teaser and had to focus on one of them. Augmentations and cyberware is a big subject in the world, and that’s why it’s in the teaser. But it won’t be a game about police hunting cyber-psychos. That’s a sub-plot… The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

I hope so. this looks like a rags to riches story which is far more interesting than some blase ghost in the shell knockoff.

I'll remain happy and eager to play as long as I can play a city cop or corporate cop, and if the city (or parts of it) feel cyberpunky or blade runner-esque at night and maybe the right weather conditions.

I'm confident we will see all of that covered, as heavily hinted by prior information snippets, even though 'maybe' we might not expect a whole major plot evolving around those particular things - it should very well be an option or path you can take. Or side to "join".

Curious to see what we'll get in the end.

As a former real-life cop that's the last job I'd want in Night City.

To many psychos, druggies, and corporate shenanigans to have a decent probability of living long enough to collect your underwhelming retirement benefits.

Soldiers need to accept the possibility of getting killed in their line of work. While it may happen to a cop it's not something you have to accept as a distinct possibility, any more then a fireman does.

As a former real-life cop that's the last job I'd want in Night City.

To many psychos, druggies, and corporate shenanigans to have a decent probability of living long enough to collect your underwhelming retirement benefits.

I think that's what would attract some players, or where some would see the challenge. Of course I'm now mostly speaking about a detached view from a "gamer" or someone entering said risky scenario without any hard or real risks. The power of reload, so to speak.

Let's (try to) assume it was real or rather let's try to look at it from a more immersed or real perspective: I think corruption would be high, the state would mostly just try to hold it all together while the corps and other actors have the "true" power, or at least notable power, and the average city cop might indeed have to expect a low(er) life expectancy or always ponder about whether they reach a natural retirement stage.

Makes me wonder about the motivation people taking such roles in that society would have, assuming that violence and so on would be known by people. Are some (likely the few) idealists, or maybe sadists trying to use the power in select cases? Perhaps they just do it to get by, kind of "forced", accepting the risks. Perhaps some have specific agendas or just want the "thrill".

Hard to tell. I did not really look into the "old" Cyberpunk and can't relate to quirks of the setting, but this is what I would imagine it to be without knowing much from CP2020.

True to my name here, I'd be the first role or job to pick once given the possibility in the game, if so. Perhaps it might indeed be hard difficulty by in-game choices. But that's the fun I see, in trying to portray that role in such a society, against the odds.

But time will tell. Depending on how it all goes and how you start, perhaps I end up in another role. With the corps. Or just on a different track. While I am a fan of such gameplay related to law enforcement and such, I do not necessarily want to force any career choice on my first playthrough too much, as it could be fun to just roll with things as they unfold and see where you end up.

If it doesn't go according to plan, just try something else in a new playthrough, perhaps. Could be refreshing.

But alas, regardless of preferences, if any cop job is offered I can see many players pick up 'the trade' and share their experiences via social media and whatnot.

It'll be a blast. Literally.

I think that's what would attract some players, or where some would see the challenge. Of course I'm now mostly speaking about a detached view from a "gamer" or someone entering said risky scenario without any hard or real risks. The power of reload, so to speak.
For gameplay purposes, sure sign me up!

But I'm one of those nuts that approaches an RPG not from the perspective of "it's a game" but from that of a person living in that reality.

Sure you'll have the altruists, thrill seekers, and the authoritarians, just like you do in any large real-life police force. But again from the perspective of a person to whom the world presented in the game is reality ... no ... not a chance.

Dudes. You had 6 years to play Cyberpunk 2020 and see what that game is about. Cyberpsychos and cybersquad is just a tiny fraction of it. They've just shown more bits of the world. Street life, petty crime, violence, corporate skirmishes, Trauma Team action ( for those unfamiliar. Psycho Squad fights cyber violence, Trauma Team extract violence victims from the middle of the firefight and saves lives, for a hefty monthly fee). They clearly tells you "IT's just a trailer, not a game". As for the cops. In CP2020 cop's job is hard, dangerous and underpaid. But at least the can shoot likes like Caren Turner or Rodney King on sight, no question asked :)

Thanks!

You know it's getting to be a problem though, when you start confusing your real bank account numbers with your in game numbers. ;)
Tell me about it.
The other day I almost bought some "Pristine ranch land" in Arizona.
I mean, who doesn't want to live on a ranch and be their own boss?

Tell me about it.
The other day I almost bought some "Pristine ranch land" in Arizona.
I mean, who doesn't want to live on a ranch and be their own boss?

The problem is getting the cows to fill in the weekly TPS reports. What a headache.

And here I thought I was the only one.

Those either generally able to do so and / or those with some kind of roleplaying experience likely have it easy and might, simplified, just get even more bang out of the buck. For me I already liked to immerse myself in such RPGs and whatnot as a kid. The earliest memories I can "pull up" right now are of TES 3: Morrowind, where I immersed myself in all of the various roles to some above-average extend. Eventually I did RP in MMORPGs and other games with more 'active RP components' such as ARMA or G-Mod.

For those reading this that cannot relate to this at all, here is perhaps a good example on how it is for many of "us":

Did you ever watch a subjectively good movie that drew you into the plot, setting, made you feel with the characters (actors)? It's something like that and maybe more, since games are interactive.

Good stuff I suggest you try out.

Whether you are into full or in-depth immersion or not, I'm sure we can all agree that if you're into the game genre (and style and setting) that CP2077 covers, then you will get a good game for its price, with replayability and potential modding, maybe.

If it basically turns into one of the recent Fallout or Elder Scrolls singleplayer games by scope and content and sandbox factor, I'm sold. I'm so enthusiastic about it that I would theoretically pay double the price and it would still be a good deal. The best deal I ever got was G-Mod as it was so diverse with many communities and gamemodes, including RP. I paid like 9,99 Dollars or Euros and up to this day got about 4,500 hours or more out of about 10 bucks. A similar relation is reached with the TES/FO games due to modding and general sandbox factors. Each of those I play(ed) several times over with various mods to enhance gameplay. Countless hours for the price where I pay 60 or so for a game I only play once, and not even 60 hours or barely.

Anyway, what a time to be alive to see a game like CP2077 including DLCs unless it's "tough shit" and I get run over by a car crossing the street before release.

Top Bottom