In Defense of the First Person Perspective

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I feel as though the FPP perspective is going to lend a lot to the feeling of scale and verticality here, as well as a genuine feeling of cybernetic enhancements as your hud changes with new chrome. The first person perspective is going to likely make the cramped spaces feel more cramped, and the high up places feel very high up. Sure, it's something different, but I highly doubt it's going to strip the game of its RPG feel. Furthermore, if you really want a third person perspective I'm absolutely certain some talented modder will likely add one shortly after release.

Also their primary goal is pure immersion within the Cyberpunk universe to make it feel like you are actually exploring and seeing the city for itself - and i agree the scaling is very pronounced during first person. Makes me wonder if VR will make an appearance, could also be part of the decision. Hopefully first person perspective is also quite detailed in animation to make it feel real and genuine (interacting with objects, crawling/prone, etc)

Now that Deus Ex is on hiatus and Cyberpunk 2077 has adopted first-person perspective. I think I'm gonna be fine scratching my Immersive-Sim itch with this game and the upcoming Underworld Ascendant.

The thing is, most of us that want TPP simply want it to be toggleable, so those of you that prefer first person can still enjoy it. We don't want to lock someone else out of their preferred view like a fp only view does.

Also modders can only go so far. A third person mod won't do much if the actual animations and things aren't made for third person view and they use a "fake" first person view a la Crysis and other games, because you'll get short-cut animations that look like this:

I dont get it, what works for you might not work for others. People are saying the trailer gave GTA vibes, well at least in GTA you as the player have the option to play it with what works for you whether that is FPP or TPP. There are very few games that I can stomach in FPP as I get really nauseaus from motion sickness.

I understand what the developer was wanting players to experience in FPP, but giving gamers options to play the game in first person, or third person view is better for gamers who get motion sickness from FPS. To have all the customization for a character, and not being able to see that character in combat, or walking in the environment, is like playing the game in a diving suit, your vision is restricted, and pulls the player out of the game it gives you tunnel vision. Players want to see their character especially during melee combat which is horrible in FPP. Giving gamers the option to choose how they want to see, and play the game is the best way to have more gamers experience your game. Why cripple your game with limited first person perspective view only makes no sense. Fallout 4, Skyrim, GTA, most RPGs give you the option to change from first person to third person view when ever you want, this works best for the player when they are playing the game. If you give the player options to play the game male, or female, and how they look, and how they want to develop their character why not give the player the option to choose when they play the game in first person, or third person view..... it's just a option.

Agree completely with those advocating for an option. If it's first person only, chances are high I won't buy it, and I know many folks who feel the same way. I'd rather they put options in so that everyone can play the game the way they want.

Since CDPR is saying First Person Perspective was chosen for immersion, will they include Full Body Awareness?

When playing a lot of First Person games the thing that is truly immersion breaking is looking down and seeing a shadowy blob instead of my own body.

In a player vs player situation wouldn't you have a major advantage if you have a 3rd person view and your opponent is in first person? 3rd person can see over and around obstacles.

I said this in another thread, but I feel it's also very suited for this thread as well, so I'll toss it here as well:

I don't quite think people understand the amount of work that goes into incorporating multiple perspectives for animations and game mechanics.

Let's run through a quick exercise to think about this for a minute. Consider the wall running mechanic in this game. First person animations would need to incorporate what you see when your limbs move, your grip on weapons, interactivity with objects or surfaces in the environment, etc. Pulling back into TPP, having extremely complex mechanics "just work" would actually require a metric shit ton of extra work. For every FPP animation your character can do (as I'm sure they don't want you to just utilize the animation sets of NPCs in the game), you now have to craft a TPP animation to match that. That is quite literally twice the amount of work for something that, me personally, would not enjoy even remotely as much. I don't walk around in the real world with a camera floating above my head. I use my eyeballs.

What about HUD elements that are cyberware-specific? What about on-screen overlays that are thematic? What about melee? These are all monumental tasks in and of themselves to execute well in a single perspective, let alone multiple ones. If we take a look at games that include both perspectives -- GTA V, Bethesda games, etc. -- the alternative perspective in view typically suffers in quality from the other. Fallout 4 plays and feels pretty good in FPP, but TPP they just feel janky. GTA V plays and feels really good in TPP, but pretty baseline when it comes to FPP. There are sacrifices you have to make when developing these types of things -- both of them take obscene amounts of time to implement and create to a high level of quality.

It's really not as simple as "well there's a photo mode planned so clearly everything is in place for this to work!". Unfortunately, that's just not how any of this works.

Would I want both if I had the choice? Of course. But investing all that time and work into something that will ultimately end up being an upskirt camera for 99% of the people using it, I don't think the devs feel it's worth it in the end. Outside of the rare cases of people who are genuinely affected by motion sickness from FPP media, it will ultimately become a non-issue. There are remedies that can be implemented to ease motion sickness, anyhow.

At any rate, enough rambling -- this is not the time or place to start flaming or feeling entitled. This is art, after all, and CDPR doesn't owe anyone anything. If they felt that making this game a turn based RTS was the best way to tell their story, they'd still manage to find incredible success with that because they are a very talented group of folks. Have a little faith. Literally every journalist I've seen talk about this game has had nothing but praise and awe to share -- no one in those conference rooms are storming out of them or throwing temper tantrums because it's a FPRPG.

EDIT - Also, it's confirmed that you will see your character in the character/inventory menu, as well as while driving cars/motorcycles, and during cutscenes -- which I'm sure there are a LOT of. Sounds good to me.

/end rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom