FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're wrong, I've said that perspective doesn't matter for immersion. Gameplay does it
I asked you what the benefits are, gameplay wise, for third person, with specific regards to open world games. You still haven't answered that.

So basically 'fuck you people with motion sickness' ?!
More like, "We made a piece of art, and we'd like you to enjoy it, but if you can't physically abide it, then we're sorry, but we cannot accomodate you. Do you get mad at roller coasters for enforcing a height limit? Are you mad at musicians because deaf people can't experience their work? Are you mad that people with epilepsy can't play video games?

In the first place, a players' perspective has to serve gameplay. It has to allow for optimal player control and superior viewing angles. And when you're talking about a Witcher game, where you're swinging around swords in all directions and casting AOE signs, a third person perspective enhances player control and viewing angles. However, when you take a game like Cyberpunk, where you end up shooting guns, which involves aiming, looking through scopes and twitch reactions, you're simply better off with a first person perspective. And on top of that, there's also parkour elements like wall-climbing, which requires enormous precision regarding movement.

Secondly, I'd like to address that the players' perpective impacts storytelling, both narrative and environmental, and it can determine whether you're fully immersed in a video game. If CD project red thinks it's important to have the camera head high for narrative storytelling purposes, I'd have to agree. You'd want to feel like you're in a conversation and see a characters' facial expression. And while that's entirely possible in a TPP game, you'd have to bring the camera down to achieve that. But the biggest factors at play are environmental storytelling and immersion. CD project red wants to show you environments from up close, because the environment isn't as wide and open as in the Witcher. For example, where a burnt down village told a story in the witcher, it might be a monitor or smartphone in Cyberpunk. You simply have to be up close to even see the environment they want you to see. And immersion-wise, cybernetic enhancements that allow for HUD elements wouldn't work in third person perspective, because that's not how the character sees it.

If you get motion sickness because of a first person perspective, note that I sincerely hope they allow you to switch between FPP and TPP. If you disagree with anything I said, I'd love to hear about it in a polite manner.

I really hope CDPR stick to their guns and deliver the game they want to deliver. Otherwise this will be the Triss romance debacle all over again.

If you wanna know how it feels at worst to play FPS games when you have motion sickness do this: spin around for as long as you feel like puking, and your head hurts so much that you cant even sit, then play any fps game and try to focus on shooting a moving target or even reading a text in the game. Wait until you feel normal again and repeat it again.
Alternatively, i could not do that, which is also your option with this game. You are not entitled to experience a game just because you WANT to. If you cannot physically do it, it's not CD Projekt's problem or responsibility to address it.

I know i'm coming off as a dick, but seriously, they owe you NOTHING. You also owe them NOTHING in return. We as an audience are not entitled to their art. if we cant physically participate, or are too poor, or whatever, it's not OWED to us to participate in it.

So basically 'fuck you people with motion sickness' ?!

Not to mention that immersion is subjective, and for me personally first person detracts from experience. I do not want to be inside my character. I want to control my character.

But again, main issues is that there are people who simply CANNOT play in first person

There are also people with other "disabilities" that won't be able to play this game. Should the game be made for everyone? Well, sorry but no. It's impossible. Someone will always be unhappy. You can't play it? I feel sorry for you, but you are at the very same spot as the guy without arms. The fact you're unlucky doesn't mean that people who like FPP should play TPP because of you.

And TPP vs FPP means two different combat settings. It's pretty much two different game. At this stage of development it's most likely impossible.

then your place here is just as valid regardless of what the mad people who are merely victims of their own self generated hype.

Yay!

well at that point it's simply a matter of personal preference and its almost a moot point to argue or even complain about imo. you not being able to personally get into something isn't really the fault of the perspective or CD Projekt's responsibility, its just simply the way you are and the way you experience media. I get that you're not some of these people acting like the game is irrevocably ruined but at that point, its merely a differing of opinion, there is no right or wrong.

Yeah I am definitely not saying the game is ruined or anything like that. At this point while I still want a third person perspective option (and it seems most here do also) my main concern is for people like youtuber MadQueen who are extremely passionate about this game and may not be able to play it.

Even saying that I realize CDPR can only do so much...it's just knowing how excited I've been for this game and then seeing someone like MadQueen who cried watching the trailer and it turns out she may not be able to play it really sucks.

We decided to go with First Person Perspective because it adds to the immersion - let you experience the game through eyes of the main character. We're not planning to allow switching to TPP for the same reason. You'll have many opportunities to see your customized character in cutscenes, inventory view and mirrors. It's going to be First Person RPG, not a FPS.
Yea saying you guys went with FP view for immersion doesn’t make sense at all. Very subjective. For whose immersion? Yours or ours? As others have said I don’t wanna be inside my character. Direct control of my character adds to my immersion and makes me feel I’m IN the world. It’d be great to take into account each and every fan’s view of this and not just half. Why not appeal to your old and new fans? No real argument can justify why this is.

There are also people with other "disabilities" that won't be able to play this game. Should the game be made for everyone? Well, sorry but no. It's impossible. Someone will always be unhappy. You can't play it? I feel sorry for you, but you are at the very same spot as the guy without arms. The fact you're unlucky doesn't mean that people who like FPP should play TPP because of you.
Its the harsh truth no one want's to hear. If i had no hands, is CD Projekt obligated to make the entire game voice controlled just so i can experience it? Absolutely not.

There will come a day when all of us cannot enjoy the games we want to enjoy. It is not a developer's responsibility to cater to us.

And TPP vs FPP means two different combat settings. It's pretty much two different game. At this stage of development it's most likely impossible.
People who think it's simple have no clue what kind of work goes into games. There's a reason dev teams are hundreds of people strong. it's WORK.

more I think about this matter, more I am convinced that this was a decision based on "what is easier to do"

when you make TPP you have to make character movement, walking runing, holstering weapon etc and you have to do that for both male and female in this game, then you have jumpng and running on walls (which i dont like that much, tried it in titanfall). In FPP you literally dont have to do any of that, player is just floating/sliding through air

and all of you who says "its CDPR, they will do what is best", news flash, they are human and they can make mistakes, witcher 3 was great game but it wasnt flawless.

choice between TPP and FPP is the way to go here, and I believe that CDPR already wanted to do that, come back to your first decision

I think a lot of us "immerse" in the game in a different way. I like to play as a character, I dislike pretending I'm inside the game myself.

Still, CDPR have their vision and they dont have to catter to everyone. Altough it would be nice if they added a switch later.

If CDPR decides to stick with their stance on FPP, I'll respect that. Staying true to what you believe in. However, I personally would prefer of having the option of both FPP and TPP. I envisioned playing this in TPP and only going into FPP when I need to like I have with Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim.

Sadly, if it's only FPP, I'll pass on this game. Just consider it a second thought at the least.

I just feel that if they really want to use "for immersion" defense then their shouldn't be a voiced a protagonist.

Yeah I am definitely not saying the game is ruined or anything like that. At this point while I still want a third person perspective option (and it seems most here do also) my main concern is for people like youtuber MadQueen who are extremely passionate about this game and may not be able to play it.

Even saying that I realize CDPR can only do so much...it's just knowing how excited I've been for this game and then seeing someone like MadQueen who cried watching the trailer and it turns out she may not be able to play it really sucks.
I mean, i get it, especially for people with bad motion sickness, it sucks. I just think that the people who DONT flal into that camp and are arguing based on nebulous gameplay or aesthetic reasons really need to wait for actual gameplay before throwing a fit. this thread is 60 pages long in 6 hours and 80% of it is "Third person is better because mumble mumble mumble". THAT to me isn't valid criticisim when we don't even ahve any info on actual gameplay. It's a reactionary bristling against a comfort zone and I'm not about that. Im just thinking that most people who don't ahave a physical barrier to playing the game should probably calm down and actually wait and see how it looks in person.

FWIW, If she could play Prey, I can't imagine that this game is more chaotic in terms of motion than an omnidirectional shooter in space.

Last edited:
We decided to go with First Person Perspective because it adds to the immersion - let you experience the game through eyes of the main character. We're not planning to allow switching to TPP for the same reason. You'll have many opportunities to see your customized character in cutscenes, inventory view and mirrors. It's going to be First Person RPG, not a FPS.
Also something to look at: A very popular YouTube and one of your biggest supporters for years for this game especially.She looked visibly heart broken.

Last edited:
I just feel that if they really want to use "for immersion" defense then their shouldn't be a voiced a protagonist.
FPP and voice acting can still immerse you in a character pretty damn well.

At least that's what the voices in my head are telling me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom