NR Deck How Far Can I Go? -- Seek Advice --

+
Hello and thanks for reading.

I'm a new player, presently rank 13 with a pretty high win ratio that I'm sure isn’t relevant at this level of game play; However I'm interested in getting some feedback on the deck I am running. Please if you are an experienced Gwent player who can offer me some feedback then please do so. I’m not interested in hearing how under powered NR is for current META etc. Just after constructive ideas to help power my deck and push my knowledge and understanding of the game further. I want to strengthen this deck. I’m very keen on the versatility it offers, but lack the overall Gwent knowledge too know which substitutions to make for improvements.

I will include a play guide afterwards or sooner if requested. Presently at work so I’ll lead with the deck list below, and please offer feedback based off that for the time being.

Leader: King Foltest

Aedirnian Mauler x3
Tridman Infantry x3
Redanian Knight-Elect x3
Kaedweni Sergeant x2
Redanian Elite x2
Tormented Mage x1
Thunder Bolt x1
Trollololo - Silver
Vaedermaker - Silver
Prince Stennis - Silver
Roach - Silver
Dethmold - Silver
Vincent Meis - Silver
Keira Metz - Gold
Sigismund Dijkstra - Gold
Seltkirk - Gold
Shani - Gold

Last edited:
Redanian Elite x3, Triman Infantry x3, Kaedweni Sergeant x3
Are all low power units that don't work well in your deck, except with Vincent.

Tormented Mage x1 + Thunder Bolt x1
The combo is unreliable and can lead to a bricked hand with just one special.

Sabrina Glevissig - Silver
This card is too difficult to play.

Hubert Rejk - Silver + Vincent Meis - Silver
Those two cards shouldn't be in the same deck.

Priscilla - Gold
Bad card that should be replaced with Shani.

While a good card, it's risky to use in your deck.

Triss Merigold - Gold
Beginner card that should be replaced (with Seltkirk, for example).

TL;DR: Your deck tries to do too many things and lacks the focus or strength to do any of them well.

So as you mentioned Vincent hits it off famously with these units. Instant + 5 on Elite's, Trimans are replaceable for sure, but with what? I'd like to keep at least 2 Sergeants as weather clears.

The armor keeps the NR siege deck at bay, well the weather clears make it possible for the Elects to stack up points and just protect units in general.

I always instantly Mulligan thunder bolt and search it with my Tormented Soul (Foltest Buffed) For a +12 stats/armor buff which can put my Elects back into action. If you have a suggestion for replacements please help me here.

I want to keep Sabrina if I can she does combo well with Sigis in moderate-long rounds. I have many ways to pop her ability, locks are the only concern really. I kept Triss for another method of Sabrina take-out but I can replace her, and perhaps use another mauler in place of the tormented soul? Maybe 2 maulers and take thunderbolt out?

What do you think.

Ultimately willing to give up Triss, possible ts/tb combo, Triman's NP.. What do I put in for Hubert Rejkt? Willing to drop Priscilla as well.

Current budget allows for crafting perhaps one gold, Shani or Seltkirk?

I feel like Shani is the clear choice.

Ultimately both, to replace Priscilla and Merigold. (Start by replacing Priscilla?)

Also I'd put Prince Stennis in for Rejk what do you think?

And two Maulers in for TB/TS Combo?

Does this seem like a start?

I've taken out

Sabrina/Rejk/Priscilla/Triss

Put in Prince Stennis/Roach/Seltkirk/Shani

Running 3 maulers and reduced infantry/elites to 2x ea.

Set me back a lot of mats, but happy with changes. Thanks.

Keep the ideas flowing!

I've taken out Sabrina/Rejk/Priscilla/Triss

Put in Prince Stennis/Roach/Seltkirk/Shani

Yup, this is already a step in the right direction. You should try your new deck and adjust it accordingly.

Another unit you could add to your deck is Kaedweni Knight (instead of the Mauler). It works well with Dijkstra, Stennis and the Last Wish/Recon.

What are your thoughts on the rank that I could push with this deck? Also debating throwing in a Alzur's for my TS in place of a Mauler.

What's the highest opponent I can kill with Seltkirk at 9 Str Base?

Thanks for all the help.

Kaedweni Cavalry x3
Redanian Knight-Elect x3
Redanian Elite x3
Kaedweni Sergeant x2
Kaedweni Knight x1
Tormented Mage x1
Thunder Bolt x1
Alzur's Thunder x1
Trollololo - Silver
Vaedermaker - Silver
Prince Stennis - Silver
Roach - Silver
Dethmold - Silver
Vincent Meis - Silver
Keira Metz - Gold
Seltkirk - Gold
Shani - Gold

Does this seem better than current deck? Also if so debating Dropping Vincent, and one Elite. Open to suggestions.

Loving how solid this deck has become. Despite my initial post saying I was rank 13, I was actually level 13 and rank 11, I've made it to rank 13 now and am gliding through. Armed was right to suggest all the cards he did, prior to changes I returned home after work to go 1-3, and then 5-1 after changes.

Honestly you should just look up the normal NR armor deck with ciri nova. It's basically the same for everyone with maybe minor tweaks.

I'll browse it, but don't wanna net deck. I like adding a twist.

I originally played Sabrina which was refreshing, because it caught a lot of opponents by surprise, and works well with Maulers/Sigismund. But it is conditional and thus not consistent.

I think Cavs for a second trigger on Elites as pretty decent. I'll play around with it when I get home. And also check out the deck you mentioned.

Thanks.

I am not that much of an expert. i don't play over rank 18 for now but from what i grasped from the game in the later ranks you deffinately need twists in your deck and tech againts the most common archetypes.
As for improvements i think you should start with changing the leader first if you want to keep those forms of removal they kinda don't work great with your leader i can recommend King Radovid V.
Your deck needs some identity ( i mean it plays the big value cards from various archtypes ) there are some negative values you can clean that come from Sigismund. I mean there are cards you better not play with him he is obviously the clan powerhouse.
And since you are in a budget i can recomment you Muzzle and Scorch. Just becouse they fit in all decks. They are kinda boring choises but they help you climb if you know how to paly them. By playing those card correctly you can get wins no matter that deck you are playing and they play in all decks.
Most people suggest you to play the armor deck since the armor is natural counter to weather decks and removal decks so its very effective when you are climbing the higher grinds. Since there are lots of control decks especially ciri nova decks and you do't have any tools to win againts such deck.
Also you can play a deck with less than 6 silver cards i see Roach that is a card that begs to be replaced with a bronze card :D. And you run powerhouse cards but you don't run the silver value cards that hurts your deck a lot. Don't focus that much on the golds but on the silvers they can give you the extra twist you want in your decks.
THALER the 13 power spy every faction has one such unit they are very powerfull craft it after SCORCH. The way you play those 2 cards will give you plenty of wins they are in every net deck. I know you don't want to make a net deck but checking them is very important it will give you understanding againts what you will be playing since everyone will netdeck. This is how you make decks with a twist by knowing what people play and outplaying them with cards you find valueble in this position.
Lock status instead of hard removal- Great swords you have seen them. Hard removal is useless. This is why i recommend you using king Radovid instead BUT if you insist on keeping Foltest there are some card combos you can consider when playing him since they work the best with him (Odrin -he is lonely powerhouse; lubberkin-botchling; Lambert-Eskel- Vesemir( they are great at slimming your deck if you don't have the nessesary silver cards and with sigismund and stenis they help you out a lot with playing your whole deck :D) And don't use cards that don't have boddy(A.K.A cards that are units not spells and items) you want the max stats when playing a card
Vandergrift's blade is the best silver card in this faction. since this faction is the only one that does not have a silver unit that toogles lock status. And its the best silver card i have seen you can even consider archtype that will abuse it. SO abuse it :D.
Bronze cards - This is what i mean by your deck identity you curently run armor deck with the wrong leader. Reaver scout is amazing card for your leader it lets you play 3 more cards from your deck and wit hthe deck slimming from the other strong cards like sigismund and Stennis it wil lgive you value if you play the 3 witchers and the Silver swords those cards wil lgive you great value especially from the deck slimming it will alow you to play al lyour gold cards where your oponents may not have the luck to draw theirs. And one of the reasons Kiri: nova deck is one of the top net decks but you need extra value for her.
Tormented mage and the thunderbolt and air's thunder should go home in your deck case. Although tormented mages are core part of the armor deck you don't run neither the leader nor the cards to support them. You need better removal if you insist on keeping your leader use diametrium shackles this season they are very usefull Run 2 of them since every deck runs their silver lock unit and they can unlock whatever you deside to lock and consider mulliganing them alway if you don't have enough removal.
Kaedwani sergants don't have place in your deck honestly. I see why you are struggling with the weathers since you are running 3 deck archetypes into one. I get why you should want to play the powerhouses of the Clan into one deck but that is why Ciri : nova decks exist that extra 23 points you get hrom her are the thing that makes you competitive for not playing all the suport cards for your powerhouses since they overal get more value from proper silver card.
Right now you are playing Armor type deck mixed with the deck slimming from troop swarm decks and ciri: nova decks combines with troop booster decks but you lack the low value support cards from those archetypes and its why your decks fails at climbing.
Redanian Elite and Redanian Knight are the armor decks core cards they give you extra value from other armor removals and they are natural protection againts weather decks since weather takes time to catch up the value you losef rom having a turn where you played 6 power combo of 2 cards to spawn the weather. and by the time the weather breaks their armor they just refresh or boost themselfs so you don't need to run clear skyes or weather clears. And considering you run clear skyes in your silver cards its too much. The cursed mages and thunderbolts are suport for your redanian knight elects. In armor deck those cards are not the main stats income they are just suport cards for the archtype you gain the most value from breaking armor and your deck lacks proper suport to gain value from the knight-elects and you kinda rely on that to overcome the netdecks with the best card synergy value. And they are very valueble in your deck archtype.
Also the lack of the core armor cards starves your vincent out of value considering i you ever draw it. or even worse draw it in the worst moment from sigismund leaving your board defenceless and vulnerable to all sort of evil things.
Seems to me you need more understanding of the meta and what is good. You lack colelction too But if you are not into netdecking check out the Troops swarm deck its uper fun and not that much explited. Ciri: nova decks are this month's top decks and she can b erun with every faction and its a fun experiance crafting such deck you can make it work with smaller collection so i you are looking for a gold card to craft she is a good choise for you and she is especially strong in the northerners deck ( so strong in fact Armor ciri is THE STRONGEST deck for now ). So when you reach that pint where everyone is playing ciri deck you will apreciate Scorch and the 13 power spy. I thought they are not that good but they are a must.

In general, I'd play the deck for as long as it works for you and you enjoy playing it. But perhaps pay attention to what works and what doesn't during a game, and try to look out for cards that might improve the situation, especially if you face similar problems more frequent. Keep in mind, you can get to rank 18, 19 with all sorts of decks, so the deck doesn't have to be perfect (later of course you will be less and less flexible with the cards you can use).

@minti043 I don't think Radovid or Foltest is really making a huge difference here. It probably also depends on what leader you feel most comfortable playing with. The thing with Vandergrifts blade is that it's limited to non-gold card, which from my point of view - most of the time - makes it significantly weaker than Artefact Compression and Mandrake. The silver NR card that toggles the lock status is Margarita of Aretuza - I think she's pretty good.

In general, I'd play the deck for as long as it works for you and you enjoy playing it. But perhaps pay attention to what works and what doesn't during a game, and try to look out for cards that might improve the situation, especially if you face similar problems more frequent. Keep in mind, you can get to rank 18, 19 with all sorts of decks, so the deck doesn't have to be perfect (later of course you will be less and less flexible with the cards you can use).

@minti043 I don't think Radovid or Foltest is really making a huge difference here. It probably also depends on what leader you feel most comfortable playing with. The thing with Vandergrifts blade is that it's limited to non-gold card, which from my point of view - most of the time - makes it significantly weaker than Artefact Compression and Mandrake. The silver NR card that toggles the lock status is Margarita of Aretuza - I think she's pretty good.
Margarita ofcourse :D how did i forgot that :D I know every deck has a silver locker but that leader's lock statuses are very usefull.
When you are building a deck on your own its important to calculate the overal stats you get and deck slimming doesn't get calculated acurately that way. There are things that work on theory and totally fail when practised. So trying out is important but not as important as the maths you do. Rank 18 is easy to obtain indeed and climbing above that requires more grinding than deckbuilding. And suprprising your oponent is the most common win condition you will want.
i see he is playing the powerhouses with most deck slimming its usefull and if you can play all your cards your leader basicly gave you about 19 stats since you can run enough deck slim with northern realm . most decks require ridiculous amounts of restrictions to reach that much stats so its viable you can refine that logic with that leader. But there are things that do more points than just a leader with 19 stats.
Thats why i recomended Reaver scouts its basicly +3 deckslim whitch is 6 stats if you play them with that leader. Although the stripe comando is the ultimate deck slim value. you get a golden card that suports that archetype and it is possible to get with it 24 stats value. but the 2 times lock status can give you even more the longer the rounds go and can reach skyhigh values.

Ok i kinda overcalculated this boost now that i look at the numbers again since sigismuns is spy and i kinda counted him to get a + 1 boost and some card slims are not +1 in the optimum deck i had in mind. Its inicial idea i haven't made the actual math but i hope you get the idea. As starter in the game you should strife to get cards that will give you value no matter what deck you play since the best way to learn how to play againts a deck is if you try it yourself. There are great cards in the neutral format that will prove very usefull like scorchand muzzle. They can replace core cards since they give plenty of points value muzzle is with potential of 16 and even more if you pick a core card from your oponent and if you find a place to get 20 points of scorch that can give any good build deck winning swing. As example you play Foltest with slims and get some 16+ 5 base power a 21 points of stat and than 20 points from scorch you have won. since there is max base stats and potential stats in this game. The max base power is 15 for gold 13 for silver and 11 for bronze you can find base powered no ability cards and there will not be any other one turn swing card that will overcome those without downside. And 25 points is the max potential points for a card. So if you find cards that can exxed those its that is powerfull. And than all you need is experiment.

I cannot run scorch I seldom run into enemies with stronger units.
I have it in my arsenal it's just not viable here. Thanks anyways.

Deck thinning I'm giving thought.

Minti, Roach does beg to be replaced agreed. I was thinking marching orders, or the other silver that buffs/pulls a unit from the deck. Possibly mixed in with a unit that thins the deck 4-5 cards ultimately. (Reinforcements / Marching Orders).

Yep I've decided Marching Orders in for Roach. Pulls Stennis or Elect and boosts. Pure value, if I have Stennis gaining an Elect that's buffed is priceless it can survive Alzur's thunder and I can reapply armor via TS/TB or Metz.

Makes the deck run more like a battery and with higher value.

Last edited:
Well i would keep sabrina too since maulers are not that great for removal. You can find better value cards than them. Although there are better alternatives than her. You will need some extra scraps for them. So keep her for now. And you can't run scorch becouse you have sigismund :D it would be funny to play him and than scorch your own guys ;D.
I would replace roach asap, in your current deck the 3 silver witchers are a great move for you. they wil lgive you instant stats recovery if you play your leader on turn one whitch is kinda convincing you get extra value from the leader. And roach is a bad card. It is helpfull but not as much as a full extra silver card.And i would keep sabrina over deathmold since you will need some extra slots in your silver arsenal and most of your good removal comes from there (Although sigismund dijkstra is amazing gold removal) I know sabrina is not that amazing becouse of many reasons. But there is a world where she gets enough value to be better than a lot of cards (as i stated earlyer a silver card with a potential of 20 is worth keeping. Although you may not always get the full value of her). well if i had to choose 6 silvers cards for you that would be the 3 witchers, sabrina, Prince stanis, Margarita of aretuza ( for me she is like running dudu and deathmold in one cardor you can just hav dethmold there) Or if you want you can put the luberkin-bothling and still get good value not as great as the withcers but you keep an extra silver. Although Huber Rejk gives you the most value out of King foltest and he is kinda better than vincent in your case.
However if you deside to change your leader you can get more control value for soem stats and than i will recomend you using Vincent - Trolo And margarita gets more value you ditch sabrina since you kinda don't need her gimmic anymore for dethmold or vandergrift's blade or both. And you can squeez eciri nova instead of keitra metz although if you do choose the ciri nova option Thaler is the best suport card for her since it lets you play around your oponents scorch becouse it gives you the oportunity to be the last person to play a card.
Experiment a bit i am shure you can get to the position you want this season.

If you add stuff like Reinforcement or Marching Orders you can consider adding John Natalis to your deck (maybe instead of Dijkstra). John Natalis - Reinforcement - Stennis is a combo that can thin your deck a lot. Of course you'd need more than one tactic card to rely on this gold (First Light and Reconnaissance are bronze tactic cards that can be useful).

Top Bottom